Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColumbo View Post
Doesn't 37lbft + 45 degrees equal some specific lbft torque? I mean, 45 degrees is also sort of a guess, isn't it? I've never fully understood this sort of torque spec. (I mean, I understand how to do it, but I don't quite get how it is "better.")
The torque plus angle approach will ensure a more consistent clampload (vs. just specifying a torque). This is the reason that's done on critical fasteners.

IF the bolt has backed out for whatever reason, I think folks are making a mistake by re-tightening it to the spec. If you find yours to be loose, I would just replace the bolts, although the re-tightening solution would be better than nothing for short term.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
mrtoner

Drives: 2016 SS Nightfall Gray
I read the posts about loose axle bolts, and since I am driving to California this Friday, decided to stop at the dealer to have mine checked.

The dealer was not familiar with it yet, but I gave my adviser a copy of the TSB, No hassle - he wrote it up, and had a drive train mechanic check it out. None of the bolts were loose, and everything else was fine.

No charge to check it out, and we agreed if there ended up being a recall, we would deal with it then.

Always a good experience at Henderson Chevrolet...
mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #17
shawndean22

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
i would not worry about this, this is what warranties are for. Someone probably had an off. < 1% had this problem. I would check, but wouldn't not stress over this. Stuff this like happens to all manufacturers.
shawndean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndean22 View Post
i would not worry about this, this is what warranties are for. Someone probably had an off. < 1% had this problem. I would check, but wouldn't not stress over this. Stuff this like happens to all manufacturers.
In most cases I'd 100% agree with you on this, but since there's an actual design change to the bolt itself (to mitigate a known failure point), I'm a bit concerned. I'd be interested in seeing if the most recent 2018's have the updated size bolts...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Here is a decent little article about "torque to yield": http://wbtools.com.au/how-to-underst...rque-to-yield/
Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #20
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
If this is a significant problem, I would think adopting aircraft bolt locking specs would solve the problem just about for good.
Bolt heads drilled with a small hole for wiring them by pairs to prevent backout.
or,
Have tabs on the bars connecting the pairs to be bent against a flat on the bolthead.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #21
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
That's why I thought Loctite 290 might be a good option if the paint marks are still aligned:

Loctite 290 Wicking Grade MIL-SPEC Medium-High Strength Green Threadlocker is a medium-strength wicking threadlocker for pre-assembled bolts up to 1/2". Penetrates threads by capillary action. Secures set screws and other assemblies after settings are completed. Seals welds and porous metal parts. Applications include instrumentation screws, electrical connectors and set screws and also seals porosities in welds and metal parts. Mil-S-46163A Type III, Grade R. NSF/ANSI 61 Certified.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-High-.../dp/B000P1FY6O

I'm going this route if mine are still secure since it looks like the Loctite may have been applied too far up the threads on the original bolts.
This looks like what I'll do too...if all is tight.
Thanks LibertyHill, I never knew this was available!