AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #281
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Not only the journalists but the GM guys as well. I sat at lunch with Aaron Link and grilled him over this very subject. It was a huge relief to hear his comments about long runs in the AZ desert and in Vegas and all the track testing he was involved with. It should be a non-issue. And as a die-hard manual guy he was also totally sold on the A10.
Would like to second that, with regards to a conversation I had with Matt Scrase (sp?) about the same thing.

Of course we'll have to wait for proof to sooth the doubters...but they are extremely confident...and well aware of the Z06 troubles. I can't help but doubt they'd be so confident with that cloud looming, if they weren't sure.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #282
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub2000 View Post
I have a 997.1 GT3 and dont plan on tracking it anymore since i purchased my SS 1LE. The 1le will probably turn just as fast of a lap time and it is much more enjoyable to drive because of all of the torque. Just my .02
Wow, interesting to hear from a guy who knows both cars well. That is one hell of an endorsement for the Camaro. Good for GM, great job! This stuff is just so cool.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #283
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
The 'stick-only' may have been a recent characteristic of the 1LE package, but it was not so in the early days of 1LE. I knew a couple guys many years ago who had early 1LE Camaros, a 1989 and a 1990 model. Both cars had auto trans, because they ordered the 350 engine and at that time, you got an auto with the 350, mandatory. If you wanted a stick shift, you got the 305 engine.
Yep. Mine is a 305/5 speed.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #284
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You have a point there...

but I guarantee we will see times at some point. We know the car was there.

Not only the journalists but the GM guys as well. I sat at lunch with Aaron Link and grilled him over this very subject. It was a huge relief to hear his comments about long runs in the AZ desert and in Vegas and all the track testing he was involved with. It should be a non-issue. And as a die-hard manual guy he was also totally sold on the A10.

I've got my eye on a 3 gauge a-pillar pod and will be watching IAT2 on my car and will be able to report numbers or I'll plug up my laptop and check them there. I think one of the reasons we don't see a Z/28 is due to no heat soak and the additional LT4 hp. Would have been hard to beat.
I too spent some time talking to Aaron about the LT4 overheating and he also told me about the desert testing the LT4 was put through. But... when I asked him if it was tested in high heat AND high humidity he said that is wasn't. Being from South Florida and it gets to be 94 degrees and 90% humidity fairly often during the summer here, that is totally different from 100+ degrees in the desert with 5% humidity. I know a few Z06 owners were not happy about their cars going into limp mode because of overheating and one was lucky enough to have GM buy it back from him.

Case in point, I took my 2015 Corvette Z51 A8 for a night time HPDE event. I got there at 6:00 PM. By my third time out around 8:00PM my transmission light came on and I had to come off the course. It was about 85 degrees and plus 80% humidity. Yet I have driven the car in the same temps and humidity for hours on the road without the transmission temp going over 160. What I'm feebly trying to say is tracking a car brings out it's best and worst features. I'm truly looking forward to you and the others getting your ZL1's on the track and seeing not only how well the LT4's hold up but the A10's as well.

By the way, tranny fluid was $38.00 a quart for the A8, I'm going to guess it will be about the same for the A10's. It was over $300 to replace the overheated tranny fluid.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #285
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I would bet that this percentage is very close to reality. I am sure that there is a greater % of trackers among forum members here but understand that this is an internet enthusiast site where the guys who do road race this stuff are going to be. The overwhelming majority of these cars spend the first 2 or 3 years of their lives in show room, polished condition and do not get raced. How many "off road" capable new 60 or 70 thousand dollar new pick ups are ever off a paved road, same idea guys.
Well hear are a few of us with our trucks in the desert - more than you think put the Raptor to work offroad. And more buyers who bought Z/28 or will buy ZL1-1LE will go to the track - not all the time but this will be a primary motivation for buying the car.

If not you should be happier with better riding ZL1 which is a great car in its own right!
Attached Images

Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #286
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Although I'm still quite some time from replacing my ZL1 with another, listening to the S/C whine in the Motor Authority video truly brings a big smile to my face. I have listened to it a dozen times at least, it would have to be a truly spectacular car to get me to buy something other than another ZL1.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #287
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Would like to second that, with regards to a conversation I had with Matt Scrase (sp?) about the same thing.

Of course we'll have to wait for proof to sooth the doubters...but they are extremely confident...and well aware of the Z06 troubles. I can't help but doubt they'd be so confident with that cloud looming, if they weren't sure.
I get that it isn't exactly the same as a ZL1, but I drove my SS with an LT4 on some pretty hot days last summer (laptop attached). The IAT2 stayed really close to the IAT, so in general I agree that the ZL1 should be covered in the cooling department.

I will say however, running the car hard and then shutting it off for 15 or 20 minutes caused the coolant to heat soak. This is because a large percentage of the coolant sits right at the top of the engine (no reservoir) and the coolant pump doesn't run. I'm not sure if the ZL1 supercharger coolant pump runs anytime the engine fan is running, but if it doesn't this will be a problem.

After re-firing the engine the IAT2 would be 140-150, which causes the ECM to pull 4.0 - 6.5 degrees of timing for the 10 minutes or so it takes to cool back down.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #288
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Yeah we know about the GT3s. Track car from the word go and a fantastic looking vehicle on the street. A GT3 is NOT comparable to a Mustang or Camaro in the minds of those in their target audience and we all know it. I work with and know a bunch of P car guys and none of them would ever consider a Pony Car even if it were faster around the tracks than the Porsche GT cars. It would be like a hard core Harley V-twin man switching to a Suzuki cruiser, ani't never gonna happen.
It respectfully beg to differ it does happen - I have Z/28 and GT4 right now. I have owned pretty much every GT3 and GT3RS (except current one) and multiple GT3 Cup cars (factory race cars). No time to race so I sold my last Cup car and bought GT4 and then the Z/28 when the opportunity to buy new for value price.

It is not just me I have buddy's with GT3's or Cup cars or RSR's that have Z06 or Z/28 and/or GT350R etc. The love the sound, what they can do and the fun they provide.

For me my current cars both serve as street cars for track days when I have time and can be driven for fun on weekends when I don't. When I have more time for races, I will be back in a Cup car or maybe one of the Mustang race cars (Ford offers 3 levels of bad ass mustang race car that are not street legal).

P-car guys are "car guys" and car guys do crossover to any "good car" regardless of brand that fits their criteria and we give credit where it is due Z/28 for the price is a bargain & the ZL1-1LE will be a bargain as well, but they are street cars for the track, not race cars. That is the beauty, street cars you can drive as often as you like and can still take to the track and have a lot of fun.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #289
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
You know, I'm kind of on the fence about the new looks. I love the front fascia. I'm not sure how I feel about the splitter and the canards but I feel like that could be one of those things that looks better in person. I don't mind the wing, although it is a little goofy.

But the best part? They totally fixed the ****ed up stance of the 2017. And those wheels are wide enough that they solved the wheel tuck too! 12 inch wide tires in the front and damn near 13 inches in the back. I'm sorry but this car is gonna be epic. If it comes with standard ZL1 fascia panels that you can swap out with the canards for the street, I bet that would solve 90% of the beef you guys have with it. The front looks better if not for those canards, and MAYBE the splitter (because the one on the 2017 does look cleaner). But that stance, and those specs. Holy shit this thing is bound to be a bargain if they don't strap another 10 grand onto the price.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #290
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Skip the static footage and go straight to the running footage at 1:27. This ZL1/1LE is awesome.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #291
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I get that it isn't exactly the same as a ZL1, but I drove my SS with an LT4 on some pretty hot days last summer (laptop attached). The IAT2 stayed really close to the IAT, so in general I agree that the ZL1 should be covered in the cooling department.

I will say however, running the car hard and then shutting it off for 15 or 20 minutes caused the coolant to heat soak. This is because a large percentage of the coolant sits right at the top of the engine (no reservoir) and the coolant pump doesn't run. I'm not sure if the ZL1 supercharger coolant pump runs anytime the engine fan is running, but if it doesn't this will be a problem.

After re-firing the engine the IAT2 would be 140-150, which causes the ECM to pull 4.0 - 6.5 degrees of timing for the 10 minutes or so it takes to cool back down.
Yes. That was a problem I experienced with the 2012 ZL1, too. Metal to metal contacts between the heads and supercharger casing conducts a lot of heat. However...even with my SS, I see temps at 110 or so for a few minutes after letting the car sit after a track session...unless there's air blowing through it...intakes are going to heat soak a bit.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:11 AM   #292
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
I've now read all 21 pages here. Interesting the way this discussion has evolved.

From what I've personally observed from Chevy's Performance division over the past few years, they seem to really put a major emphasis on not adding random fluff and doodads to their cars for looks and giggles only. Whatever they add to the exterior usually falls within aerodynamics, downforce, or cooling. I really like how deliberate they are in that sense. For example, I remember seeing a video years ago about how the Camaro team learned from the 5th Gen ZL1 that they can get more air from a larger bottom opening, rather than a larger top grill opening. That knowledge influenced the mid-cycle refresh of the 5th Gen. And now the 6th Gens all have...a larger bottom grill opening. I love that. Their reasoning for it is purposeful and educated.

The canards and high wing are no surprise, we've been seeing this car testing for a while now. The biggest surprise is the name. But we had a pretty good idea what we were getting for a while. And I am confident that the canards and high wing were added for damn good reasoning, not just appearance in some attempt to draw in a certain kind of customer.

Now, I do agree that athstetics are important. And I do agree that it's not my favorite looking Camaro. But I still think it's cool and I wouldn't be embarrassed being seen in it (not that I can afford this one). I particularly love how the rims sorta resemble the air vents on my SS. I guess I personally don't feel the looks of the ZL1 1LE will help or hurt the sale numbers of Camaro as a whole since this will be for a very small market group anyway. And Chevy obviously knows that. It's just cool that they once again are giving such an incredible variety to choose from. I really look forward to learning some more stats and exact numbers from this crazy thing.

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #293
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Yes. That was a problem I experienced with the 2012 ZL1, too. Metal to metal contacts between the heads and supercharger casing conducts a lot of heat. However...even with my SS, I see temps at 110 or so for a few minutes after letting the car sit after a track session...unless there's air blowing through it...intakes are going to heat soak a bit.
Lingenfelter has a timer kit option for their heat exchanger that allows you to run the circulating pump and fans on a timer between runs. I put that HX and the reservoir on my 13 ZL1 and was shocked how little coolant is in the factory system. IIRC, the Lingenfelter system quadrupled the volume

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #294
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Lingenfelter has a timer kit option for their heat exchanger that allows you to run the circulating pump and fans on a timer between runs. I put that HX and the reservoir on my 13 ZL1 and was shocked how little coolant is in the factory system. IIRC, the Lingenfelter system quadrupled the volume
Once the entirety of the volume is saturated, you could have 2 qt, or 10..doesn't matter, it'll all be hot. So long as the fluid is flowing, the heat gets evacuated...the timer is a cool idea, though.