#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I am roughly the same age as your friend, and 16 is too young -even if it wasn't illegal. He should absolutely run away, and hope there aren't any legal problems. Saying she lied just won't cut it, he's the adult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
While I do agree with you thats its too much of an age gap, I also want to point out that it is not necessarily against the law. The age of consent is not set federally, but on a state by state level. Here in Oklahoma, for example, 16 is the age of consent.
- X
You are correct. In Canada as well as most of the US, plus many other nations, 16 is the age of consent. Scary part is, in Canada it was raised to 16 less than 2 years ago. Used to be 14. However, their age difference does matter if an individual is less than 18. I believe the allowed difference is 4 years, which is a bit much IMO. There is still a pretty big difference between 16 and 20. Or 14 and 18.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #30
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I've seen 'hotties' that turned out to be 16

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #31
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
NO A man of 25 should not even entertain the possibility of a relationship with someone of that age. If he would only stop for a second and think of her emotional maturity at that age that should give him pause. There is a world of difference between 16-25 than 25-34. Just as another member stated if she wasn't up front about her age to begin with then what else might she be hiding or what else might she do to get attention in the future. TROUBLE!

I have a little sister who will be 15 and I know I would be headhunting someone if I found out she was in this situation.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #32
Knightman
Account Suspended

Drives: Soon
As bad as the scenario sounds (and yes it does sound bad) I see it EXACTLY the same when you have a 40+ year old guy and a 20-25 year old girl. All I can think is "dude, when you graduated high school, she was in pre-school.......yuck."
Knightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #33
Vladi
Russian maFFia

Drives: 09-SLK350
Location: Walnut Creek.CA, Turku Finland , St-Petersburg Russia
If they love each other why not???? if they really love each other,age doesn`t mean anything, and sorry for being rude this formula is bull.... age is no differents when two people love each other, if you notice that age is main thing in relationship,you`d never be happy,it is ridicilous to find your only one by matching criteries. as to the situation,why not,maybe they will be sweet couple for many many years,and will die at the same day
Vladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
The formula is pretty funny. Listen there is no formula, it is common sense and situational dependant.
I agree, there is no real formula. This is just for those who don't have that common sense! Do I think that an 18 and 28 year old shouldn't go out if they choose? Of course not. It is a large gap and may not work in many cases, but in others it can turn out as it did for you.

Just as you said, it depends on the situation. Your situation worked between you and your wife at the time you met. But at one point you were 18 and she was 8. I'm pretty sure it would have been a problem then, and illegal in at least 49 states (not sure about West Virginia)

While I agree with you on that point, I'm not sure I agree that underage is always a no-no. Now, before you call Chris Hansen, I'm talking about situations like someone who is 18 dating someone who is 17. I suppose I should also include sex in the equation, because that is the actual part that is illegal. I think some states have gotten it right by putting laws in place to protect those who are technically adults (18) against being branded a sex offender for life if they have a sexual relationship with their 17 year old girlfriend.

In our original poster's case, I think the spread is way too wide, and wouldn't fall anywhere near the mark for being acceptable.

*Sorry WV, I had to pick someone to make the joke work...this time it was you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi View Post
If they love each other why not???? if they really love each other,age doesn`t mean anything, and sorry for being rude this formula is bull.... age is no differents when two people love each other, if you notice that age is main thing in relationship,you`d never be happy,it is ridicilous to find your only one by matching criteries. as to the situation,why not,maybe they will be sweet couple for many many years,and will die at the same day
Okay, by your "age doesn't mean anything" logic and if "two people are in love" should we expect to see you in a relationship with a 7 year old? Age does matter.

Does a 15 year difference matter when the couple is 35 and 50? Not so much. Does it matter when they are 19 and 4? I think you can see that it does.

During the years between 12-14 and about 18-20 there is a tremendous swing in human physiology. Now, I don't want to get into a whole discussion about neural growth curves versus somatic growth curves, but if we have to do so, so be it. At age 16 girls are not nearly as mature as they will be in just 2 or 3 years. For boys the curve starts even later than that.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #35
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi View Post
It means something when its between an adult and a kid. If it was between a 35 year old and a 26 year old that is way different, as would 50 vs 32. No matter how mature a kid seems, they are still a kid. While major physical development ends in the mid to late teens, there are still major mental changes which continue on into your 20's. Simply put, kids in their mid teens can't think like an adult. Therefore, it is inappropriate for them to have a relationship with an adult.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #36
leperkhaun

Drives: Looking to buy a SS
wow.

why would you date someone who has a bedtime and has to ask their parents if they can stay out late?

your friend knows the answer, you should disassociate yourself from him if he is seriously considering this.
leperkhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #37
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightman View Post
As bad as the scenario sounds (and yes it does sound bad) I see it EXACTLY the same when you have a 40+ year old guy and a 20-25 year old girl. All I can think is "dude, when you graduated high school, she was in pre-school.......yuck."
brad pitt is 12 years older than angelina jolie also. Lots of guys do dat
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I still live like I'm 16, never let yourself get old and boring.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #39
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
No. Anyone under 18 shouldn't be in a serious relationship yet.
I've been in a serious relationship since I was 17...8 years ago...it's rare, but it does work sometimes

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #40
2SS10RS

Drives: over the speed limit
sounds like legal trouble to me
2SS10RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #41
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
"The formula" for who is in your age range to date, as I have been taught to understand it, is 1/2 your age plus 7.

So, 1/2 of 25=12.5 + 7 = 19.5. That means she is 3.5 years too young to be dating the guy.

19 can date 16.5
20 can date 17
21 can date 17.5
This was me, exactly. I met my then future wife about 6 months after she turned 16. I was 19 at the time. Our parents actually set us up, so it was all ok to them. We got married 1 month before I turned 21 and she was 17.5 which is still within the boundaries of the formula. Her parents were all for it since she graduated early anyway. Her father actually had to give a sworn statement of his permission when we got our marriage license!

Back to the issue at hand, at 16 your range should be -1 to +3 and thats it. At 25, your range should be -6 (being generous here) to +15 (after that it gets almost as weird as to far negative since they could be almost as old as your parents).

Definitely tell him call it off, even if she did lie about her age at first or seems older than she is. Thats just too much of an age gap for 16.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #42
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Very good. I like this response so far.

BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT,

Are you Fing serious? I'd KILL a MFer for messing with my daughter at 25. I don't care if it was my daughter that was the persuer. TELL YOUR PERV FREIND TO SEEK HELP. How bout a little personal restraint. YES I've seen 'hotties' that turned out to be 16 but think about it. a few months ago she was FIFTEEN (15). A 16 year old can look 18, and have the bod (I just got the willies) of 21 but YOU CAN TELL!!!!!!!!

Did he meet her at recess? On the playground? Crap....... this is a joke right?

Ok. You got me...........
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote