Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #1
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Transmission/Clutch Clunking 1LE. Should I be worried?

Hey guys, have about 1000 miles on my 1LE now. Its been amazing so far but I have noticed that there is some clunking/mechanical sounds when I'm making shifts from 1-2-3 and occasionally when I bottom the clutch all the way to the floor. This happens especially at lower speeds. With it being my first manual car, I've been writing it off as normal mechanical sounds from the moving parts in the transmission and clutch, but should I actually be worried? Reading through some other threads it seems that this is somewhat normal for the TR-6060 at low speeds when not being driven hard, but just wanted to confirm.

I have also installed a skip shift eliminator but the noises are the same before and after install.
SpecialPurpose_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Hard to tell, can you record the sounds?
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Hard to tell, can you record the sounds?
Funnily enough, I've been trying to record it for the past couple days but its pretty intermittent and haven't been able to catch it on film because of that. I'll try to get it on film today, its not a loud noise so hopefully I'll be able to get it on video. I've also noticed that when the car is cold it feels as if I'm pushing through an extra gate when going into 1st or reverse, but I would assume thats just because it's cold? Seems to go away after driving the car for 5-10 mins.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I mean, you do have to push through an "extra gate" to go from 1st to reverse. Requires extra force. Can't really say without seeing it in person really.

I can just tell you that I haven't noticed anything weird on my car, I'm at 4k miles and close to 2k of those miles have been on the track.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
Hey guys, have about 1000 miles on my 1LE now. Its been amazing so far but I have noticed that there is some clunking/mechanical sounds when I'm making shifts from 1-2-3 and occasionally when I bottom the clutch all the way to the floor. This happens especially at lower speeds. With it being my first manual car, I've been writing it off as normal mechanical sounds from the moving parts in the transmission and clutch, but should I actually be worried? Reading through some other threads it seems that this is somewhat normal for the TR-6060 at low speeds when not being driven hard, but just wanted to confirm.

I have also installed a skip shift eliminator but the noises are the same before and after install.
I have my 2ss 1le for couple of weeks now and i can say the transmission is indeed little noisy and clunky, however i do believe its normal. I had a 12 2ss/rs with a manual and then a 15 mustang gtpp with manual, all had clunky and noisy transmissions. TR-6060 is a beasty tranny so don’t worry about it too much. Skip shift also doesn’t bother me because it hasn’t really forced me to shift to fourth. Since its break in period, i m riding the rpms and also trying not to shift too early. The car has been awesome so far.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:02 AM   #6
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Is this a sound you hear when your in 1st gear going slowly and push the clutch in? If so it’s a normal sound. My 2020 2 SS 1LE has always done that.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:42 AM   #7
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Being a twin disk you may be hearing the floating steel disk between the 2 friction disks. Also, at low speeds with a quiet exhaust you will hear the transmission make noise when selecting gears. The trans is much beefier than something like a gearbox in a Civic. The moving parts and contact surfaces are much bigger and they will transfer more noise because of the added inertia/mass. A quiet exhaust and low speed/rpm will make it very noticeable. These transmissions will take a pretty good beating, its worth the tradeoff.

If you are still concerned or something doesn't feel right and have a decent dealer in your area maybe you could have a tech go for a ride.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #8
SpecialPurpose_1LE

After seeing what all of you have replied, it seems like its normal, just me being paranoid about a new car lol. Like 2004YZFR1 said, most of the time its when I'm at low speeds and I push the clutch in, or shifting at low RPMs. Thank you guys for all the responses! Makes me not worried at all anymore.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:32 PM   #9
beedo

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
61k on my 18 1LE and it's clunky at low rpm as well. Always has been, this transmission seems to shift better the harder you run the car. I wouldn't worry about it
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:19 AM   #10
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
All seems normal to me, 1-2 can be a little noisy and a little notchy when cold, and yes, a little noise at low speeds. I notice mostly ~50 degrees, the warmer it is, the less noticeable it is.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #11
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Yep I can attests to most of these sounds, transmission tends to be clunky at lower gears and lower speeds, sometimes 2nd and 3rd are "notchy" and I have to REALLY put force into the shift, sometimes it's "clunks" going from 1st to 2nd at low rpm/speed, and other miscellaneous stuff when the trans is cold, almost all go away after some driving.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
and occasionally when I bottom the clutch all the way to the floor. This happens especially at lower speeds.
This doesn't sound normal to me. This is a pretty smooth transmission in my experience without any clunking and only mild stiffness when cold (meaning Northeast 20 degree cold). I really doubt any noise could be heard from the dual disc mechanism.

if this persists, I would suggest asking your dealer to let you drive another M6 so you can compare behavior. This may be related to your shifting style, this being your first manual. It's number six for me, and they all have their quirks.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote