Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
As far as wether the encounter was 'Odd', I'd say no. Not in the situation described. These people are trained to be persistant. Yes it's uncool to go beyond the front door or openly accessible door, but they are trained ot do so. Sucks, but true. I wouldn't worry about it.
You don't think it's just a little bit odd that they moved from the front door without even ringing twice to the carport, took photos of the car, and ignored you banging on the door?

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
What would the Great Danes do, lick somebody to death?
Yeh great danes are not the best dogs to use as guard dogs.

Rottweilers are best. They are inherently bred to work as guard dogs, have a bite force of around 300 pounds, instinctively know how to pull intruders down, are just as smart as german shepherds and are directly related to the roman war dog. There is a reason why the best military forces only use rottweilers and german shepherds. Also, if they are taught right will never harm your family and friends. It's just a time consuming breed that requires a lot of training, but so do german shepherds.

Also, you should install security cameras around your house. Nowadays you can get some extremely good sony wireless security cameras that basically work on a system similar to a computer network router and no need for a monitor, as you can get the system hooked up to your t.v. You will be able to see if there are any weird people taking a walk around.

Now I don't know what a carport is, but is it a garage? If it's a garage then you can get these things that you mount on the walls, and shoot lasers to each other. Seeing as how these lasers are invisible if someone walks through them while they are on, an alarm will go off.

I'm not sure if you can get a gun since it depends on where you live and what laws are in effect in that area. If you can get a gun, invest in something good, a glock, beretta, or something along the lines.

Also, as I said previously get a good metal baseball bat, taser gun and a large can of pepper spray.

You could be a little paranoid, I don't want to insult you and the only person that can decide is a psychologist. I'd rather live without fear than in fear but if you're scared and want to be safe then invest in all the things that I have suggested. No one will be able to mess with you successfully.

Last edited by 2000v6; 03-25-2010 at 04:14 PM.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
little suspicious
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I take my digital camera with me everywhere in case I see a Camaro.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenCamaroChick View Post
Today someone rang my doorbell and, in the time it took me to walk the few steps from the bedroom, I could see through the window he was walking towards the carport (basically he didn't wait for me to answer the door). There's a glass door in the kitchen that leads to the carport, so I go in there and look out to see where the guy went. Low and behold, he's all the way at the rear of the carport (near the bikes) taking pictures of my car.
The exact moment you should have stopped and called the cops. You wouldn't even have to press charges for trespass, if he's a badguy he'd know you mean business, and if he was innocent and really just that clueless, he wouldn't think twice about snooping in someone's garage again.

Its good to be suspicious in situations like that. The garage thing is just plain damn creepy, dunno why anyone would think that's alright. Yall have any home defense ISHTF?
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Update

I finally found a number for the regional office and it turns out they did have someone in the neighborhood today. That being said I still feel a little apprehensive about the way things went down. I'm flattered that the guy liked my car and normally I would enjoy chatting about it, but something about this made my spidey sense tingle. Anyways, I'll address some of your comments here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6 View Post
If you're waving a baseball bat, I'm pretty sure they will get scared off.
The old saying "no sense bringing a knife to a gunfight" comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
That is why I have 2 Great Danes that are inside dogs.
We've got 2 good-sized inside dogs as well, one that I'm fairly sure would attack if he thought I was in danger. It does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
You might want to invest in a CCTV camera and recorder for your carport. Maybe a infra-red beam across the front of the carport. Someone breaks the beam an alarm sounds. I don't think you're paranoid at all. Sounds like there's a lot of money parked at your house!
I do have a camera out there that works with a vcr but it's a PITA to remember to set up the tape everyday (I know, I know). As for there being a lot of money out there... that's the thing that makes me paranoid. There's my camaro, 2 bikes, a hot tub and a building full of equipment/tools. Now, if I'm a thief looking to rob somebody, my house would certainly be on the radar.

Quote:
Have you had something bad happen to you before?
No, thank God. But, to be honest, I was raised in a very bad neighborhood in a family full of criminals, mostly burglars, and because of that I know how to think like one. To clarify, other than occasionally driving too fast or running a red light I've never broken a law in my life. I ABHOR thieves. No one has the right to take something from someone who worked their ass off to get it. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I just don't answer the door. I know when I'm expecting company.
True, but burglars wait for a house to be empty. If they think no one's home that's a prime opportunity.

In any case, I do think it's better to be safe than sorry. It just pisses me off that things have to be that way. On the flip side... that guy was out trying to make a buck in the rain, stopped to admire a good looking car and got yelled at by some crazy lady hiding behind her door lol. (he still should not have come all the way up on the back of my carport, not cool). As sad as it sounds, I will react the same way if it happens again. And hopefully I will be able to wall in the carport soon.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
These situations are what they make firearms for.... Not saying you should have shot the guy or anything, but you would have been fully in your rights to just let him see that you are armed (he DID trespass on your property), and that should definitely have sent the message that he was being offensive.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I just don't answer the door. I know when I'm expecting company.
Very simple solution. Works everytime.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #23
BlackSS831

Drives: 2008 Lexus IS350
Get a dog
BlackSS831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Very simple solution. Works everytime.
until they walk into your carport and start doing god knows what in there...

Fortunately I live in a small town and don't usually have problems like these. The one time I did though

Was just getting my room mate moved in shortly after I had bought my house. Roomie and I were standing by my car talking, when he motions over my shoulder. Lo and behold, some guy actually had the nerve to let his lil dog walk up and start taking a crap in my yard... AS I'M STANDING THERE!!?! I shouted to him 'Hey! That is MY yard, get your dog off of it!' Haven't seen him around since.

Point is, you have to let people know that you are in charge of your property, and you're not gonna take crap from anyone trying to violate it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggles View Post
Not trying to sound like Billy BadA$$...

But if ANYONE comes to my door, short of them being a 4th grade child selling candy, I answer my door with my gun secured to my hip. I never allow them to see it (keep it concealed) but I know its there just in case...

Yeah, call me paranoid but I call it PREPARED!
Damn, I miss living in Texas!
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRSLY View Post
You don't think it's just a little bit odd that they moved from the front door without even ringing twice to the carport, took photos of the car, and ignored you banging on the door?
Nope. I've actually done it. Ring a bell as I'm looking around and notice something, like maybe an obvious entarance that is used more, or maybe he thought he heard the owner near the carport, or maybe he saw a bad ass car he wanted to check out. Not knowing the layout, I'm kinda relating it to my house. I live on a corner lot, and our front door is rarely used. Our cars sit in the driveway on the other side and street.

The fact he rang the doorbell was the good fact. If he was up to no good, I doubt he'd ring the doorbell and then sneak around the house. Unless he was up for a challenge.

Alert the occupant and then try and sneak around?

Again. I didn't see anything in the situation that threw red flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenCamaroChick View Post
I ABHOR thieves. No one has the right to take something from someone who worked their ass off to get it. Period.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
.....you have to let people know that you are in charge of your property, and you're not gonna take crap from anyone trying to violate it.
Very true. And it works too. Held one of my sons freinds at gun point one night. Word got around quick.

He was sneaking around my sons window at 2AM talking to my son. Dog barked really hard (you know 'The Bark') and I got up, snuck around the other side of the house and in the dark, I didn't know who the hell it was. Keep in mind, this kids over 6 ft. tall. he bout crapped himself, until I realized who it was.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #28
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Very true. And it works too. Held one of my sons freinds at gun point one night. Word got around quick.

He was sneaking around my sons window at 2AM talking to my son. Dog barked really hard (you know 'The Bark') and I got up, snuck around the other side of the house and in the dark, I didn't know who the hell it was. Keep in mind, this kids over 6 ft. tall. he bout crapped himself, until I realized who it was.
that is priceless. Thankfully that's all it turned out to be of course!