Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
RobbyRocketz

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro SS Mosaic Black
Opinions on Magnuson Superchargers.

Local shop offering too do the new Magnuson kit for $8000 out the door, includes all labor, fluids, tuning.

Not familiar with the brand, just curious as too reliability of their setups, opinions of people that actually have experience with this company would be greatly appreciated.

Its for my 2016 2SS Camaro.

Thanks
RobbyRocketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
they are one of best and best known. The boost curve is flatter and quicker than a procharger. They are OEM quality. IMO the mags can last longer, I've had many a powerdyne supercharger, they all have their plus and minuses. For a long time the powerdyne, procharger and / or vortec has greater wheel efficiencies. But the new twisted lobe superchargers are really right up there (I think the mag has the newest and best TVS2300). If money no object I'd get the mag. For me I have just about enough in the checking account for the procharger.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 03-05-2016 at 07:15 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #3
RobbyRocketz

Thank you brother.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I had a magnacharger or magnuson on my Pontiac G8GT and it was awesome. That would probably be my choice again. Ramps up very quickly, looks great under the hood also. It will be about the same price as a procharger out the door.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
There are many great superchargers out there, Magnuson is one of the most known and best ones. Can't go wrong with them. A few things you need to keep in mind are the system differences and the power curves of them. Most are roots systems which means that they are an "all in one" unit that replaces your intake manifold. Has intercooler, intake manifold, pulley etc all together.

Roots systems are favored by all manufacturers due to the easy of install and it being an "all in one" system. From my own research and comparisons of dyno charts vs procharger, all roots system ends up putting more power towards the top end where as the procharger puts more power down low. No one could say X system is better than Y and vise versa. The better system is what YOU want when it comes to it. I would prefer down low power over top end power just because down low is always more usable for me.

When you are doing top speed runs most prefer a roots supercharger over a procharger. On road course, no boost then procharger then roots prefered, drag procharger then roots system seems to yield the best.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
They are good, but boring blowers IMHO, factory looking, quiet, good for a daily.
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
oldman

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...charger-guide/

is a good read.
This is a good read it is in two parts:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/proje...ced-induction/

My experience is with turbo and Powerdyne which is similar to the Procharger. That said the OEM likes the twisted roots and IMO, I got fiends with some ancient Mag / Jackson Racing roots superchargers with well over 100K of abuse. I don't know how long a Procharger works with their internal oil bath. The Powerdyne is a belt and they last about 50K before rebuild and they are easy to rebuild.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Magnasun rocks

So you cant go wrong with The Heartbeat superchargers ever,We hold records with them and look to have a great future with them as well for our High Horsepower ADM Cars.

If you need any assistance with your decision feel free to call me.

We have alot of options in this area for the new 6th gen.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...charger-guide/

is a good read.
This is a good read it is in two parts:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/proje...ced-induction/

My experience is with turbo and Powerdyne which is similar to the Procharger. That said the OEM likes the twisted roots and IMO, I got fiends with some ancient Mag / Jackson Racing roots superchargers with well over 100K of abuse. I don't know how long a Procharger works with their internal oil bath. The Powerdyne is a belt and they last about 50K before rebuild and they are easy to rebuild.
Thank you for the articles!!! Will definitely read them when I get the chance! I bookmarked em for now!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Great price for a great product....installed to boot !!!! I am a big fan of the positive displacement power adders vs the centri's especially it you plan to street drive it more than track it. My only concern ( and why I haven't gotten one yet ) is the high compression of the LT1 engine, I am interested to see the longevity of the motor with fi. I may be leaning towards spray in the near future instead. Good luck man, I'm excited for you.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Great price for a great product....installed to boot !!!! I am a big fan of the positive displacement power adders vs the centri's especially it you plan to street drive it more than track it. My only concern ( and why I haven't gotten one yet ) is the high compression of the LT1 engine, I am interested to see the longevity of the motor with fi. I may be leaning towards spray in the near future instead. Good luck man, I'm excited for you.

The High Compression is not as bad as you think,With direct injection it has a much better cooling effect than port fuel injection.Also the LT1 and LT4 both have piston squirters to air in cooling.Improvements in combustion efficiency also help improve power and torque, by allowing higher compression ratios and reducing knock sensitivity. I’d call that a win-win in the engine department.

The New LT4 is 10:1 compression,The old LS9 was 9:1 compression.

There is another cool factor-E85 on high compression boosed aplications is a huge win win as well,Its been proven that with a cam with larger fuel pump lobe and LT4 Fuel rail ad Injectors you can flow a hell of alot of fuel making this setup E85 happy.

The future looks good for these Lt engines
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I have 122k on my 5th gen with no issues and installing one on my 6th Gen. Cant go wrong.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
I have 122k on my 5th gen with no issues and installing one on my 6th Gen. Cant go wrong.
nuff said
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 AM   #14
RobbyRocketz

Thanks too everyone for sharing their experiences.
Its greatly appreciated.