Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
GM CAI TUNE Lean/Rich

Hello all, I was wondering the reflash/tune or w.e included in the GM branded CAI is that to make the car leaner or richer fuel wise?
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
Idk about this case specifically, but usually more air leans the car out a bit. So you give it more fuel in the tune to compensate.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
It's almost certainly to correct the MAF transfer function. I seriously doubt any other tuning was done beyond that.

Here's my notes after talking to one of the engineers at Camaro Fest:
He mentioned the tune corrects the MAF linearization table and was critical. Going through cert process with agencies is why it's taking long for them to release it. Without tune, you could see some level of power gain initially, but once system is in a learned state you will not see much of a gain at all. With their latest tune, they are not seeing enough of a gain in power to advertise anything (maybe up to 3hp). This speaks volumes to how good the stock airbox really is. I personally would keep the stock airbox, but if I was in the market for one I would definitely go with the GM part that comes with a tune and corrects the MAF signal.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463952

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
It's almost certainly to correct the MAF transfer function. I seriously doubt any other tuning was done beyond that.

Here's my notes after talking to one of the engineers at Camaro Fest:
He mentioned the tune corrects the MAF linearization table and was critical. Going through cert process with agencies is why it's taking long for them to release it. Without tune, you could see some level of power gain initially, but once system is in a learned state you will not see much of a gain at all. With their latest tune, they are not seeing enough of a gain in power to advertise anything (maybe up to 3hp). This speaks volumes to how good the stock airbox really is. I personally would keep the stock airbox, but if I was in the market for one I would definitely go with the GM part that comes with a tune and corrects the MAF signal.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463952
Thanks for the write up. Very helpful
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
aland12345

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow Camaro vert
I installed the GM CAI on my 2016 V6 and it almost immediately set the check engine light. Talking with the service advisor (this guy knew his stuff) He stated that the induction tube had a greater diameter and slightly greater flow thru the new air filter. So the mass airflow sensor would have a greater mass of air passing it at a given flow rate. The tune simply calibrates the mass air flow sensor to original state to allow for greater air flow no richer or leaner. (MAF linearization?) But finding cold air to induct in Phoenix in August is impossible.
aland12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland12345 View Post
I installed the GM CAI on my 2016 V6 and it almost immediately set the check engine light. Talking with the service advisor (this guy knew his stuff) He stated that the induction tube had a greater diameter and slightly greater flow thru the new air filter. So the mass airflow sensor would have a greater mass of air passing it at a given flow rate. The tune simply calibrates the mass air flow sensor to original state to allow for greater air flow no richer or leaner. (MAF linearization?) But finding cold air to induct in Phoenix in August is impossible.

Same thing in Texas.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland12345 View Post
That's right. The larger diameter intake causes the MAF to report less air mass than actual (due to lower air velocity in the larger diameter), therefore causing a lean condition. The CEL is a system too lean error (I got it too - both cylinder banks). The GM tune recalibrates the MAF for the larger diameter intake, but I don't know that it changes the actual A/F tuning. I'd love to see honest before and after dynos and A/F ratios to see if there is any tuning difference or if any improvement is simply from less restriction on the intake.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
My guess is they keep the same A/F as stock or they wouldn't warrantee it. That's also why there are zero to very little gains from it.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
My guess is they keep the same A/F as stock or they wouldn't warrantee it. That's also why there are zero to very little gains from it.
And if that is the case (and I'm not saying it isn't) then what's the purpose?
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
how to replace the MASS air flow sensor on a 16 2ss. I actually went to Autozone and the code said left bank too lean which scared me to death. So i had to order one as a/c delco is out of stock and they don't know when they will be getting any new ones. so i went reluctantly with the autozone brand. I also have a whipple sitting on top nice and pretty. any advice would be much appreciated.
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote