Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 04-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #71
Daboom48

Drives: 32 Ford 55 Nomad 69 Ve 14 M5 17 ZL1
What do you guys think about Motul 300V 5W-40 Power Race Oil... I am going to track this car... I'm going to drive it to work... I may drive it to the grocery store..

Are we all over thinking this but would this oil be an awesome choice for this engine?
Daboom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #72
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboom48 View Post
What do you guys think about Motul 300V 5W-40 Power Race Oil... I am going to track this car... I'm going to drive it to work... I may drive it to the grocery store..

Are we all over thinking this but would this oil be an awesome choice for this engine?
The bulk of the miles I’ll put on my ZL1 will be around town or short trips. For that, I’ll use a Dexos 1 oil (just as recommended; this may be one that is currently Dexos 1 approved or has been approved in the recent past).The Dexos 1 oil I use may be Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, or similar.I plan to use a “full” synthetic rather than a blended synthetic (a study all in itself).

When I race, I plan to do just what our Performance Manual suggests.I’ll switch to a Dexos 2 oil, of the same brand names, full synthetic.I’ll switch back to Dexos 1 soon after the racing event.

I believe the Dexos 2 has more anti-wear additives, but at the expense of being a catalytic converter poison. I plan to keep my converters, and I believe the additional additives aren’t contributors to anti-wear during the lower stresses of day to day driving.
I also believe no-one has the single answer of which oil is “best” for our specific vehicle. To know conclusively would require a scientifically structured study of a statistically significant number of our cars.I believe if we use any of the top brands, in the correct weighting, we will all have successful results and no failures directly related to the oil itself.

My 2 cents, and worth just about that much!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #73
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Gonna use amsoil. I use it in all my vehicles
Old 04-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #74
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer110 View Post
Gonna use amsoil. I use it in all my vehicles
I'm gonna use Amsoil engine oil too. I used it in my 5th Gen 1LE and was very happy with it.

Whether you have the LT1 in the SS or the LT4 in the ZL1, Dexos2 0W-40 or 5W-40 is recommended in the HP Supplement for any type of "competitive driving". The 0W-40 would be better for colder climates as it will flow better than 5W-40 before the engine warms up, when a lot of the normal wear usually occurs. When racing, the 40W viscosity helps keep the oil pressure up and better lubricates bearings and internal components at sustained high temps.

I used one of my free oil changes at 600 miles and later learned that the service dept will always use 5W-30 Dexos1, not really suitable for racing. When I started looking for the Dexos2 0W-40 and 5W-40 oils back in Jan I could find nothing in the US. As others have said, Dexos2 appears to be available only in European markets. So far, I've found zero Dexos2 0W-40 available in the US. However, Amzoil DOES offer 5W-40 that meets the Dexos2 spec. I bought a case of 4 gal. and filters. Changing oil more often than recommended is cheap insurance, especially if you drive it hard.

European Car Formula 5W-40 Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil
Case of 4 Gal: $119.00 (preferred pricing}
Product Code: AFL1G-CA

Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter
Each: $12.95 (preferred pricing)
Product Code: EA15K50-EA

I'm changing my engine oil, filter, and differential gear oil after going to the drag strip this weekend. This will be the 3rd time changing gear oil. I first changed it at about 800 miles to remove any grit from initial break-in. HP Supplement recommends changing it after each racing event. Because descriptions of the recommended lubricant I've read mentioned additives for the eLSD, I went with the listed Dexron LS Gear Oil (GM Part No. 88862624) instead of "improved" alternatives. I used 2 qts.

ACDelco Dexron LS Gear Oil [75W-90]
Each: $23.83
GM Part No. 88862624

My take-away from all I've read in the GM manuals, forums, and various on-line resources for racing and engine building/tuning; is that you can use the lower viscosity oil (5W-30) to maximize horse power at the drag strip as long as you don't do a lot of hot-lapping. For sustained high-temp motor sports like road racing, you'll need to go with the higher viscosities to maintain oil pressure and protect engine bearings and internals. Bottom line is if you're worried about engine wear you should go with the higher viscosities. It's worth a few HP to protect the engine over the long-term.

I'm more than a little upset with GM for requiring the Dexos2 spec. but not ensuring there is a ready supply of it for US customers. You can't even order it through GM Parts/Service at the dealership! I have submitted a line of questions to my dealership's racing team on this topic. If they give me something useful I'll report back.

GM Dexos2 Licensed Brands:
The list is obviously incomplete and/or not updated - another of my gripes with GM.
Code:
Brand Name               Supplier         Spec   Viscosity Region
# 0W-40
Castrol EDGE             Castrol Ltd.     dexos2 0W-40     Global
Mobil 1™ ESP             ExxonMobil       dexos2 0W-40     Global
# 5W-40
Castrol EDGE             Castrol Ltd.     dexos2 5W-40     Global
Castrol Magnatec C3      Castrol Ltd.     dexos2 5W-40     Global
Castrol Magnatec 
Professional OE          Castrol Ltd.     dexos2 5W-40     Global 
Havoline Pro DS™ Fully 
Synthetic Euro Motor Oil Chevron Products dexos2 5W-40     Global
Havoline Pro DS™ Fully 
Synthetic LE             Chevron Products dexos2 5W-40     Global
Havoline Ultra S         Chevron Products dexos2 5W-40     Global
Mobil Super 3000 
Formula G                ExxonMobil Oil   dexos2 5W-40     Global
Valvoline SynPower 
MST C3                   Ashland, Inc.    dexos2 5W-40     Global
Valvoline SynPower® MST 
Full Synthetic           Ashland, Inc.    dexos2 5W-40     Global
##!! None of these are available in US at 0W-40 or 5W-40

Have fun with it!
--Cal

More reading on racing oils - viscosity and other factors:

How It Works: Driven Racing Oil
(good write-up on viscosities and dry-vs-wet sump engines)

Bad Ass Cars: What is the best oil to use in my performance engine?
(good info on oil weights/viscosities)

Engine Builder Magazine: Picking a Racing Oil
(Detailed discussion on viscosities for different applications)

Engine Builder Magazine: Performance engines built for racing deserve the best possible lubrication...
(Why lower viscosity oils are better for drag racing)
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #75
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Glad I found this thread! I was searching for the "magical race oil" and wasn't finding much. Thanks! Time to call my Napa hookup. Otherwise, I'm using the GM 5/30 part #88865635 that I got at $3.78 a quart (dealer employee).
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #76
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Glad I found this thread! I was searching for the "magical race oil" and wasn't finding much. Thanks! Time to call my Napa hookup. Otherwise, I'm using the GM 5/30 part #88865635 that I got at $3.78 a quart (dealer employee).
Napa doesn't sell any Dexos 2 oil that I'm aware of. Neither does GM. I specifically asked Chevy Service Dept. See my links above.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #77
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
FYI that's standard 5w-30 - not the dexos 2 40 weight recommended for track.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #78
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Napa doesn't sell any Dexos 2 oil that I'm aware of. Neither does GM. I specifically asked Chevy Service Dept. See my links above.
Napa DOES sell Valvoline MST 5W-40, which is Dexos2 certified.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #79
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
Napa DOES sell Valvoline MST 5W-40, which is Dexos2 certified.
Ahh, you're right. I just found a reference to it: Valvoline Synpower

I did a lot of searching even before I took delivery in December and no one at that time was selling Dexos 2 except Amsoil. I always provide a reference here when I learn something new.

It's good to finally get some options. GM didn't even see fit to provide the oil they require. I'm still going to stick with Amsoil, though. It's always worked well for me in the past.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #80
JeromeS13

Quote:
Ahh, you're right. I just found a reference to it: Valvoline Synpower

I did a lot of searching even before I took delivery in December and no one at that time was selling Dexos 2 except Amsoil. I always provide a reference here when I learn something new.

It's good to finally get some options. GM didn't even see fit to provide the oil they require. I'm still going to stick with Amsoil, though. It's always worked well for me in the past.
Motul X-Clean 5W-40 has been around for a while, too. That's what I've been using.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #81
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
Motul X-Clean 5W-40 has been around for a while, too. That's what I've been using.
Once again, here's an actual reference to prove it's Dexos 2 compliant: 8100 X-clean 5W-40

Where were you guys back in Dec/Jan when I was asking around? Neither the Synpower or Motul Dexos 2 oils were listed on GM's Dexos site or anywhere in these forums. No one seemed to have a clue back then. GM could/should have greased the skids a lot better before introducing models that require the high viscosity Dexos 2 blends. Anyway, it's good that we've finally got more options.

--Cal
Old 05-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #82
JeromeS13

Quote:
Once again, here's an actual reference to prove it's Dexos 2 compliant: 8100 X-clean 5W-40

Where were you guys back in Dec/Jan when I was asking around? Neither the Synpower or Motul Dexos 2 oils were listed on GM's Dexos site or anywhere in these forums. No one seemed to have a clue back then. GM could/should have greased the skids a lot better before introducing models that require the high viscosity Dexos 2 blends. Anyway, it's good that we've finally got more options.

--Cal
This thread was started back in January:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ighlight=motul
Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #83
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I just bought 0-20 Royal Purple for mine.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #84
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
When I said otherwise, I meant my normal daily driving. I'm only gonna run that Syn MST for track runs and will probably leave it in til my next change. Can't see wasting money when the oil is fine. My owner's manual does not state the Valvoline MST or Mobil 1 ESP have to meet Dexos2. I mean, good luck even finding the Mobil!
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote