Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #71
PHLCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT
Frustrated post incoming.

I am just about done with this car. I have had the new transmission flush twice since it came out, and now my dealership is back to claiming they cannot replicate the problem. I am tired of arguing about this and not getting it resolved. Neither flush helped much, in fact the first flush seemed to make it worse. The second flush helped, but it's still there.

The warranty is useless if dealers refuse to identify the issue and try to fix it and act like you're crazy when you explain it.

Good luck to everyone. I love this car but at some point you have to give up. I am close. This is my first Chevy and also looking like my last.
PHLCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #72
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLCamaro View Post

I am just about done with this car. I have had the new transmission flush twice since it came out, and now my dealership is back to claiming they cannot replicate the problem. I am tired of arguing about this and not getting it resolved. Neither flush helped much, in fact the first flush seemed to make it worse. The second flush helped, but it's still there.

The warranty is useless if dealers refuse to identify the issue and try to fix it and act like you're crazy when you explain it.

Good luck to everyone. I love this car but at some point you have to give up. I am close. This is my first Chevy and also looking like my last.
Take a video of it doing it.

Had to do that on a work truck that Ford refused to do anything about.

Once I sent them multiple videos they magically found a TSB about it.

Well, it didn’t help & the shudder came back less than a month later. Have new vids for when I take it back in.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #73
PHLCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Take a video of it doing it.

Had to do that on a work truck that Ford refused to do anything about.

Once I sent them multiple videos they magically found a TSB about it.

Well, it didn’t help & the shudder came back less than a month later. Have new vids for when I take it back in.

That's a good idea. My car does not get the tacometer fluctuations like other people have noticed. All I get is a vibration/shake that's felt in the gas pedal and the seat. What would you take a video of?
Old 08-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #74
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
That's a good idea. My car does not get the tacometer fluctuations like other people have noticed. All I get is a vibration/shake that's felt in the gas pedal and the seat. What would you take a video of?
Mine shuddered noticeably in the steering wheel. Even if you can hear it in the engine if it’s discernible audibly that should be good enough.

The tech was able to get mine to quickly do it, but they couldn’t on the truck unless I had my Skidder trailer hooked up (long story), but once they saw the video they were able to replicate it without the trailer, but it was very intermittent.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #75
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Don't. Give. Up. The current TSB for this is 18-NA-355 (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63890-9999.pdf) that applies to all Camaros built between SOP (start of production) and Feb 1st, 2019. It specifically states "Diagnosis beyond the customer compliant is not required if vehicle was built prior to production dates indicated above", and it describes the required equipment and fluid in intimate detail.

All you need to do is drive the car to a Chevy dealer's service department (that you trust) and tell them to just perform this TSB.

This solved the problem for everyone here who had it applied before the torque converter was too severely damaged. Since this has been their "blessed" service procedure since Jan 2019, if it doesn't help your car, you should push the dealership to replace the torque converter and add this new blue bottle Mobil1 fluid, then you'll be good to go.

Yes, GM sucks big time for sweeping this under the rug instead of a proper recall, but the A8 is actually a great transmission, especially in tuned form like mine, once this torque converter issue is taken care of.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:40 AM   #76
First Camaro 50th

Drives: Chevy Camaro Convertible 2SS
I had the issue and had the fluid flush - that has fixed it for now, but it's been only a month since it was done. Fingers crossed....
Old 08-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #77
PHLCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Mine shuddered noticeably in the steering wheel. Even if you can hear it in the engine if it’s discernible audibly that should be good enough.

The tech was able to get mine to quickly do it, but they couldn’t on the truck unless I had my Skidder trailer hooked up (long story), but once they saw the video they were able to replicate it without the trailer, but it was very intermittent.

Thanks for the advice.

Appreciate everyone's input. My car has been flushed twice now on the latest TSB. But now that that has not worked, obviously the torque converter's been damaged and is the problem. I think my case is not severe is the issue, but it is there. The dealer is either unwilling or unable to replicate the issue. But passengers who know nothing about cars have asked me what that feeling is.

I guess my next move if I cannot get it resolved is to go to another dealership. Unfortunately I don't really have a dealership that I know to be better so it's a crapshoot.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #78
CaliRedSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
Didn’t Ford just get a class action for newer mustang transmissions ? Think they have to pony up and pay 5 million for 180k customers. Geez these guys all make money hand over fist and yet they don’t back their products unless it’s by the letter of the law .... and wiggle out any way possible.
CaliRedSS is offline   Reply With Quote