Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
candj

Drives: 2015 mustang GT, 2016 camaro 2SS
2016 camaro 2ss won't start.

None of the electronics, couldn't unlock the door, had to manually do it.

Vancouver, BC. Lowest temps reached around 0 degrees celcius the last few weeks so nothing crazy. Hasn't been driven in around 2 weeks but didn't think that'd be a problem for a new car.

Chevy wants us to arrange a tow to bring it there. are we expected/supposed to pay for that or is chevy?

I charged it for 15 minutes with a car battery charger (on charging setting, then switched to "start" setting), when I turned it to start setting, car started honking and wipers started swiping slowly, really slowly, then stopped. When I clicked unlock on key fob it stopped honking, but wipers still going

Then tried to start car and everything flashed instantly and then dead.

Then tried charging it again (charging setting) for half an hour, tried starting, didn't start.

Don't have a voltage reader or anything. Advice?

edit: https://i.imgur.com/E7CMkAz.jpg - is that the right placement for the cables?

Last edited by candj; 03-31-2018 at 05:46 PM.
candj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
It sounds like you have a dead battery. If you read on the forum there is a lot of discussion about battery life, some are reporting that at 2 weeks the batteries are dead in there cars. I personally don't have any problems with my battery going dead but it is somewhat common. I don't know for sure but I believe you should have free roadside assistance for 3 yrs/36,000 so it should be covered but you better find out first. They will probably replace the battery for free but it's going to be up to the dealer. I would search for batteries going dead so your more informed.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Wipers going real slow might mean you only charged the battery to about 6 volts in that first 15 minutes. A half hour may not be enough time to charge a completly discharged battery, Under 11 volts is technically a dead battery, but might start a car. You might want to leave the charger on for 4 or 5 hours before trying again. You don't mention what type of charger you are using.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Unplug the negative cable from the battery for a couple of minutes, try and charge again. I had the same thing happen once before.
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
One characteristic of the AGM battery that's in the Camaro, is that if it's absolutely 100% flat i.e. reading south of 6V, a charger may not be able to bring it back up from a dead condition, chargers really like to top up and charge above 10 V. So therefore the answer is to replace the battery, or get another fully charged battery and connect pos to pos, neg to nega and let it Equalize, after it is at 10V or so, a charger will bring it back the rest of the way.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Vyncynt

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS (on order)
Just had same problem, but temps were much warmer (low's in 50's, high's in 70's). OnStar roadside assistance successfully jumped the car yesterday. Today, they had to come back out and could not jump, so had to have it towed to the dealer. Dealer replaced the battery just 7 months ago...

"Ahhh! Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!"
- Lyrics from a song from Scooter: "Apache Rock the Bottom!"

Previously owned
1998 BMW 540 w/M-series package
1991 Trans Am GTA
1985 Saab 900 Turbo (Burned leaded fuel on the Autobahn)
1985 Firebird (R.I.P.)
1976 Camaro LT
Vyncynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Candj,

If it is typical for you to leave the car sitting for 2 weeks at a time, you might want to invest in a battery tender to manage the car while it is sitting. Especially in cold weather. It is still not cool to wake up to your car doing it's best imitation of a pet rock, so definitely follow up with a dealership to address replacement of the battery. A battery tender is cheap insurance against that happening again.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
candj

Drives: 2015 mustang GT, 2016 camaro 2SS
Hi all - just an update. BCAA came to jump start it and was able to get it started. Check engine light stayed on, for a few days, but after driving it for a while it went away. I assume it was just indicating battery was low? Been all good since then though.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candj View Post
Hi all - just an update. BCAA came to jump start it and was able to get it started. Check engine light stayed on, for a few days, but after driving it for a while it went away. I assume it was just indicating battery was low? Been all good since then though.
Take it to the dealer anyway. It had been months since mine had failed to start after a 3-day sit. Then we had an abnormally warm couple of days in December. Several days at 60 - 70F. I drove the Camaro. Then put it in the garage and didn’t put the tender on it because I thought I would drive it again the next day. Temps dropped into the 20s. After 3 days I thought “Crap! I should put the tender on it.” Too late. Dead as a rock. I had Roadside Assist come out and jump it then put the battery tender on it.

Several weeks later (two weeks ago) I took it to the dealer and explained what had happened. They tested the battery and found that it was still not fully charged. They removed it, depleted it and put it in a charger for several hours and reinstalled it. So far, so good. I am intentionally NOT putting it on a tender for a while and have the dealer on notice that if it bricks again, they will have to replace it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Two weeks in sub zero temps is a problem.

Get a battery tender, a new battery, and don't allow your new battery to be destroyed by low temps again.

Why would your dealer replace an abused battery for free?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #11
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Two weeks in sub zero temps is a problem.

Get a battery tender, a new battery, and don't allow your new battery to be destroyed by low temps again.

Why would your dealer replace an abused battery for free?
The simple answer is any other car on the road doesn't have this issue.

Cold temps don't destroy batteries...it just reduces performance. CCA is output capacity at 0*C
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Had the same issue yesterday. Dealer will replace battery and has been recommending replacement on all GM vehicles at around 2.5 years (exactly where my car is now). They will test them to make sure before replacement.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #13
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrj2000
The simple answer is any other car on the road doesn't have this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
Had the same issue yesterday. Dealer will replace battery and has been recommending replacement on all GM vehicles at around 2.5 years (exactly where my car is now). They will test them to make sure before replacement.
Exactly. None of the other cars in our household “fleet” have issues sitting for weeks at a time, let alone 3 days as was the case on 3 occasions with the Camaro. I’ve had the car just over a year and all three incidents occurred before completing it’s first year in service. When I went to my dealer and asked for a replacement, they tested it, discharged it, and recharged it and tested it again rather than replace it. I accepted that with the assurance that if it happens again, they are replacing it, no questions asked.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
cuz16ss

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by candj View Post
None of the electronics, couldn't unlock the door, had to manually do it.

Vancouver, BC. Lowest temps reached around 0 degrees celcius the last few weeks so nothing crazy. Hasn't been driven in around 2 weeks but didn't think that'd be a problem for a new car.

Chevy wants us to arrange a tow to bring it there. are we expected/supposed to pay for that or is chevy?

I charged it for 15 minutes with a car battery charger (on charging setting, then switched to "start" setting), when I turned it to start setting, car started honking and wipers started swiping slowly, really slowly, then stopped. When I clicked unlock on key fob it stopped honking, but wipers still going

Then tried to start car and everything flashed instantly and then dead.

Then tried charging it again (charging setting) for half an hour, tried starting, didn't start.

Don't have a voltage reader or anything. Advice?

edit: https://i.imgur.com/E7CMkAz.jpg - is that the right placement for the cables?
Did this every happen to you again? Do you still own your SS?
cuz16ss is offline   Reply With Quote