Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-14-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Power steering overheat, no code stored.

This issue is not symptomatic of Recall N182182760 Loss of Power Steering Assist.

I have spent a good amount of time searching the forums and have been unable to find symptoms similar to the issue that I suffered, although I believe that I recall reading of a member encountering this problem a year or two ago.

Early this morning, I was driving on a semi technical mountain road. Rapid elevation changes, tight hairpins with moderate length straights. Temps high 60s-low70s. The run is a little over 7 miles each way 2500ft.-7800ft. I have made this run hundreds of times and dozens of times in the ZLE without issue. All fluids were well within acceptable pressure and temperature parameters. Car was running great, she was very happy with the lower IATs.

It was my second descent. PDR was on for both climbs and 1st descent, unfortunately I forgot to turn it back on after second climb. So, no visual record.

I was mid turn, trailing off a bit and suddenly the front end began shaking violently, steering wheel was oscillating 10 degrees R to L. Very difficult to control. Although I recall seeing a steering overheat message, I was too busy keeping myself from slamming into a rock wall to absorb the note.

Car did not go into limp mode, I pulled off as soon as possible. While stopped, the car continued to shake and the wheel continued to visibly oscillate. I shut her down and the rack motor and car continued to vibrate although significantly less violently. I took a look and nothing was obvious, finally got the key fob out of range and it stopped.

I changed my panties and let her sit a bit. On restart, all was well. I drove another 60 miles or so (significantly less spirited) without issue.

She just spent the last hour or two up on stands, pulled the undertray and checked all of the usual suspect harnesses without finding anything out of sorts. Code reader showed nothing, no faults, pending, or permanent DTCs.

Any feedback from members with any ideas or who may have experienced a similar issue and/or had it resolved is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:40 AM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
No code after all that severe malfunctioning, that sucks. Today I actually installed my power steering cold air ducts, after reading this glad I did. I would never expect to see that on a canyon run, and haven't personally seen the reports of it on track either but clearly there are enough PS overheating issues that they created the ducts.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
No code after all that severe malfunctioning, that sucks. Today I actually installed my power steering cold air ducts, after reading this glad I did. I would never expect to see that on a canyon run, and haven't personally seen the reports of it on track either but clearly there are enough PS overheating issues that they created the ducts.
Thanks for the input. I just reviewed PDR with Cosworth Pi in hopes for some insight into cause and discovered nothing out of the ordinary.

FWIW, I was pushing pretty hard, I saw 1.14 lat Gs a bunch and 1.15 a time or two. I'll get back underneath in the morning, hopefully I missed a harness short or a bad connection. I'm dreading the whole dealership warranty claim soap opera... especially with no code.

Ironic, those ducts were one of the first things I thought of when the car started acting up. Definitely my next investment.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Thanks for the input. I just reviewed PDR with Cosworth Pi in hopes for some insight into cause and discovered nothing out of the ordinary.

FWIW, I was pushing pretty hard, I saw 1.14 lat Gs a bunch and 1.15 a time or two. I'll get back underneath in the morning, hopefully I missed a harness short or a bad connection. I'm dreading the whole dealership warranty claim soap opera... especially with no code.

Ironic, those ducts were one of the first things I thought of when the car started acting up. Definitely my next investment.
Ducts are only ~$100 shipped and takes less than an hour, unless you're like me and enjoy looking at the underside of your ZLE.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Hi waterman, I experienced exactly the same issue on the racetrack this Saturday. Did you get your problem fixed? I don't think it is temperature related, as it happened to me only after very few laps. cheers cirpower

Last edited by cirpower; 06-29-2020 at 03:36 PM.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Ducts are only ~$100 shipped and takes less than an hour, unless you're like me and enjoy looking at the underside of your ZLE.
Where do you get these ducts?
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
cirpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Where do you get these ducts?
I cannot see how the ducts will help our issue, waterman's issue happened on a spritied drive in relatively cold temperatures and mine after 3 laps on the racetrack that does not have very many turns...
Old 07-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
I cannot see how the ducts will help our issue, waterman's issue happened on a spritied drive in relatively cold temperatures and mine after 3 laps on the racetrack that does not have very many turns...
Definitely does not make sense
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

May want to double-check the EPAS connectors and the associated wire loom for minor rub-through. TSB 19-NA-026

Quote:
My understanding is that the scoops are to help purge heat from the lower portion of the engine compartment under track/extreme driving as the EPAS can be effected by the added heat from the LT4 powertrain. The other Camaros (i.e. SS and SS 1LE) don't get the scoops with the vehicle, aren't included in the bulletin for the scoops, nor have I heard them need them. I have them (bought them in case) for my SS 1LE and have not installed them yet (I've not seen issues in any of the track days I've done 80F+).

The steering issues I've heard on none-ZL1 cars is either related to 1: the recall, 2: early programming (mostly 2016 cars) or 3: rare occurrence of connector not seated correct or wire loom rub-though.

There are two things to the kit: the scoops and opening up the side portion of the cradle a little bit (with the removal of the factor deflectors, which extend over the bottom lip of the side of the cradle).

TSB 19-NA-030
"This may be caused by reduced air flow around the power steering gear during extreme track temperatures."
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=41
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=44
GT4.R area for comparison/shits-and-giggles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mountain; 07-07-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added TSB
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
May want to double-check the EPAS connectors and the associated wire loom for minor rub-through. TSB 19-NA-026

My understanding is that the scoops are to help purge heat from the lower portion of the engine compartment under track/extreme driving as the EPAS can be effected by the added heat from the LT4 powertrain. The other Camaros (i.e. SS and SS 1LE) don't get the scoops with the vehicle, aren't included in the bulletin for the scoops, nor have I heard them need them. I have them (bought them in case) for my SS 1LE and have not installed them yet (I've not seen issues in any of the track days I've done 80F+).

The steering issues I've heard on none-ZL1 cars is either related to 1: the recall, 2: early programming (mostly 2016 cars) or 3: rare occurrence of connector not seated correct or wire loom rub-though.

There are two things to the kit: the scoops and opening up the side portion of the cradle a little bit (with the removal of the factor deflectors, which extend over the bottom lip of the side of the cradle).

TSB 19-NA-030
"This may be caused by reduced air flow around the power steering gear during extreme track temperatures."
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=41
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=44
GT4.R area for comparison/shits-and-giggles.
Thanks for chiming in, your feedback is appreciated. The suspension and brakes on that GT4.R are super sexy, nice pic.

I've checked the harnesses and looms as well as all connections multiple times, especially in the recognized trouble spots, with no luck.

cirpower has his in the shop now and hopefully his dealer with Chevys help will be able to figure out the issue.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
cirpower

As noted in my other post the dealership told me this was a known issue and it can be fixed with an update of the power steering control unit software.

Does anyone have access to the full TSB 19-NA-030?

cheers
cirpower
Old 07-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
waterman

Quote:
As noted in my other post the dealership told me this was a known issue and it can be fixed with an update of the power steering control unit software.

cheers
cirpower
Thank you sir!

Have you gotten your car back yet?
Old 07-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:

cheers
cirpower
That is the TSB to install the EPAS scoops. No calibration involved in that TSB.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
cirpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
That is the TSB to install the EPAS scoops. No calibration involved in that TSB.
Thanks, but what is the issue that is addressed in the TSB?

Tags
19-na-130, power steering issue