Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #15
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
The A10 doesn't have the heat soak issue of the Z06.... it's a manual because all current 1LE's are, it is the 1LE heritage, and will always be manual under the current Camaro Regime....... the problems of the Z06 have been corrected for the ZL1, different supercharger lid and larger cooling bricks.....

Get a Zl1 A10 and have the aero put on it.....
Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
The ZL1 is the first car to turn my head since buying my Hellcat Charger.

But!

I'm always surprised at how car companies rarely see the bigger picture for better sales.

When I went to look at a new Lambo Hurican and found that I'm too tall for it, the manager said it was the number #1 reason for losing sales. He also said that the complaints about that had been going on for years, but the company wasn't bright enough to design a cockpit like Porsche does. No Lambo for me!

So lest you think I'm some sort of class warrior, I've got complaints for these goofy car companies with their strange packages and inability to offer a car a certain way.

Enter the ZL1-1LE and ZL1

1) No A10 tranny.
After talking with two dealers, I now know that my opinion of this goofery is shared by many. There are a TON of reasons why the 1LE should allow an A10 option and really NO reason to leave it off. 14 lbs is NOT enough of a weight savings. Virtually everyone I speak to wishes they could have the A10, at least as an option.

2) ZL1 has no options for aero package.
Huh? Why not? The aero package would be useful on a regular ZL1 via downforce. Those interested in having a slightly faster car could skip it. Others might prefer the looks of the aero package. Adding the aero to a ZL1 looks to be a PIA and expensive.

3) Back seats.
A few tweaks could have made better back seats. I spoke with a fellow at Chevy who said the failure to create more room with a better seat design had to do with COSTS. Oh boy. I would have happily paid more.

4) Steering wheel.
It's awful. Was something wrong with leather? The wheel feels like a frozen plush toy and it will absorb oil from hands fast.

So...waiting out the holidays and hoping these guys tweak things and offer a bit more versatility in the packages.

R.
1 - ZL1 1LE without the A10 trans - That is one of the reasons I didn't care for it. The lack of a sunroof option was a deal breaker for me. Back to the trans...the A10 was a must have for me. I settled for the M6 in my Hellcat. But there is no way I would choose it over the A10 in the ZL1. No way no how. I'm not really upset tho that the 1LE version does not include the manual trans. I mean, the standard ZL1 handles like nothing I've ever had before. Sure the 1LE version is better. But I can honestly say, better would be way too much for me.

2 - Aero Package - I'm not even sure what it is, lol!! It doesn't really interest me. So for something that doesn't interest me but could potentially tack extra money onto the car, I'll pass.

Side note, the aftermarket will bring soo much to the table that will increase the handling...probably even beyond a stock ZL1 1LE. So I wouldn't fret too much over it.

3 - Back seats - Do you REALLY want people in your back seats? I get anxiety thinking about scuff marks from shoes, stuff being dropped and not picked up and years later finding a sticky lollipop that was dropped under the rear seat and is still there...no thanks. Every time I've transported someone in the rear seat of my cars, without fail there was a shoe scuff mark. So while I'm glad the seats are there, I don't ever care if someone's butt occupies that seat, lol!!

4 - Steering wheel - After the plush wore off it does feel kinda...dead...in my hands. But I still like it. There are people who are anal about it and know all about products you can use to restore the plushiness. But that isn't really a fault on the ZL1's part. That is just gonna happen no matter what car has it. GT350 too.

I hate to see your disappointment. But I think you need to just go ahead and get one and you'll see that all the gripes are by far outweighed by all the positives. I'm telling you man, it is exhilarating taking a corner at a high rate of speed and hearing this car beg you to just push it just a little bit faster and telling you she can take it!! It is a phenomenal car. Is it a tight squeeze? Yup. Is it a bit difficult getting in and out of? Yea, it is. But man, this car is amazing. Maybe in 14 years I won't think so...I'm 40. Maybe a car like this at that point will be too much for me. I don't know yet. But if you can get past that, then you'll enjoy every second in it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
1 - ZL1 1LE without the A10 trans - That is one of the reasons I didn't care for it. The lack of a sunroof option was a deal breaker for me. Back to the trans...the A10 was a must have for me. I settled for the M6 in my Hellcat. But there is no way I would choose it over the A10 in the ZL1. No way no how. I'm not really upset tho that the 1LE version does not include the manual trans. I mean, the standard ZL1 handles like nothing I've ever had before. Sure the 1LE version is better. But I can honestly say, better would be way too much for me.

2 - Aero Package - I'm not even sure what it is, lol!! It doesn't really interest me. So for something that doesn't interest me but could potentially tack extra money onto the car, I'll pass.

Side note, the aftermarket will bring soo much to the table that will increase the handling...probably even beyond a stock ZL1 1LE. So I wouldn't fret too much over it.

3 - Back seats - Do you REALLY want people in your back seats? I get anxiety thinking about scuff marks from shoes, stuff being dropped and not picked up and years later finding a sticky lollipop that was dropped under the rear seat and is still there...no thanks. Every time I've transported someone in the rear seat of my cars, without fail there was a shoe scuff mark. So while I'm glad the seats are there, I don't ever care if someone's butt occupies that seat, lol!!

4 - Steering wheel - After the plush wore off it does feel kinda...dead...in my hands. But I still like it. There are people who are anal about it and know all about products you can use to restore the plushiness. But that isn't really a fault on the ZL1's part. That is just gonna happen no matter what car has it. GT350 too.
All the points you raise illustrate that the ZL1 1LE is not for you and never was.

The ZL1 1LE is a track monster first and foremost. You do not want a sunroof on something you will track as you will lose what little headroom you have when you wear a helmet.

2nd point - you don't want the aero, I can understand that. I was the same way until I saw 2 in person at the Fest. The rear wing is fine, the front canards I wish were modular/removable.

3. if you have no backseats, for insurance reasons your car gets classified as a sports car and you pay MORE.

4.Meh..

You have a 6th gen ZL1 A10, its a great car, be happy with that. Peace Out.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
1. A10: great auto but heat soaks bad after 3-4 goes around the track and needs cool down laps. Doesn’t belong in an extreme track package ZL1 1LE.

2. Agreed. Aero should be offered as package to non ZL1 1LE owners.

3. Shouldn’t have back seats at all.

4. Had a leather wheel in my 16 2SS. Suede in ZL1 feels amazing and high end. Wear driving gloves if you’re worried but doesn’t seem to absorb oils.
1) You think the stick can run all day without issues? And the A10 does not have the issues the previous Z06 had. The reason it is not on the 1LE is the publicly admitted closed-minded approach Al has towards autos in this application, and as an investor in GM that is the same stubbornness that got us in trouble before. It would fly off the lots with an auto... the exclusivity argument is absurd. This isn't a 911R

If it's a track time warrior, you want the A10. There is a reason Hennessy said he wanted stick on the back roads and auto in the 350R and 1LE for track. The bias in here is incredible. We aren't saying kill the manuel. As an investor and consumer we want the option.

3) That is a corvette. Elimination of the back seat would undercut our consumer base that actually uses these performance cars with the option to throw their kids in the back. We are already starting to lag behind Ford... don't need another reason

4) I also think the wheel is great...but he is right it will have issues within 5-7k miles.... lol at sacrificing and wearing gloves but don't have an auto or backseat.

Nevertheless, given the current state of the lineup, the OP and I are in the same boat. But the ZL1, add aero, or wait and see what the refresh holds (most likely late next year)
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.

Last edited by brantley847; 08-14-2017 at 10:12 AM.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #19
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Lol at the 1LE being some track monster compared the ZL1. It's slight lap speed advantage is 80% tires, 10% DSSV, 10% aero. On a more standard 2 minute/lap track average HPDE regulars would be nearly identical from car to car....and put them on matching rubber and I'd bet big money the margin would be all but eliminated with any driver.

Better put the 1LE IS A TRACK MONSTER.....but people seem to underrate the base ZL1 in discussions comparing them.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #20
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
I would have waited for a 1LE if it had auto. I will rarely drive on a track so trans overheating is not a concern.

Maybe the 2 LE?
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #21
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Lol at the 1LE being some track monster compared the ZL1. It's slight lap speed advantage is 80% tires, 10% DSSV, 10% aero. On a more standard 2 minute/lap track average HPDE regulars would be nearly identical from car to car....and put them on matching rubber and I'd bet big money the margin would be all but eliminated with any driver.

Better put the 1LE IS A TRACK MONSTER.....but people seem to underrate the base ZL1 in discussions comparing them.
We will absolutely have none of that rational thought in here...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
1. A10: great auto but heat soaks bad after 3-4 goes around the track and needs cool down laps. Doesn’t belong in an extreme track package ZL1 1LE.
Post your sources? They ran this thing like a raped ape on the 'Ring and didn't overheat once.

@ OP

Based off your concerns, I don't think you were the target demographic for this car. You just want it for the way it looks and I can tell you don't plan to use it for what it was intended.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post

Excellent point. This is an option package for someone who wants the car to be a little edgier. Its not a different car, just more tire, harder suspension, and a little more areo.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #24
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
OP has started several threads with, no offense, whining in mind. "Why can't Chevy build a car I want?" "I'm going to call them"...Again, no offense, but completely ridiculous thoughts. Chevy builds a car that will 1) Sell and 2) Perform. If a couple people don't like the transmission options do you think they care?

The ZL1 1LE doesn't sound AT ALL like something you are after, that is a very very low 7 second Nurburgring car that is an even more track focused car than the regular ZL1. It's not about comfort, back seats, crying, or whining. It's a man, machine, and track.

Looks like you should either stick with your challenger as we've already told you in your other threads. Or get an A10 ZL1, put the 1LE aero on there just for the looks because you'll never need it if you're not tracking, and drive it. Expect to take the challenger or another vehicle when you have kids coming with you. Don't bother going after the DSSV suspension or the wheels/tires, it will only negatively effect your purposes.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #25
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Okay...AGAIN...thanks for all the info.

I spoke with a friend about all of this (he's a fellow who built a sweet low 9 second Evo X) and here's what he said...

1LE advantages are much more about the tires and aero than the suspension. In fact, he feels that the ZL1 suspension would be superior on a normal road because it's simply able to sort itself out over irregular pavement better.

So the perfect medium for drivers who are NOT doing a ton of track days...

ZL1 with A10
Aero package
1LE tires

With the A10, Aero and 1LE tires it would seem to me that you get an awesome advanced tranny, the downforce advantages and the superior performance from the better rubber.

I really think that Chevy should be offering such a car without a after-purchase song and dance where I have to buy a ZL1 with A10, order and install the aero, sell the stock wheels, add spacers and get the 1LE wheel package. Sheesh...you know that will be a PIA and more expensive by FAR.

Chevy needs to improve the options available on these cars. My dealer was able to get on the phone with Dodge/SRT and get me whatever I wanted. Maybe a good Chevy dealer can do the same.

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #26
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
In this thread: hard parkers

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #27
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Good luck getting 1LE tires. And good luck ever needing them.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #28
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
**citation needed. Actual facts, dates, times, names, configurations on the Camaro ZL1 platform. I've seen some incidents of trans wonkyness, but they're isolated and not anywhere near pervasive like the C7 Z06 A8s.

The simple fact the you compared heat soak on C7 Corvette with an A8 and small frontal area to an A10 Camaro with huge frontal area, more heat exchanging systems, etc. shows you're full of conjecture and speculation on the topic.
Your the one that thinks i said the A10 has heat soak problems, all i said was Auto cars have that problem in the past, like the ZO6.

Next is the fist time they ran 2 ZL1 at the track which was faster right out of the box.............. well it was the M6 car, then to show how much faster the Auto is GM sent in some engineers to work on who know what and the car did put down a bit faster time then the M6, but did the work on the M6 to improve its time, No....... it was PR to show off the Auto.

Next time do the same tweak's on both cars and lets see what car is faster,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlueX2 View Post
The A10 doesn't have the heat soak issue of the Z06.... it's a manual because all current 1LE's are, it is the 1LE heritage, and will always be manual under the current Camaro Regime....... the problems of the Z06 have been corrected for the ZL1, different supercharger lid and larger cooling bricks.....

Get a Zl1 A10 and have the aero put on it.....
Then why did they make the 1LE in the 4th gen with an auto to.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote