Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #15
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Absolutely, it will definitely cut a hole you can stick your head through.
Oh

Sorry! Sometimes I can't tell when people are joking, over the years internet dweebs ruined my sense of humor I guess.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
OP, if you go into a body shop and inquire about this, have someone take a video of the guy's reaction. I think it will be... interesting.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #17
ElwoodBlues

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Forget the sunroof... think T-Tops!!! this thing needs T-Tops!!!
ElwoodBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #18
DaddyBigStroke69
DaddyBigStroke69

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Appreciate the feedback. Yea I didn't think about the cost of the customization to be able to do the sunroof. I guess it's one of those things that I didn't think I'd miss but as soon as some nice weather rolls around I always want to be able to open it up and I don't have it ya know? Trading in just isn't an option financially right now. But I do plan on trading in in a year or two for an 18 so I will definitely make sure there next one I get will have a sunroof. And on the t-tops, is that actually a possibility to do aftermarket?
Old 03-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigStroke69 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Yea I didn't think about the cost of the customization to be able to do the sunroof. I guess it's one of those things that I didn't think I'd miss but as soon as some nice weather rolls around I always want to be able to open it up and I don't have it ya know? Trading in just isn't an option financially right now. But I do plan on trading in in a year or two for an 18 so I will definitely make sure there next one I get will have a sunroof. And on the t-tops, is that actually a possibility to do aftermarket?
Dunno about the T-Tops, but I love the sunroof on my 2SS. Kind of opens the cabin space up some. Even just the extra light coming in makes one feel a little less like you're in an enclosed cockpit. When your situation allows it, I am sure you will enjoy having the sunroof.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #20
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I considered it for a long time in my 1LT and I wanted one pretty bad, and I love the reverse mohawk, but it plainly just wasn't going to be worth the risk. There's too many 6th Gens out there with sunroofs already in them. I ended up trading...

....and you know what happened after I got my sunroof?

...I never used it. Like literally maybe 10 days of the whole year it may spend open.

OP, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that you do not cut into your roof, and that you trade in. It will be much less of a headache and no chance it will get f'd up, because if that happens you're boned.

Now one thing I really wish we could have, is a Reverse Mohawk shaped sunroof that blends into the Reverse Mohawk roof that came on 6th Gens without sun roofs...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #21
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigStroke69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Dunno about the T-Tops, but I love the sunroof on my 2SS. Kind of opens the cabin space up some. Even just the extra light coming in makes one feel a little less like you're in an enclosed cockpit. When your situation allows it, I am sure you will enjoy having the sunroof.

T-Tops are more feasible since it’s already been done on a few 6th gens, namely some Firebird/TransAm tribute builds. It would still be expensive though, and you’ll lose your curtain airbags.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #22
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Thank goodness that T-tops have been long gone in Camaros! I had some in my 1987 IROC Z28 that leaked from day one when I bought the car new until 1998 when I got rid of it. The rubber seals were replaced under warranty but it never stopped the leaking on both sides. The 1998 Camaro SS had them but they never leaked a drop except when opening the door when it was raining. That’s why to this day I would never buy a car or truck with a sunroof because I would be concerned it might leak. Give me a whole roof like my Silverado and Camaro have!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
What the 6th gen is really missing is a targa top!
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #24
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Thank goodness that T-tops have been long gone in Camaros! I had some in my 1987 IROC Z28 that leaked from day one when I bought the car new until 1998 when I got rid of it. The rubber seals were replaced under warranty but it never stopped the leaking on both sides. The 1998 Camaro SS had them but they never leaked a drop except when opening the door when it was raining. That’s why to this day I would never buy a car or truck with a sunroof because I would be concerned it might leak. Give me a whole roof like my Silverado and Camaro have!
Well, to be fair sunroof technology has come a very long way since the 80s. I’ve had two cars with moon roofs, used them all the time, and neither with over 10 years and each over 150,000 miles leaked a drop.

I have all the confidence in the world with my Camaro moonroof.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #25
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
True but some of them do leak and someone at work had a 2015 GMC Denali truck and his leaked so bad that it was in the shop more than once and the dealer bodyshop never could get it fixed so he finally traded it in on a brand new Chevy Silverado 1500 4 door truck. I have talked to several Camaro owners, 5th and 6th gen, that have had problems with their sunroofs. I guess there are a few that give problems like everything else made nowadays!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #26
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Don't do it- been there, done that. Here's my experience- did one on a brand new 2011 MazdaSpeed 3. A great car that came with no sunroof option. Dealer added one for me- professionally installed. Set me back $1400 or so- back then. It looked great and worked great. Actually it worked great and never leaked but 4 years later I started noticing the roof caving in a settling in one corner of the sunroof. There was a definite dip starting- it was even more prominent after 5 years. The car was crashed and I only had it 5 years so I don't know what would have happened over more time. The roof does not have the supporting infrastructure to support a sunroof. The extra weight over time will cause the roof to settle. When you buy a brand new car with a sunroof they are heavier than a car without one as they have the supporting infrastructure built around the sunroof to support the extra weight- glass, frame, etc.

If you want a sunroof- buy a brand new car with one.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #27
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
True but some of them do leak and someone at work had a 2015 GMC Denali truck and his leaked so bad that it was in the shop more than once and the dealer bodyshop never could get it fixed so he finally traded it in on a brand new Chevy Silverado 1500 4 door truck. I have talked to several Camaro owners, 5th and 6th gen, that have had problems with their sunroofs. I guess there are a few that give problems like everything else made nowadays!
If they leak there is most likely a drainage issue. If the dealer could not fix it my assertion is that the problem was less about the parts or assembly and design from General Motors and more to do with the incompetence of the dealer.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #28
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
5 Camaros with sunroofs and no leaks and no problems. I really enjoy the light it brings to the Camaro cave interior. In the summer I hardly ever use the AC. Windows down, roof open is about as close as you can get to a vert without owning one. It only adds a few pounds.

But I do like the Mohawk also. Very cool. Choices. But OP keep your top on!