Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #155
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Your guess is as good as mine. I think all the pieces are there from what we've seen so far. The only thing I think the current 1LE would have over a stock 6th gen SS is tires. The Goodyear Eagles are not daily driving year round tires even way down here in South Carolina. Lap for lap do I think a 6th gen SS could be quicker than a fifth gen 1LE with a less aggressive tire? My money is on the sixth gen and I've seen as much as everybody else on here.
Only thing I'm thinking though is that a stock/base Gen6 SS will still have to cater to the bread and butter (I want a comfortable ride) crowd as well.

I dunno just thinking out loud here.

A performance package like the 1LE believe it or not, for many is too stiff, sad as that may sound. You can't have both without sacrifices is what I'm getting at.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #156
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
apparently I expect too much. 400 - 500lbs would be awesome. 200lbs is just one less passenger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Agreed. I was expecting 400 pounds. Thats a difference worth mentioning.
Quote:
The ATS 2.5, 2.0T and 3.6 all weigh 3300 - 3400 range so I don't see why 3400 - 3500 is not possible....
Yeah...400 or 500 lbs sounds nice...but it isn't happening. You may think 200 lbs isn't a big deal, but it is. I don't know how else to say it, but losing as much weight as you guys would like to see lost would put the Camaro at or under the weight of the Corvette. Again...not happening. Hope that puts it in perspective.

Look at how well the Camaro can perform at 3,900 lbs. This newer one will lose weight, and sounds as though it will have even less unsprung weight which will make it that much better. Be happy guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Your guess is as good as mine. I think all the pieces are there from what we've seen so far. The only thing I think the current 1LE would have over a stock 6th gen SS is tires. The Goodyear Eagles are not daily driving year round tires even way down here in South Carolina. Lap for lap do I think a 6th gen SS could be quicker than a fifth gen 1LE with a less aggressive tire? My money is on the sixth gen and I've seen as much as everybody else on here.
I don't doubt at all that we might see the 2016 SS (or maybe the SS with some type of performance package?) get close to the handling capabilities of the 1LE...but I wouldn't bet that it can outcorner it. That said, the increased handling, + the increase in acceleration could equal a 1LE beater.

But we all know the rave reviews the Alpha chassis has gotten on the ATS and the CTS.....it should be one heck of a good driver's car.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #157
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
<~~~~~~ is definitely looking forward to buying a 2016 Camaro SS or maybe a Turbo 4( if available) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #158
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Only thing I'm thinking though is that a stock/base Gen6 SS will still have to cater to the bread and butter (I want a comfortable ride) crowd as well.

I dunno just thinking out loud here.

A performance package like the 1LE believe it or not, for many is too stiff, sad as that may sound. You can't have both without sacrifices is what I'm getting at.
I don't find the 1LE harsh at all and its a huge improvement in ride quality over the 3rd and fourth gens I've daily driven since the year 2000. I don't think Al's comments about increased agility apply to just the high performance models. I would expect that across the board. You're right that they can't have a standard aggressive suspension setup with most of these just being daily drivers but I think they took a lot of feedback to heart. Many were saying that the 1LE is how the 2010 SS should have been from the start. It sounds like they are trying to improve handling without sacrificing too much comfort. 200 lbs lighter goes a long way and everybody on here should be jumping for joy with this announcement. It's exactly what we've asked for.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #159
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I don't doubt at all that we might see the 2016 SS (or maybe the SS with some type of performance package?) get close to the handling capabilities of the 1LE...but I wouldn't bet that it can outcorner it. That said, the increased handling, + the increase in acceleration could equal a 1LE beater.
If we get MRC as an option, don't think it would be hard to get 1LE cornering and good ride quality for those not looking for something too firm for DD.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #160
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
200lbs less + Mag-Ride = awesome performance .......

Let's see
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:43 AM   #161
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I'll wait til May 16 before I say anything..
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 AM   #162
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
not even close...the 1997 Camaro? 15 MILLION build combinations -- trust me on this as I did the math. We built 60 thousand Camaros that year. The costs to offer those 15 million build combinations was one of the reasons that the car went away for a while..........

How many 'stripped' Camaros do we build? Go look at the build numbers as they're on this site. The reality is that the number is very small. The car MUST be appealing to a wide audience in order to be successful. Not everyone wants a seat warmer - but some do - so you must offer it as part of a package. Same for power seats....there was huge outrage when we didn't offer a power passenger seat in the 2010 Camaro. We listened to the customer and it's now part of a package. It's never easy to make any of these decisions - but listening to the customer -- the voice of the collective customer -- makes a successful automobile. No, we won't make everyone happy - we're not about to put manual windows in a Camaro as the costs to do so are staggering. (engineering two types of door innards and wiring harnesses...)
Yeah, we've had that discussion before, and you're right, I guess I'm a dying breed...Someone that enjoys the drive more than the destination...

I'm just ticked off at all these new safety measures they're cramming down our throats, my "Collision Mitigation System" (that's what Meritor Wabco calls it) activated on an overpass today, engaged the brakes and almost shoved a truck up my butt. Some [edited for political rhetoric] put crap on my truck that I can't control, and even more so, that takes control away from me... I don't like it. A lot.

Tell the engineers to invent a device that will disable cell reception in a moving vehicle. THAT'S collision mitigation I can support!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 AM   #163
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Tell the engineers to invent a device that will disable cell reception in a moving vehicle. THAT'S collision mitigation I can support!
Let's hear a big HELL YES !!!!!
to a cell phone jammer.

I just want one that has about a two car range.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 AM   #164
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, for an equivalent 4 or 6 cylinder.

We know that adding the V8 and all it's necessary goodies add around 200 pounds to the Camaro today.

What everyone has been doing is exactly what you did, assume that because a 2.0T ATS weighs 3,400 pounds that you should be able to get a 3,400 pound SS Camaro. Nope. That would require a significant amount of premium materials and drive the price higher resulting in lower volumes, resulting in 2003 all over again. No thank you.

In today's market, 200 pounds is a big deal. Yes, I realize there is a small sample of people that want an engine, transmission, brakes and a steering wheel. That does not make a great car, though. In fact it would make a car that would be so s%&(ty that only a few would buy it. Think COPO volumes. A great car for the few that need that.......a crappy car for pretty much anyone that also likes to drive to work everyday, go on a weekend trip once in a while. There has to be the ability to provide the features that most people want in a car.

I hate to remind you guys, but most Camaro owners don't even know this site exists...or any Camaro site for that matter. To most, it's a really nice car they enjoy owning and driving and as long as it's economical, the insurance premiums are decent and it is reliable, they'll keep driving it. But that's all it means to most buyers or lessees. No mods, no track days. Those are the bread and butter customers GM has to attract with this new car. It simply has to be a great car first, then a great Camaro.

So the Camaro needs to be a simply awesome coupe. The V6 does in fact have to compete with not only the Mustang, but also Honda Accord Coupe. It just has to be better on so many levels that the minimalist crowd will be disappointed. My guess is they will be the only ones disappointed, because I am expecting some pretty great stuff coming our way.

As for the safety stuff, well get ready for the mandates. Once you see statistics that cars with active safety features save lives, they will become mandatory. It's coming.
I didn't say 3400-3500 for an SS model. The base model should be between 3430 and 3575. The mention of cadillac using premium materials that a camaro owner can't afford is silly. ATS models here excluding V-series sell for between 28k and 50K. Not exactly "upmarket".
Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #165
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
I didn't say 3400-3500 for an SS model. The base model should be between 3430 and 3575. The mention of cadillac using premium materials that a camaro owner can't afford is silly. ATS models here excluding V-series sell for between 28k and 50K. Not exactly "upmarket".
Sorry, sticker on an ATS is $33,200 with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. Put in the 2.0T and you are at $36,240. A V6 to compare to today's Camaro is $42,000. And I don't think anyone is suggesting (at least I hope not) that the Camaro gets the 2.5

It's not what a Camaro owner can afford. It's simply the material cost in the product. There are premium materials in the ATS. Now GM has already shown aluminum chassis bits that are replacing steel. That is a huge premium. Aluminum is much more expensive than steel. What I am afraid of is the use of premium materials in the chassis results in a cheaper interior. But even worse, it will be like the new Tahoe. Yes, the base version is only slightly more expensive than the outgoing model. But you can option one up to around $75,000. OUCH.

And probably confusing several peoples comments on 4 to 500 pound weight loss. That is a 3400 pound SS and there are a few people here thinking that was possible and going on to claim a big fail on GM's part if not. So sorry if that wasn't your intent.

But keep in mind, these are teaser comments to wet our appetite, not things to argue over. And it seems like we are arguing over nothing more than a few comments and pics.

Last edited by Number 3; 03-31-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #166
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RSSS View Post
Are we ready to start guessing at the cost of the 6th gen? The thing sounds like it is going to be amazing. With an updated interior (we're hoping for), and the lighter weight (more expensive materials???), do we think GM will be able to keep the Camaro at the same price point it has been at?
NO, It's going to be considerably more. I have heard strong rumors of that. If you look at Silverado and Tahoe and Stingray(compared to previous models)....you'll see where the trend is headed.

It's all in the interior and "options" that everyone cries for....then doesn't wanna pay for.

Now to corral the discussion back in....The weight savings + the LT1 is gonna be wicked. I've seen a few all-motor VVT camshaft/header combinations where the TQ is INSTANT and carries all the way through on some Stingrays. No flat plane crank or carbon fiber wheeled rice-mobile will outrun that. Especially not if the $$ is equal.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #167
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham

Happy to see more examples of how they're not messing around with this one!

Buh-bye, Mustang.....and a lot of other cars.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #168
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
NO, It's going to be considerably more. I have heard strong rumors of that. If you look at Silverado and Tahoe and Stingray(compared to previous models)....you'll see where the trend is headed.

It's all in the interior and "options" that everyone cries for....then doesn't wanna pay for.
It will still need to be priced competitively with the Mustang. Unless GM is going for Challenger volume, I don't see them increasing to match Challenger pricing.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro pounds, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 camaro weighs, 2016 camaro weight, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2016 chevy camaro pounds, 2016 chevy camaro weight, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen camaro weight, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation