Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Exclamation Apple Carplay Song Skip Lag

I apologize if this is a well known issue, I tried searching, but almost every post with the work lag or delay is discussing throttle issues.

My daily is a 2016 2SS vert. I use Apple Carplay every single time I'm in the car. My issue is that when I use the software buttons in carplay to skip songs, it's super responsive. It skips exactly when I touch the button. No issues whatsoever. But when I try to skip with the physical buttons under the radio or the steering wheel controls, there is a delay between when you press it and when it skips. It's only a second or two, but if you ever try to skip twice in a row, it can literally take 30+ seconds for it to actually skip.

I have noticed that when skipping multiple songs and you're in the middle of one of these long delays, my HUD shows several songs behind and then slowly changes songs on the HUD every 10 seconds or so. I realize that the technology is a few years old at this point, but I wasn't sure if this is just the way 2016's are at this point, or if I might be having an actual issue.

An acquaintance of mine drove a 2018 Cruze, and its hardware buttons are just as fast as the software buttons, but it is a couple years newer tech, and doesn't have a HUD.

Has anyone else experience this? If so did you find a solution? Or just learn to live with it?

Thanks!
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
WldchrySS

Drives: 2021 camaro ss
I drive a 2021 and like you I use apple CarPlay but have not noticed any lag as I use the wheel controls more than the head unit controls. My right hand is usually on the shifter(m6).
WldchrySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
I apologize if this is a well known issue, I tried searching, but almost every post with the work lag or delay is discussing throttle issues.

My daily is a 2016 2SS vert. I use Apple Carplay every single time I'm in the car. My issue is that when I use the software buttons in carplay to skip songs, it's super responsive. It skips exactly when I touch the button. No issues whatsoever. But when I try to skip with the physical buttons under the radio or the steering wheel controls, there is a delay between when you press it and when it skips. It's only a second or two, but if you ever try to skip twice in a row, it can literally take 30+ seconds for it to actually skip.

I have noticed that when skipping multiple songs and you're in the middle of one of these long delays, my HUD shows several songs behind and then slowly changes songs on the HUD every 10 seconds or so. I realize that the technology is a few years old at this point, but I wasn't sure if this is just the way 2016's are at this point, or if I might be having an actual issue.

An acquaintance of mine drove a 2018 Cruze, and its hardware buttons are just as fast as the software buttons, but it is a couple years newer tech, and doesn't have a HUD.

Has anyone else experience this? If so did you find a solution? Or just learn to live with it?

Thanks!

You aren't alone. My 2017 takes forever. It's nearly instant in my wife's Honda with same phone.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
PeppaNoPig

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Same mine isn't the quickest, I got a 2017 Camaro ZL1. I'm more concerned about full playlists and songs not loading while driving
PeppaNoPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The lag is 100% the result is horrible programming on the part of the Infotainment system. They have the software built in such a way that the vehicle has to pop up the display graphic to show the music info in the gauge cluster before it will skip. It works like this in all recent model GM's and I hate it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was hoping I just had a bad HMI unit or something I could fix, but it is what it is. It's a minor annoyance, but nothing I can't get over until my next upgrade.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote