Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
Camden45

Drives: Chevrolet Chevy
Definitive Street Tire option

My incoming SS 1LE is mainly used as a street car and weekend. Seeing the price of a set of the Goodyear's cost wasn't an eye opener, however the 6k~ mile tread is. New plan is to take them off asap, sell them and put that towards a new set of daily driving friendly set of street tires. I'm use to the Michelin Super sports/PS4S, but kind of pricey at $1800 at Costco.

Any of you guys have good recommendations? Seems like the continentals are the main choice.
Camden45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #2
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
My incoming SS 1LE is mainly used as a street car and weekend. Seeing the price of a set of the Goodyear's cost wasn't an eye opener, however the 6k~ mile tread is. New plan is to take them off asap, sell them and put that towards a new set of daily driving friendly set of street tires. I'm use to the Michelin Super sports/PS4S, but kind of pricey at $1800 at Costco.

Any of you guys have good recommendations? Seems like the continentals are the main choice.
Go to Tire rack's site and look at PS4S comparisons to others. They will be hard to beat for everyday street tire but aren't great on a track.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:04 PM   #3
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i got 19k miles out of my factory set. ss 1LE. goodyear supercar 3. they won't wear out unless you make a lot of hard turns.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i got 19k miles out of my factory set. ss 1LE. goodyear supercar 3. they won't wear out unless you make a lot of hard turns.
Well damn, I did not expect that. If that's the case, I'll definitely wear them out first instead of going through the hassle.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:58 AM   #5
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
For the price, I'm very happy with my Continental ECS. I did have a friend that could get me some very cheap, so that initially influenced my decision. I'm glad I have them, they've been really good so far. They are absolutely awesome in the rain. I drive my car everywhere now. Its actually much cheaper than driving my duramax 3500 these days, lol. I don't plan on using these tires on track, and I can't see how I'd ever push them to thier limits on a public roadway. I'd have paid more for a set of Michelins, and I don't know if it really would have benefitted me.

I liked my Continentals enough to put their CrossContact lx25 tires on my wifes Pilot Elite. Those tires are 100x better than the 2 sets of OEM Michelins we had on there.Very happy with those as well.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:07 AM   #6
Bad 1LE

Keep in mind, if you drive on the highway and mix heavy rain with even partially worn SC3s you'll likely have to deal with some hydroplaning at some point. Other than that, and a little harsher ride quality, the SC3s are an amazing tire for the price when used for what they were meant for.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:16 AM   #7
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I am just at 6K miles on my factory SC3s and they are not to the half worn point yet, I suspect 10K easily on these before needing replacement.

I also intend to replace with PS4S as I have a second set of 1LE wheels and SC3 tires, brand new, I will be able to just swap as needed going forward. Best of both worlds that way!!!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:40 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
YOu should get 10-12 maybe 15K on a set of SC3's, Id suggest you get the alignment checked, my 1LE was heavily toed out and I wore out the fronts not knowing it had a problem.
I don't recommend the ECS I have them on my car right now and my only real complaint is that the front picked up a hard push when driven aggressively, the sidewall feels spongy or there's a delay at turn-in, feels vague.
They're OK and they're fine, seem to be wearing very well, they're quiet, good in the rain but Ive been disappointed with them for that reason. I've experimented with air pressure and they're better at 33-34psi.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #9
Bad 1LE

As for the ECS, I did notice a slight push on the street on a "high speed" sweeper testing them out one night. They were still brand new at the time though. For street use, a little push is probably better than having the rear end try to walk out every chance it gets. Granted, the car does a great job mitigating oversteer on its own, a little push is easier for a novice to correct. They are a little better now but I have no intention of driving hard with these tires. The SC3s will be on another set of wheels for track time. I suppose it depends on intended purposes. For a second set of rain/comfort tires they work very well. For a do-all tire there are better options I agree.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
My driving situation changed since then and I no longer have to worry about highway speeds, rain and hydroplaning at >40mph, which when those SC3 wore out is why I looked for better, in that specific category which the ECS did deliver.

Id prefer it loose in the rear than push on the front. Most people will really like the ECS on their car without a doubt.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
goodyear supercar 3s are awesome if you live in cali and it doesnt rain alot of super cold where you are at

if you want a better daily driver and you arent going to track it get some michelin ps4s they are awesome but not as good on track
Old 05-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #12
Camden45

Car most won't see rain for most of it's life, not if I can help it. I drive my weekend cars about 4-5k miles a year, so with that I should at least get 2-3 years out of them. Hopefully enough time for the world to sort itself out with all the supply chain issues and shortages.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post

PS4S is good. It lasts about 3x what the SC3s do.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #14
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I got about 13k out of my stock sc3. They were great, but what drove me nuts was the noise they produce on their second half of life, it sounded like a bad wheel bearing (I didn't have bad wheel bearings). I coughed up the money for the PS4S. The tire feels much better overall, however I would by lying if I said it had the same dry grip. But I guess that is the trade off for double tread life.