Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #29
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
OP has started several threads with, no offense, whining in mind. "Why can't Chevy build a car I want?" "I'm going to call them"...Again, no offense, but completely ridiculous thoughts. Chevy builds a car that will 1) Sell and 2) Perform. If a couple people don't like the transmission options do you think they care?

Car companies tend to care a LOT about what people say and think. I've had very good luck dealing directly with SRT. If you are reasonable and talk to them, you may get somewhere. They want enthusiastic customers and I ended up a HUGE MOPAR fan because of SRT helped me get the car I wanted. I even had a fellow at the plant shooting me build pics and so on. When you're looking at speciality cars that don't sell 50 thousand units a year, it's not crazy to ask for options.

The ZL1 1LE doesn't sound AT ALL like something you are after, that is a very very low 7 second Nurburgring car that is an even more track focused car than the regular ZL1. It's not about comfort, back seats, crying, or whining. It's a man, machine, and track.

Tracks are wonderful. But I live in Burbank. I'm just 20 minutes from Angeles Crest, which is honestly better to drive than a lot of tracks. Jay Leno is often over there as are a huge amount of folks pushing their cars. 40 minutes away is the Snake, a road that you've probably heard of. Tracks are not all there is. No one is crying.

Looks like you should either stick with your challenger as we've already told you in your other threads. Or get an A10 ZL1, put the 1LE aero on there just for the looks because you'll never need it if you're not tracking, and drive it. Expect to take the challenger or another vehicle when you have kids coming with you. Don't bother going after the DSSV suspension or the wheels/tires, it will only negatively effect your purposes.
I own a Charger Hellcat. I may just "make" what I want in the end, but I dislike anything that smacks of up badging and slapping 1Le parts on a ZL1 bothers me. I may do it anyway, because I think the aero should be on the car anyway.

I appreciate the feedback, folks...but let's not profile each other over suspension choices!

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #30
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Tires/wheels first, then aero... You'd be amazed how much just a proper wheel/tire and the right (for the track) alignment will help you go faster through corners w/ grip. Unless you're regularly running a road course where you're hitting triple digits, your benefit from aero will not be as much.. Your wheels and tires, with less rotating mass (if you can swing it from the combo, is noticeable everywhere as it's the outer most moving mass) AND you'll have the more traction advantage everywhere which means you can spend less time braking and more time on the accelerator and quicker on the gas out of a turn.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Your the one that thinks i said the A10 has heat soak problems, all i said was Auto cars have that problem in the past, like the ZO6.

Next is the fist time they ran 2 ZL1 at the track which was faster right out of the box.............. well it was the M6 car, then to show how much faster the Auto is GM sent in some engineers to work on who know what and the car did put down a bit faster time then the M6, but did the work on the M6 to improve its time, No....... it was PR to show off the Auto.

Next time do the same tweak's on both cars and lets see what car is faster

All MFGs tune and tweak their car on that track and some outright cheat with options that never even show up. Don't even play that card.

If the car was going to overheat and be an issue... it would have shown up there... Also, why is it that C7 Vettes don't have a single GM published 'ring time??? None of them.. Not even the manual trans. Show me, like with C7 Autos, where Gen6 ZL1 automatics are having wide reported cooling issues and going in to limp mode? For f*ck's sake... GM took the improved cooling aspects from Camaro and applied it Corvette to make them stop/slow down with the limp mode.. That's why new Z06s get cooling ducts, taller lid, bigger bricks and a revised underhood insert.

You just don't like automatics for some reason, but that doesn't mean they have issues just because you're biased w/o real data.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #32
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Your the one that thinks i said the A10 has heat soak problems, all i said was Auto cars have that problem in the past, like the ZO6.

Next is the fist time they ran 2 ZL1 at the track which was faster right out of the box.............. well it was the M6 car, then to show how much faster the Auto is GM sent in some engineers to work on who know what and the car did put down a bit faster time then the M6, but did the work on the M6 to improve its time, No....... it was PR to show off the Auto.

Next time do the same tweak's on both cars and lets see what car is faster,

Then why did they make the 1LE in the 4th gen with an auto to.
Randy's official lap in the a10 car sucked. He admitted it. Watch his line thorough turn 8/9 and it's obvious why the m6 car passed the a10 car mere feet before the finish line of the final straight.

The transmissions are a wash as far as lap time. Neither is better than driver variance between laps....even a pro like Randy.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #33
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
All MFGs tune and tweak their car on that track and some outright cheat with options that never even show up. Don't even play that card.

If the car was going to overheat and be an issue... it would have shown up there... Also, why is it that C7 Vettes don't have a single GM published 'ring time??? None of them.. Not even the manual trans. Show me, like with C7 Autos, where Gen6 ZL1 automatics are having wide reported cooling issues and going in to limp mode? For f*ck's sake... GM took the improved cooling aspects from Camaro and applied it Corvette to make them stop/slow down with the limp mode.. That's why new Z06s get cooling ducts, taller lid, bigger bricks and a revised underhood insert.

You just don't like automatics for some reason, but that doesn't mean they have issues just because you're biased w/o real data.
Did they do the same to the M6 car, no they did not, so i dont care what you have to say, if they dont do the same to both cars it does not prove that the auto is faster to any one, Do what you want but it does not make the car a ZL1LE, PS and before i got my ZL1LE i had a A10 ZL1 on order, but opted to go for the track car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #34
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
I own a Charger Hellcat. I may just "make" what I want in the end, but I dislike anything that smacks of up badging and slapping 1Le parts on a ZL1 bothers me. I may do it anyway, because I think the aero should be on the car anyway.

I appreciate the feedback, folks...but let's not profile each other over suspension choices!

R.

That's all the 1LE is anyway, parts smacked in to a ZL1. Remember this is only a trim package of the ZL1, not a different car. Just want to make sure you're very aware of this. There are no other differences than those parts mentioned.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #35
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Randy's official lap in the a10 car sucked. He admitted it. Watch his line thorough turn 8/9 and it's obvious why the m6 car passed the a10 car mere feet before the finish line of the final straight.

The transmissions are a wash as far as lap time. Neither is better than driver variance between laps....even a pro like Randy.
Then why tune it? all he had to do is rerun the lap with out any tuning of the trans, all i am saying there is a reason why no new ZL1LE in an A10, you guys want it, i get that, so make your own out of the ZL1 that the best way, or buy the ZL1LE and take it to one of the big guys and have an A10 put it in, its not that hard.

I know i am Not 100% like my car, and will be adding CCB to the car next year as soon as this year is done.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #36
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Here you go some prof of said problems of ZO6 with autos.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/corvet...-be-1796070293

You guys think this has more to do with it then anything else, Like i said i have run in a lot of groups and every ZO6 Auto was taken off the track with a flat bed, in any temp over 80 degrees, M7 corvettes did not have this problems, now i have been out on the track with 6th gen ZL1 and they show no sign to the heat soak.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #37
Mr. Meh

Quote:

You guys think this has more to do with it then anything else, Like i said i have run in a lot of groups and every ZO6 Auto was taken off the track with a flat bed, in any temp over 80 degrees, M7 corvettes did not have this problems, now i have been out on the track with 6th gen ZL1 and they show no sign to the heat soak.
Never did I say anything about C7Z NOT having cooling issue. I even made mention of it and why it is not comparable to the Camaro ZL1 automatics. It's very widely known that the C7 autos have issues and there's even a suit against Chevy over it... That was never in question. I also asked for proof and facts about Gen6 ZL1 specifically with cooling issues causing limp mode. You're trying to compare a small frontal area car, with a different LT4 engine, a different cooling system, a different transmission mounted in an entirely different part of the car. Other than both being FI and Chevy cars, they're not close enough in this context to be directly comparing... The ZL1 has 11 separate heat exchanging systems to dissipate heat and a frontal area that looks like a yawning wide mouth bass. If you removed the grill hex, the car could be capable of ingesting small dogs/cats and other critters.

The overheating issue is when left in Auto mode as the trans programming keeps the engine as high in revs as it can, so it never falters, never drops, etc. like a human would.. It just beats the engine to death and the cooling system isn't capable of removing all the thermal buildup.. That's more of an issue with the radiator and intercoolers than the trans, it's just that trans gets the blame.. Why? Because it's better at shifting than a human being, so it's pushing the engine to the computer limits unlike a human.. That's why the manuals don't have that issue.. That 7 speed is geared differently and the triple overdrive in it is complained about regularly as to why it's not 5 race gears, a 1:1 and 1 OD. The "work around" is to run the transmission in manual mode because inevitably, a human isn't going to keep it in revs the same way the computer will.. Thus, less heat to dissipate, thus longer intervals before build up. Same applies to the manuals. Different gearing forcing drivers to make different choices about which gears to chose while in session. That has an effect on the amount of thermal output the engine is making at any given time and over the long haul, will simply take longer to build up..

You could say the same about some people getting brake fade and some not.. People could easily blame the brakes and not take in to account that those with fade are braking incorrectly and building up undue heat when they could simply shift the kinetic energy transfer to the traction surface by braking later and shorter and letting the tires carry additional load, but that takes more skill and trust in your setup to not drag the brakes from marker 5, instead of a quick hard blast at marker 2 and then go hotter in to your turn... But, again, brakes would be blamed as many would brake at 5 corner after corner and overheat them.

What was in question was your blanket statement about the automatic car in general heat soaking which is not correct. The ZL1 transmission is even bolted right to the engine and doesn't get the benefit of being rear mounted away from the massive heat source that is the engine and the two constantly sharing heat with each other thus compounding the issue.. That it still isn't overheating is impressive as C7Z's trans is in the rear, so all that heat would need to conduct up the TQ tube to the engine.. So, the engine is screwing itself up with revs based on shift-algos and it can't shift that thermal load out fast enough...

Last edited by Mr. Meh; 08-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #38
Mr. Meh

Quote:
Did they do the same to the M6 car, no they did not, so i dont care what you have to say, if they dont do the same to both cars it does not prove that the auto is faster to any one, Do what you want but it does not make the car a ZL1LE, PS and before i got my ZL1LE i had a A10 ZL1 on order, but opted to go for the track car.
I never said it would. There is no such thing as a ZL1 1LE A10. I'm a firm believer in not relabeling your car to something it's not.

If I add everything from a 1LE to my ZL1, it's just a modded ZL1. It will never, ever be a ZL1 1LE because the mfg did not make it as such.

My issue with you is making blanket statements about automatic cars like they're all the same.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #39
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Have it your way, ask GM all you like to put an A10 on a ZL1LE, good luck, but they have not done it, wander why? not me.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #40
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:

Gold level sponsor? Reel it in man...

No one denies the Z06 didnt have issues including the poster, but that sure as hell isnt evidence that a completely DIFFERENT transmission will replicate those Issues.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #41
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
BTW, unless you have some serious driving ability (most of us are enthusiasts who are are not on the level of a Randy Probst), the A10 will be a faster car.

That is to say that MOST of us will be able to hustle the auto around a road course faster than the M6.

Yes, if you are a top level driver, the disparity between the two lessens or even vanishes, but very few owners will ever see that happen. I used to think I could do anything with the manual Evo X...and then I spent time in the SST auto version and I was significantly faster, more confident...and dare I say...safer at the limits.

I absolutely respect that the M6 is a more connected experience for some and I love manuals. But the A10 is faster in the real world on real roads with real drivers.

There's every reason to offer the A10 on the 1LE. It's just about crazy not to....even two dealers I spoke with agreed on that. Limiting choices just sucks!

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #42
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Have it your way, ask GM all you like to put an A10 on a ZL1LE, good luck, but they have not done it, wander why? not me.
We know exactly why... because of bias and close minded ideologies. When someone says "it's for the enthusiast" that doesn't quite jive with the heat soak theory. The project manager himself has hinted to exclusivity.. period
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote