Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #239
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
And you can't be serious about this comment. Have you seen the standard zl1 on the track? Conversations about its inability to turn are nonexistent.
Spot on. Zl1s, Z06s, etc. are capable of doing things that 99% of their buyers are not. Chances are that your ZL1 is a lot better than you are.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #240
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanky View Post
I thought Al had said they were working on a Z/28 in one of this videos talking about the ZL1.. I'll look for it when I get time later I could be completely wrong. Funny how most of us didn't see this coming or even predict something like it.
He never said it was a Z/28.....he just alluded to the test car mule and that it was back on track after some minor repairs from the 'Ring incident and that the test driver did a great job minimizing the damage, if that's what you're referring to from the Rodgers Chevy event last year. He later said in an interview about what would make a proper interpretation of a Z/28 from its past heritage mean today and what made it so great.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #241
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Chevy states:

“The track-focused 1LE package offers progressive levels of performance across the Camaro lineup, from the V6 1LE to the SS 1LE,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “But with the new ZL1 1LE, the progression takes a quantum leap — this is the ultimate track-day Camaro.”

In preliminary testing, the new ZL1 1LE was 3 seconds faster than the standard ZL1 Coupe around General Motors’ 2.9-mile, 18-turn Milford Road Course test track.

The lap times from Milford indicate that the ZL1/1LE appears to have faster lap times than the Z28; Chevy's statement indicates a lap-time no higher than 1:53.58

I believe we have confirmation that a new track-day Camaro King has been born!
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #242
808NHBK

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Who are the people who keep saying this is the response to the Demon? One is a drag pack and one is a road course warrior.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #243
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Chevy states:

“The track-focused 1LE package offers progressive levels of performance across the Camaro lineup, from the V6 1LE to the SS 1LE,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “But with the new ZL1 1LE, the progression takes a quantum leap — this is the ultimate track-day Camaro.”

In preliminary testing, the new ZL1 1LE was 3 seconds faster than the standard ZL1 Coupe around General Motors’ 2.9-mile, 18-turn Milford Road Course test track.

The lap times from Milford indicate that the ZL1/1LE appears to have faster lap times than the Z28; Chevy's statement indicates a lap-time no higher than 1:53.58

I believe we have confirmation that a new track-day Camaro King has been born!
I think those are 5th gen Camaros.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #244
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I think those are 5th gen Camaros.
They are.

The 2017 ZL1 will do a 1:53.xxx lap around Milford...quoted somewhere I can't remember at the moment. The new ZL1 1LE is three seconds faster than THAT.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #245
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
ACR looks absolutely ridiculous but goes like hell on the "track" if you care about that stuff. How many guys who buy Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. are regulars at the road course venues?
If someone has no intention of taking their car on a road course, why would they even think of getting the option package that exists solely to make the car better on a road course? The 1LE package isn't for those buyers.

Its like complaining that the 2SS comes with a HUD and heated leather seats and spectrum lighting and dual zone climate control, while ignoring the fact that the 1SS exists without any of that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
Actually, i think plenty of us 'get it'. And the benefits of all these aero bits are well understood. What you may not realize is that for some, our zl1s may not be our daily drivers, but they're also not our track day only vehicle. For me, that means i don't want to look like a clown 95% of the time that I'm actually in the car.

GM may have been confused with what the objective of this vehicle is. Maybe because the last z28 was too narrow in scope with its creature comforts, they decided to include some of those in this model. My things is that this is gonna be a really low volume option on an already low volume vehicle. If you're gonna make a track car, make a no-apologies track car....ditch the backseat altogether, get rid of the power seats, or put a basic stereo in there. Ford got it right. The 350r is a track car and for all of its lack of amenities, I'd still drive that thing around town without embarrassment. GM was just trying to please to many people on this one. Clearly, some guys like the look of the car, so hey.
Wait, you're fine with the GT350R, that has a bunch of aerodynamic doodads on it .... but can't stand the look of the ZL1LE because it has a bunch of aerodynamic doodads on it? That doesn't make any sense.

Neither does complaining that it going to have too limited of an appeal (low volume on low volume) while saying that its trying to please too many people. Either it has broad appeal, or narrow. Not both.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #246
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Spot on. Zl1s, Z06s, etc. are capable of doing things that 99% of their buyers are not. Chances are that your ZL1 is a lot better than you are.
Chances are, a lowly Spark is more capable than the average driver.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #247
speedyman
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If someone has no intention of taking their car on a road course, why would they even think of getting the option package that exists solely to make the car better on a road course? The 1LE package isn't for those buyers.

Its like complaining that the 2SS comes with a HUD and heated leather seats and spectrum lighting and dual zone climate control, while ignoring the fact that the 1SS exists without any of that stuff.

Wait, you're fine with the GT350R, that has a bunch of aerodynamic doodads on it .... but can't stand the look of the ZL1LE because it has a bunch of aerodynamic doodads on it? That doesn't make any sense.

Neither does complaining that it going to have too limited of an appeal (low volume on low volume) while saying that its trying to please too many people. Either it has broad appeal, or narrow. Not both.
Track or no track, ain't no way I'm buying a car that stupid looking! Front shot looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #248
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Track or no track, ain't no way I'm buying a car that stupid looking! Front shot looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Then don't buy it! Nobody's forcing you to.

Just remember that to the folks who can appreciate the benefit those parts provide...it's beautiful.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #249
speedyman
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Then don't buy it! Nobody's forcing you to.

Just remember that to the folks who can appreciate the benefit those parts provide...it's beautiful.
I'd never buy a car that ugly and it doesn't appear that many others will either. They failed in the market place and were discontinued.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #250
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
It also weighs 14 lbs less than the Z/28. If they have solved the LT4 cooling issues, this ZL1-1LE will be a terror. So much more power and tire on a much better platform

14 Z/28 3,837 lbs
17 ZL1 M6 3,883 lbs
18 ZL1-1LE 3,823 lbs
That is impressive. Didn't think about that.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #251
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
That is impressive. Didn't think about that.
And it looks like it was within 2 seconds of the Zo6, if those are current numbers.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #252
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I'd never buy a car that ugly and it doesn't appear that many others will either. They failed in the market place and were discontinued.
Ok, you think it's ugly. Thank you for re-sharing.

Nobody bought Vipers period ...Their discontinuation had nothing to do with the track model.

Since 2009 they haven't sold over 1000 per year...of all trim levels combined. And their target was 1500...