Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 05-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #365
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Only way I’d be alright with it is if it was electric assist with a v8 still for a bit more llama-thrust. Otherwise, no thanks… Still think my 1LE will be a lifetime keeper
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
Old 05-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #366
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
truth be told i think the elite want all the common folk on bicycles.ironic since china with its huge population is moving the other way...
Old 05-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #367
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Well you have the 4-cylinder so it was already obvious that you don't care about torque.
if you cared about torque the electric vehicles have it,from zero RPM onwards.i just cant see them taking over completely for 25 more years.according to greta that will be too late...but we dont have the generating capacity to support the power demand,or the lithium,or the recycling facilities yet.maybe dialithium crystals?i can see captain kirk and scotty cruising woodward in the year 2100 now.more power scotty,we gotta pull away from the klingons in this e-charger...i canna give you more power,captain,shes gonna break up
Old 05-03-2022, 06:37 PM   #368
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
if you cared about torque the electric vehicles have it,from zero RPM onwards.i just cant see them taking over completely for 25 more years.according to greta that will be too late...but we dont have the generating capacity to support the power demand,or the lithium,or the recycling facilities yet.maybe dialithium crystals?i can see captain kirk and scotty cruising woodward in the year 2100 now.more power scotty,we gotta pull away from the klingons in this e-charger...i canna give you more power,captain,shes gonna break up

A lot of people like the torque but don't know it, "Horsepower sells cars, but Torque wins races". I still don't think everyone is going to magically get an EV in their driveway at the same time. It's going to be gradual. People will still need to rely on their good ole ICE vehicles. The move is going to be gradual, and the growing pains will hopefully be mitigated by the slow roll out. Hell, how many people are out on the road right now in 10+ year old vehicles? I still don't buy the extremist bullshit view that they're going to just start rounding people up that try to buy gas at a black-market gas station, just like I didn't buy the bullshit about a mob going house to house to collect everyone's guns, or the bullshit about birds being government surveillance devices. At some point we need to stop thinking that we're a part of a Tom Clancy novel. Now if you'll excuse me, my 2nd Moderna Covid shot needs to download its latest update...
Old 05-03-2022, 08:37 PM   #369
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
And you’re doom and gloom……

You’re assuming people wouldn’t set charging time for off peak hours for lower electricity rates. You are acting you need to set the charging time every time you plug in. You don’t. Once you tell the car to charge at 1 am, it will remember it all the time. So every night people come home, plug in, go to dinner, and car won’t charge until 1 am. It’s not that hard and the aspect of saving money will be more than enough motivation for people to take the 30 seconds one time to set charging time.
What your type typically calls "doom and gloom" is to the rest of us being realistic. The key to your utopian electrical sharing world is that "you tell the car when to charge". Where I live the electric company begs us to not to run dishwashers, clothes dryers, etc. during peak use times to prevent brownouts and you're counting on people programming their cars to charge at a certain time? Yikes!
Old 05-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #370
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
What your type typically calls "doom and gloom" is to the rest of us being realistic. The key to your utopian electrical sharing world is that "you tell the car when to charge". Where I live the electric company begs us to not to run dishwashers, clothes dryers, etc. during peak use times to prevent brownouts and you're counting on people programming their cars to charge at a certain time? Yikes!

I agree it is realistic my parents in Connecticut their town is the same way and they have random power flickers many times during the summer months with everyone having the AC on. That being said the town they live in tends to have random power outages throughout the year that the only answer they get is they are aware of the issue and are repairing it.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #371
Alan47717

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Instant torque is what gets you going, so I'm not sure why you consider it a novelty. If you didn't care about torque, then you wouldn't want to merge the highway or pull into traffic.

Your worry about the electric grid being like an old house where you can't plug in two electric heaters in the same room without blowing a fuse is nonsense. But you do at least have a point that the electric grid needs to be overhauled, not just for volume, but for security. We've had a lot of attempts (some successful) to get into our system by bad actors, and that should have you more worried than thinking that everyone is going to hop onto EVs and plug everything at the same time. You are assuming that everyone is going to dump their ICE at the same time, which is highly unlikely.
I really, really understand what torque is for. I also understand the role of transmissions and gearing and that other good stuff. What you don't understand is my lack of interest in driving an appliance instead of a car.

If you think the electrical grid issues we are facing equate to "plugging in two appliances into the same circuit", then I guess we aren't seeing the same picture. Again, I base my opinion on the PROJECTED rollouts/requirements for EV's. I actually don't believe those will come close to happening and places like CA & WA will be forced to rescind their ICE bans. If companies like GM really place all their eggs in the EV basket to quickly they may be in a world of hurt.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:57 PM   #372
DWR

I’ll just say this… If I’m not mistaken they predicted we would run out of oil, what, 30 years ago? 10 years ago they said we only had 10 years left, now they just say its bad for the environment? I think they just have no clue or its all a political agenda, most likely both. At the end of the day… look at what lithium mines do to the land vs oil fields… and how they are charged… it’s all BS in the end
Old 05-03-2022, 09:53 PM   #373
Alan47717

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I’ll just say this… If I’m not mistaken they predicted we would run out of oil, what, 30 years ago? 10 years ago they said we only had 10 years left, now they just say its bad for the environment? I think they just have no clue or its all a political agenda, most likely both. At the end of the day… look at what lithium mines do to the land vs oil fields… and how they are charged… it’s all BS in the end
It truly is a tragic irony that the technology that is going to save us from that dirty shit we pump out of the ground turns 8 tons of clean, fresh water into toxic sludge in order to produce one pound of lithium.

Fortunately for the "Environmentalists", most of this carnage happens in remote places where they can pretend it's not a big deal.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:06 PM   #374
Alan47717

As final thought, at least from me, on this subject is to look at all of these "We will be 100% EV by 20XX" projections and remember Volvo has been revising their 100% EV every couple of years. I think they started at 2023 around eight years ago and they are out to 2030 something now.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #375
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Is there even a speck of evidence that points that this is likely to happen? And if so, who implements it and who benefits from it?
Couldn’t tell ya, as I’ve said a couple times here it’s all theoretical and depend on who’s in control.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
Old 05-04-2022, 06:49 AM   #376
DWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
It truly is a tragic irony that the technology that is going to save us from that dirty shit we pump out of the ground turns 8 tons of clean, fresh water into toxic sludge in order to produce one pound of lithium.

Fortunately for the "Environmentalists", most of this carnage happens in remote places where they can pretend it's not a big deal.
Exactly my friend

Out of sight, out of mind I guess… kind of hard to see with your head up your bum either way
Old 05-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #377
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Meanwhile, the shift from oil to electrons continues full speed ahead.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...for-ev-upgrade
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #378
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
It's just super irritating to me. The only reason I'm considering an EV is for the tax break because I need a write off, otherwise its not something I'm remotely interested in.

Closed Thread