Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Setting up camera inside car for track day

For my last track day I decided to mount an action camera behind me to record what I'm doing. It recorded the inside great, but everything through the windshield was just white with glare.

I'm looking for advice on how to set it up so it'll record the track through the windshield as well as what I'm doing.
Attached Images

Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
For my last track day I decided to mount an action camera behind me to record what I'm doing. It recorded the inside great, but everything through the windshield was just white with glare.

I'm looking for advice on how to set it up so it'll record the track through the windshield as well as what I'm doing.
gopro with suction mount. honestly just get the cheapest one out which is the 8. no need for the 9 or 10. $299 plus like $50.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:49 PM   #3
Baddawg53

I can't suction mount my camera to my roll bar though. I have a Garmin Catalyst that records great mounted to the windshield.

I more need to know how to eliminate that glare and be able to see the inside of the car as well as the track through the windshield.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:11 AM   #4
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Does your camera allow you to adjust ev?

https://digital-photography-school.c...ion-explained/
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:24 AM   #5
Baddawg53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Does your camera allow you to adjust ev?

https://digital-photography-school.c...ion-explained/
Yes, from -2.0 to 2.0. I had to check it, this is not my area of expertise!!
Old 04-24-2022, 05:59 AM   #6
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Get a UV filter for your lens. I ended up getting these for my GoPro and it really helped with the glare

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Use the spot meter setting if it has one. Set the spot meter for the windshield area. You can see what it looks like in my videos
Old 04-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
What kind of camera? My go Pro did that the first time until I adjusted the settings. I don't know crap about cameras and the settings meanings but that's what's going on there.

If it's a go pro try the settings in the attached pic.
Attached Images

Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
Baddawg53

Unfortunately it's not a go pro. It's the Akaso Brave 7 LE. Bought it on the advice of a friend. It seems to work pretty well, the image stabilization is great. But maybe it doesn't have the settings I need it to for this. I tried to look for the spot metering feature just now, I can't seem to find it. And I also just looked for UV filters and can't find any of those.

Looking at the video it, the camera is definitely pointed down below the dashboard so maybe if I angle it up and it's center of the screen is on the windshield that'll work better. I'm sure I'll be losing some of the interior though.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Unfortunately it's not a go pro. It's the Akaso Brave 7 LE. Bought it on the advice of a friend. It seems to work pretty well, the image stabilization is great. But maybe it doesn't have the settings I need it to for this. I tried to look for the spot metering feature just now, I can't seem to find it. And I also just looked for UV filters and can't find any of those.

Looking at the video it, the camera is definitely pointed down below the dashboard so maybe if I angle it up and it's center of the screen is on the windshield that'll work better. I'm sure I'll be losing some of the interior though.
If it’s lacking the EV adjustability, then you’re correct, putting your windshield at center of the video will likely eliminate the whitewash. Your footwell will probably get darker than you’d like but that’s just how it is unless you decide to run two cameras and do a PIP setup.

Btw, although a hassle, sometimes you can’t start the recording with the center pointed at the windshield then once it starts recording, realign the frame to capture what you want. But again, that would be a hassle at the start of every session.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #11
Dabjbr

Ps, do Garmin Catalyst ever go on sale? Do you love yours?
Old 04-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #12
Baddawg53

Ok, I've just figured out it does have a metering mode, center or multi. It's not the spot metering, but maybe multi will do something. Hopefully between the EV setting and the multi metering setting I can figure it out.

Starting a recording then moving the camera does seem like a pain in the ass, and I'm sure I'd forget often but I'm definitely going to try that too.

As far as the catalyst, my only regret is not buying it sooner. I found it for like $900 I think, it was a grand after tax etc. I play it through my car speakers so no problem hearing it.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:36 AM   #13
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I don't have your camera but I set the exposure manually on my DJI Osmo action.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a rollbar mount i ordered off amazon along with some filters and it works great but last time out i still had a glare issue not sure if changed something on my camero or what happen im using a gopro hero 9