Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 05-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #393
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
You seem to be unfamiliar with the American tradition of a road trip.

I would drive 700 miles (N CA. OR. & WA.) to get home for Christmas. When my sister graduated from UW, I did the 1500 mile round trip in a 4 day weekend. Heck, once had the flu and thought I would miss Christmas in the SF southbay. My fever broke on the 23rd, and I hit the highway from San Diego on the 24th to drive over 500 miles. I wasn't alone on the highway and traffic was doing 90 mph.

Students, Military, contract workers going home for a long weekend. Our entire culture is based around the concept of individual mobility, the personally owned vehicle (POV). You would be surprised how many drivers operate outside of the 30 mile round trip daily commute model.
You get it, lol

I will drive 3 hours just to go to a cars and coffee or car meet. I'm out in 29 Palms teaching the electronics course on base and my students will regularly take off to the coast or wherever on the weekend.

It's 35 miles from the base to the nearest Walmart. 100 miles or more is nothing to me.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #394
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It basically looks like a giant RC car frame.
It’s a bit “simplified”. Car makers are careful not to put too much out there to be reverse engineered by competitors. But otherwise, you’re not wrong. I was in an EV builder’s shop just before I left for NYIAS and saw production intent properties with full content before the body is dropped on top. Serviceability is surprisingly accessible.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #395
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactownbwoy View Post
You get it, lol

I will drive 3 hours just to go to a cars and coffee or car meet. I'm out in 29 Palms teaching the electronics course on base and my students will regularly take off to the coast or wherever on the weekend.

It's 35 miles from the base to the nearest Walmart. 100 miles or more is nothing to me.
So if your EV has 300 mile range there shouldn’t be an issue, right?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-05-2022, 12:25 PM   #396
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So if your EV has 300 mile range there shouldn’t be an issue, right?
I'm not for or against EVs. I was just talking about his comment about him addressing the other person about Americans traveling long distances over a weekend. Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact, I like the looks of the Audi RS e-tron GT and when I retire and start my next career might get myself one.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #397
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
If that were the case than used Prius’ and other hybrids would be worthless currently (they are not by the way). The batteries don’t just die immediately after warranty just like your gas engine doesn’t. There will be many local shops in the future that recondition batteries at a reasonable cost as this service will become more popular in the future. Currently the cost to recondition a hybrid battery is roughly the same cost to replace a clutch in a 6th gen camaro SS with oem parts.
I remember watching a Chrisfix DIY video on how to replace the battery in the Prius. Dealer quoted him US$4k, he did it himself for half that, so US$2k is about the parts cost.

BEVs have far larger batteries so... I think the cost can climb quite a bit here.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the shift from oil to electrons continues full speed ahead.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...for-ev-upgrade
I am just curious how it will play out. Will the Dodge world people accept them? If you think people here hate EV, you haven't seen nothing yet.

It could work out like Mach-E where a good number of people buy them, it could also end up being a "get woke, go broke" movement. Really hard to say.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #398
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
It’s a bit “simplified”. Car makers are careful not to put too much out there to be reverse engineered by competitors. But otherwise, you’re not wrong. I was in an EV builder’s shop just before I left for NYIAS and saw production intent properties with full content before the body is dropped on top. Serviceability is surprisingly accessible.
To be fair this is the one thing I do like about EV's. They are incredibly simple. I still want faster recharge times though. Tesla's manganese batteries do seem promising in both the arena of range and recharge times. I can't help but wonder if we'll see them in cars and if so how long it will be.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #399
UnknownJinX

I forgot to add, but I also don't quite buy Dodge's "oh we can't make ICE better anymore" justification on going eMuscle. Fiat side of FCA has the MultiAir. Put that stuff in a pushrod V8 and you may have some performance that can even possibly match a more conventional DOHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To be fair this is the one thing I do like about EV's. They are incredibly simple. I still want faster recharge times though. Tesla's manganese batteries do seem promising in both the arena of range and recharge times. I can't help but wonder if we'll see them in cars and if so how long it will be.
With Elon, it's better to use the "I will believe it when I see it" approach.

You can only bump up charging speed so much before heat and safety become issues. P=I×V, so you either have to bump up current or voltage to get more power, and there is a limit to both before you run into some practical issues. Like you will have some serious cooling if you are gonna charge at high speeds. Besides, batteries generally don't like being charged and discharged too quickly. There is that 8-year mandatory warranty to worry about.

Past:
Old 05-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #400
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
regarding the op electric camaro:

it doesn't matter what they call it or how good it performs. i will not buy one if it has 4 doors. if it's going to have a battery, i fully expect it to get around a corner and not look like a car from gta.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #401
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
In all fairness, the Cuban government likely doesn't have a massive contingent of Gretas looking to push aggressive/radical climate change legislation. Get enough of them at the helm and it could get interesting.

What I AM curious to see is how the aftermarket responds. Conversion kits? Motor swap like we used to do in slot cars and then send that shit clear off the track?

So you're saying you would like to move to Cuba? :P

Cuba also doesn't have the large population, the massive wealth, the massive technology, the immensely vast economic gloal footprint that the U.S. has. I'm sure if not for the trade embargo, Cubans would LOVE to have the creature comforts that we take advantage of in today's vehicles.

Motor Trend had a good "letter from the editor" in June's issue. The government has forced our hands before. The 70s oil embargo was a moment in history that had similar protest. The biggest difference is how much more anemic the vehicles were. I can only imagine how much worse the protest would be. Hell, I would be more resistive to how we went to cars that were built like tanks to how the "sheet metal" today is about as rigid as a cardboard box. Don't even get me started on how the paint process has changed. I remember my father's '67 Cadillac having a small chip from some actual damage, not some pebble on the road. I could literally see the different layers of paint, almost as if someone cut a small chunk off of a jawbreaker. Of course that Cadillac managed 9 MPG on a good day, going down hill. Point being, we will survive. We'll find creative ways to "tune" the new EVs. Hell, I almost expect it to be like expansion packs for video games, as that seems to be popular with the new generation. Hell, I remember getting shit from my uncle when I told him I was tuning my 06 GTO by plugging it in to a computer and adjusting the A/F ratio. He asked me if I knew how to work on a carburator and if I knew what "points" were. I can't wait to give my brother's kids shit about buying expansion packs for their Yugo EV (watch, some smartass will find a way to revive that turd if a name, and it'll be the latest turd hit, like Bieber).
Old 05-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #402
Mikey1925

Drives: 2022 1SS Rapid Blue, 6 speed manual
So when you're in a track race with it are they going to give the gassers a 1 to 2 lap penalty while you come in every 5 laps to do a battery swap? Lol
Old 05-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #403
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
So you're saying you would like to move to Cuba?

Cuba also doesn't have the large population, the massive wealth, the massive technology, the immensely vast economic gloal footprint that the U.S. has. I'm sure if not for the trade embargo, Cubans would LOVE to have the creature comforts that we take advantage of in today's vehicles.

Motor Trend had a good "letter from the editor" in June's issue. The government has forced our hands before. The 70s oil embargo was a moment in history that had similar protest. The biggest difference is how much more anemic the vehicles were. I can only imagine how much worse the protest would be. Hell, I would be more resistive to how we went to cars that were built like tanks to how the "sheet metal" today is about as rigid as a cardboard box. Don't even get me started on how the paint process has changed. I remember my father's '67 Cadillac having a small chip from some actual damage, not some pebble on the road. I could literally see the different layers of paint, almost as if someone cut a small chunk off of a jawbreaker. Of course that Cadillac managed 9 MPG on a good day, going down hill. Point being, we will survive. We'll find creative ways to "tune" the new EVs. Hell, I almost expect it to be like expansion packs for video games, as that seems to be popular with the new generation. Hell, I remember getting shit from my uncle when I told him I was tuning my 06 GTO by plugging it in to a computer and adjusting the A/F ratio. He asked me if I knew how to work on a carburator and if I knew what "points" were. I can't wait to give my brother's kids shit about buying expansion packs for their Yugo EV (watch, some smartass will find a way to revive that turd if a name, and it'll be the latest turd hit, like Bieber).
By expansion pack, I hope you mean free or at least not subscription/micro-transaction based.

GT7 is seeing a lot of heat exactly because of the micro-transactions.

Past:
Old 05-08-2022, 09:43 PM   #404
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the sheet metal is designed to crumple in an accident and save your life.the old 60s musclecars?bolt on a new fender,hose out the interior and sell it to the next guy.up til 67 or thereabouts seatbelts were an option.i can remember mom and dad buying a 66 ford country squire wagon and waiting an extra day for the seatbelts to be installed.compare your car to a new honda...the 5th gen camaro is built like a tank.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:40 AM   #405
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
By expansion pack, I hope you mean free or at least not subscription/micro-transaction based.
Carmakers are actuallly looking into "Cars as a service" subscription models for the future. They want to stop producing different equipment levels for technical stuff like heated seats, navigation, phone connection, etc. They want to build just one equipment level and you can only use the specific functions if you pay a subscription for the selected function to use.

Some idiots will fall into this, but this is an alarming idea. You wouldn't actually own your car, if the car get's older you still have to pay your monthly rates for things to work. And anybody with a bit of technical background can garantuee that once they turn off older connection types or servers, and that definitely will happen, you will lose these functions permanently.

As a fact Chevrolet turned off the OnStar service in Europe a few years ago for all the connected features like the weather app, so all Camaros here just have these dead features now.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #406
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Carmakers are actuallly looking into "Cars as a service" subscription models for the future. They want to stop producing different equipment levels for technical stuff like heated seats, navigation, phone connection, etc. They want to build just one equipment level and you can only use the specific functions if you pay a subscription for the selected function to use.

Some idiots will fall into this, but this is an alarming idea. You wouldn't actually own your car, if the car get's older you still have to pay your monthly rates for things to work. And anybody with a bit of technical background can garantuee that once they turn off older connection types or servers, and that definitely will happen, you will lose these functions permanently.

As a fact Chevrolet turned off the OnStar service in Europe a few years ago for all the connected features like the weather app, so all Camaros here just have these dead features now.
Yup. This sounds absolutely terrible. Just another example of how we are giving up our freedoms for corporate prosperity.

Closed Thread