Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
MarkSS1958

Drives: "19" 2SS 4xBlack "16" Ram 4x4
Garden hose foam cannons

Ok I'm starting to build my arsenal for detailing .
Can I get some opinions on which cannon would be good? A quick look on Amazon and looks like 20 to90$ will get about any hose cannon on the market . I would rather stay mid range price wise unless theres a big advantage to the pricy ones . Thanks for taking the time to look and give me your experiences

Last edited by MarkSS1958; 08-08-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
MarkSS1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just remember without an air compressor any hose cannon/sprayer will not give you the thick rich lustrous foam you see in all the YouTube how to’s… Without it, They are really just soap sprayers.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
MarkSS1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Just remember without an air compressor any hose cannon/sprayer will not give you the thick rich lustrous foam you see in all the YouTube how to’s… Without it, They are really just soap sprayers.
OK thanks I do have an air compressor . I didn't realize they were
compatible . I have more studying to do!
Old 08-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
How do you hook an air hose to a garden hose foam cannon? I have the Adam's Garden Hose Foam Cannon and it works ok, but not getting the super heavy foam layer like you see... I have an air compressor... Is there a mod I can do?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Foam cannons don’t get hooked to the garden hose. They are different animals.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Foam cannons don’t get hooked to the garden hose. They are different animals.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Ok, I guess mine is technically a "Foam Gun", not a cannon...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
I have an Adams foam gun to hook to the hose for when I'm too lazy to set up the pressure washer and foam cannon.

The Adams works great, but it can't ever do as great of a job as a true foam cannon in terms of the thickness of the foam. It's a good pre-rinse tool if you either don't have a pressure washer or air compressor, or just don't want to set it up.

Any true "foam cannon" is going to involve more than a $20-90 investment because you don't just need the cannon; you need a compressor or pressure washer, depending on your model. There are foam cannons that work with air compressors, and those that work with pressure washers.

The Wolfgang Tornador is an example of one that works with an air compressor. I have a Trinova foam cannon that works with a pressure washer.

The Adams foam gun I mentioned just needs a garden hose. Adams also sells a foam cannon.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
MarkSS1958

Thank you EJR
That's a lot of good info . There are so many options it can get confusing really quick .
The Wolfgang Tornador looks great for around 100$ what was so confusing about some brands they claimed they required some crazy amount of PSI I can run a nail gun on my compressor at 120psi . I think I'll be ok it calls for 60/90 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
I have an Adams foam gun to hook to the hose for when I'm too lazy to set up the pressure washer and foam cannon.

The Adams works great, but it can't ever do as great of a job as a true foam cannon in terms of the thickness of the foam. It's a good pre-rinse tool if you either don't have a pressure washer or air compressor, or just don't want to set it up.

Any true "foam cannon" is going to involve more than a $20-90 investment because you don't just need the cannon; you need a compressor or pressure washer, depending on your model. There are foam cannons that work with air compressors, and those that work with pressure washers.

The Wolfgang Tornador is an example of one that works with an air compressor. I have a Trinova foam cannon that works with a pressure washer.

The Adams foam gun I mentioned just needs a garden hose. Adams also sells a foam cannon.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #9
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS1958 View Post
Thank you EJR
That's a lot of good info . There are so many options it can get confusing really quick .
The Wolfgang Tornador looks great for around 100$ what was so confusing about some brands they claimed they required some crazy amount of PSI I can run a nail gun on my compressor at 120psi . I think I'll be ok it calls for 60/90 psi.
I believe you need to look at more than the compressor's psi output. The 12 volt portable compressors that plug into a cigarette lighter socket are capable of 120 psi but take a relatively long time to fill a tire because they don't move a large volume of air. I doubt you could use one of those to successfully pressurize a foam cannon.
Look at the required air volume at pressure for the foam cannon you want to use. Usually it it listed as "CFM @ PSI" meaning it requires a certain minimum air volume (cubic feet per minute) at a certain pressure (pounds per square inch) An example would be "1 CFM @ 60 PSI". The compressor you want to use with that foam cannon should be rated the same or higher than the rating of the foam cannon.
A nail gun does not require a large volume of air to operate, so that may not be a good indication that the compressor will work with a foam cannon. I'm not saying your compressor won't work, just letting you know what to check.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #10
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS1958 View Post
Thank you EJR

FYI - I started with a 'foam gun' and was perfectly happy with the results for a long time.

Your biggest jump in washing technique is moving to a some kind of soap pre-rinse, a two-bucket wash and a separate bucket for wheels.

Later when/if you are ready to step your game up again, look at the foam cannon/pressure washer solutions.

Most important...have fun and enjoy the end result.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
MarkSS1958

Points well taken 17rsvert and thanks for the encouragement Matthew !
Old 09-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post

I also use the Adams foam gun about $40. Works well and I like their mega foam soap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote