Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
New LGX V6 "confirmed" for 2016 Camaro

User FenwickHocky65 originally posted this in his "Great thread of Knowledge"...but not much else was said. So now that I've given him his props, I thought I'd post this in the 6th gen section for more discussion.

Someone on the GMInsideNews site sounds pretty confident that the new "LGX" V6 engine will be going into the 6th gen. The title of the thread says "Confirmed" but there is no proof of the confirmed news linked that I saw. There is a healthy discussion there...check it out: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...camaro-167114/

To sum it up: It is believed there will be 4 cylinder (I'd say most likely turbo 4), 6 cylinder, and 8 cylinder options, but opposite of Ford's model, the 6 cylinder will be the midlevel, optional engine choice. Al O may have said no 4 cylinder for Camaro, but thats just his thoughts....not a confirmation.
There are no specs on this engine yet, but again some believe it will once again be a 3.6 like the outgoing LFX engine. It will also be used in the 2016 ATS, and other GM models.

So assuming all of the above is true, then my thoughts are this. If the turbo 4 cylinder is the base engine, then that probably means it won't be intended as the direct performance competitor to the Mustang's midlevel turbo 4 engine. Instead, it would be the most economical version, but still provide a "fun" amount of power. I'd guess at least the same as the current 272HP/295TQ found in the current "LTG" turbo 4 cylinder.

So to be a viable midlevel option over the turbo 4, the LGX V6 is going to need a bit of a bump in HP, or TQ, or hopefully both. I think better economy than LFX is a given, but I'd like to see at least 330+ HP, and 290 + TQ. (The 3.8 in the Genesis makes 345HP, so a high HP number isn't my concern as much as TQ to be honest) I have been posting a lot, that I hope to see a V6 with a big displacement at least 3.6 but more like 3.7 -3.8 (for more torque), cylinder deactivation (hwy fuel economy), and of course direct injection, cam phasing, etc. The engine would need to be very refined for use in Cadillac models.

If I were to have my choice, a 345 HP, 290 - 300TQ V6 in a 3,450 lb package sounds like a fun ride for mid to upper 20s (I'm sure it would eclipse 30 with nearly all options checked). This is about what the ATS V6 weighs. As the midlevel option, it would be wise of GM to offer a performance package, just like they are for the midlevel Mustang.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Just food for thought.

Buick offers a no-cost upgrade to the LFX from the 2.4L eAssist in LaCrosse, and a no-cost downgrade from the LTG in Regal to the 2.4L eAssist.

Assuming LTG and LGX are indeed both slated for Camaro, perhaps there could be a similar strategy.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
4 cyl turbo doesn't worry me at all considering the current levels of low end torque and refinement. If it lets a lightweight V-8 model survive the new CAFE footprint BS in the coming years, then fine. Even without CAFE, there needs to be some way to manage around the possibility of $5-$6/gal gas, which despite more supply, could easily happen. Last time that happened everyone flipped out and bought a hybrid the next day.

I am guessing the new LGX will be more easily adapted to turbos and incorporate lessons learned from the LFX.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Right now, the Camaro is pretty much the only 'affordable' V6 passenger car in GM's entire stable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Impala moving upscale and the Malibu ditching the V6, GM doesn't offer a single V6 passenger car under $30K (other than the Camaro). I'd hate to see that end, especially with Ford sticking with an affordable V6 Mustang... and Chrysler putting its nice Pentastar V6 in whole range of affordable cars.

I personally don't have a problem with a turbo 4 as the base engine, but I sincerely hope that a V6 (this new LGX V6 specifically) is a low-cost upgrade.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
if true, makes my decision, if I were to get a 6th gen, easy. v8.

could be that the LS models get the turbo 4 and the lt models get the v6. prices would be about the same as now, minus inflation.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
if true, makes my decision, if I were to get a 6th gen, easy. v8.

could be that the LS models get the turbo 4 and the lt models get the v6. prices would be about the same as now, minus inflation.
Just curiousity asking, why would that make your decision easy? Was you hoping on a TTV6?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Honestly I wish they had a performance package for the V6 that had the LF3...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Just curiousity asking, why would that make your decision easy? Was you hoping on a TTV6?
I know that was a long shot, but no. if the Camaro made a mid tier turbo 4, I might have opted for that, and mod the crap out of it.

getting a low tier turbo 4, I could modify it, and it would probably only be good enough to compete with the v6's, or just be fast enough to beat them, but lose badly to the v8's. honestly, the v8 is what I want, but i'm open minded.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

I could honestly see chevy make the turbo 4 almost identical to the v6. maybe slightly lower in hp/tq, but not by much. hell, maybe even higher in torque. Kind of like how they have the sonics 1.4 and 1.8.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Why even warm up to the idea of a 4 cylinder in a Camaro? Because of the Mustang? Just because Ford sold out doesn't mean Chevy has to make the same mistake.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
Why even warm up to the idea of a 4 cylinder in a Camaro? Because of the Mustang? Just because Ford sold out doesn't mean Chevy has to make the same mistake.
CAFE standards rising.
Want to keep Camaro alive.
Need Turbo 4 to offset V8 / boosted V8 fuel consumption.

Or...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
wow
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Wasn't this pretty much a given?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Always up for more hp and more options
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation