Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
MyKuLLSKI

Drives: 2012 Yellow Camaro 2LT RS
Haha. I know. I'm sure it'll be great at the end
MyKuLLSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKuLLSKI View Post
I have mixed feeling about it. I wish I didn't like how the stock one looked like so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Well like he said he's not done with it!
The finished shifter would look very much like the one pictured, the only difference is that the top of the base will be tappered a little, similar to the piece in the pic.

I have had so many e-mails asking me if I could put the switches in the stock shifter and the answer has always been no but with the new switches I am working on it may be possible but the reason I have never persued it is these shifters make shifting very easy and precise because of switch location, the ball shifter will place the switches in a less desireable location, on a stock shifter they would be in a psotion that would make there usage marginal in my opinion. These shifters were designed for their function and they do it very well, designing one totaly for cosmetic purposes over ergonomics is not what I would do.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I have been working on an auto ball shifter and have the mechanical portion pretty far along, the biggest problem with other designs is the switches/electronics, I have not been able to come up with anything suitable other than the OEM switches, I am currently designing my own and am very close to a prototype. If all works right I will have the ball shifter with tapshift and have been playing with a t-handle as well. The attached photo is the ball shifter, it's still not finished as the electrics need to be completed first. Won't be to long as it is my #1 project as of now.
This T handle you mention, speak of it more as I am most interested.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
This T handle you mention, speak of it more as I am most interested.

The base of the t-handle would be the same as with the ball shifter above, the t-handle would be typical of the t-handles we/I grew up with lol, but untill the switches are completed it will be difficult to determine placement/functionality.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
The base of the t-handle would be the same as with the ball shifter above, the t-handle would be typical of the t-handles we/I grew up with lol, but untill the switches are completed it will be difficult to determine placement/functionality.
I know your on the ball shift now, but you have any prototype for the T handle? I'm not so much interested in the shift buttons, but I like the idea of the old style T handle design.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
I know your on the ball shift now, but you have any prototype for the T handle? I'm not so much interested in the shift buttons, but I like the idea of the old style T handle design.
When designing the ball shifters base I took in consideration that I may want to add various knobs, one being the t-handle so I know it won't be a problem. I have a couple of drawings but they are not of the completed part, they are for programing purposes,
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
If you want to add your own switches somewhere, we have a harness that lets you do that. We also have a switch that is not as cool as CFD's, but, can be used almost anywhere...

sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #22
MyKuLLSKI

This is kinda what I envisioned. You see the circular indent where like your thumb would go. Well have a circular button right there but like have 2 tap buttons in one circular button. So basically the top semicircle would be shift up and the bottom semicircle would be shift down.

I don't think this type of button exists and I have no idea how much room is inside the stock shifter but it be awesome.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #23
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKuLLSKI View Post
This is kinda what I envisioned. You see the circular indent where like your thumb would go. Well have a circular button right there but like have 2 tap buttons in one circular button. So basically the top semicircle would be shift up and the bottom semicircle would be shift down.

I don't think this type of button exists and I have no idea how much room is inside the stock shifter but it be awesome.

There is limited room there and more of a problem is room in the handle for wiring. Making switches real small also will make it more difficult to distinguish between up shift/downshift increasing chances of mis-shifts.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
MyKuLLSKI

I think the buttons on the pistle style are 1000x too large. I think the size of the circular indent is perfect and will ultimate look the coolest
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Those CFD shifters are good to go. I really like mine.

Tags
automatic, paddle, shift