Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #57
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I can see a case for a 7th gen Camaro, and I can see a case against it.

For: If you have a platform (AlphaII), and a drivetrain (LT2 from the C8), why wouldnt' GM try to recoup the developement costs of those a bit with some Camaro sales. As was stated before in this thread, I just don't see Cadillac selling enough CT5's and CT4's to support the AlphaII and the plant (Lansing Grand River). Yes, there will still be development costs and certification costs, etc., but platform sharing helps with profitablilty. With no Camaro, Cadillac won't be able to sustain their cars, and would have to go SUV only like Ford.

Against: The segment as a whole is in severe decline. Nobody is buying cars any more.
Camaro sales are in the tank, and most folks (but not all, God bless them) threw up on first sight of the refresh. Regulations are focing manufacturers to electric, and perhaps GM is putting folks like Al O. on that job to create a performance variant of an electric vehicle. There is a huge change coming in not just cars, but in transportation in general, and it's probably "all hands on deck" to be the leader to the market.

Or, what if (and this is a BIG what if) GM is delaying the 7th gen to wait for the Omega platform (underpinning the current CT6) to be available. It is a more flexible architecture and lighter weight than the AlphaII. It is a full size platform, but GM is going to four platforms total for the future, so I am guessing this platform could be flexed a bit more than was possible with previous platforms. This gives time for the C8 to produce several variants, freeing up more powertrain options. In other words, this also gives time to allow an LT5 Camaro to the 6th Gen lineup. Or even a Z/28 with the rumored 5.5L DOHC FPC engine from the C8.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #58
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
So 4 more MY's with no additional models or upgrades? IF true that sucks and will surely lead to a slow painful death for the Camaro.
That's what I'm hearing. I'm sure we will get a 55th Anniversary for 2022 and maybe some other special edition cars but folks that were expecting a 6th gen Z28 or super LT5 powered ZL1 are likely going to be disappointed. I thought that the news of the GT500 would surely light a fire under the Camaro camp (and it may still) but as of yet, it doesn't look like Camaro will have an answer for that car.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #59
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Not really surprised. I hated the 5th Gen and the 6th wasn’t a big enough departure. Then the 19’ refresh, seriously that’s what they could come up with? It’s worth laughing over. If the Camaro is gone I hope they do a 2+2 variant of the vette. That might be the resurrection of the front engine
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #60
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I think it’s the right thing to do , this way it opens the doors to new technology that would have the old Camaro diehards in tears . It’s time for a new first generation of high performance built for the times .
+1
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #61
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
I've said this over on the FB pages and I'll say it here...
the way I see it is this:
1) Mary is heavily driven on the EV world, she's even said it her self that by "x" year soon (I can't recall the exact date) that all the fleet will be electric... 2) it doesn't help when those stupid real people not actors commercials.... I far see that the Dodge commercials are pretty awesome and for me, I love seeing them. GM in general is geared towards bean counters and not drivers... I guess that's what we get with todays generation...
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #62
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Starve a product.
Ignore consumer complaints (or fail to educate the public).
No advertising buzz.
No incentives.
Give up and cancel product.

Yep, sounds like GM.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #63
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
SMH, it is a bullshit article. These days social media reports will decieve people in order to get views, likes, etc on their pages for their sponsors. And that is all this article is doing also.
This does seem like the type of article that is drawn up just to get clicks.

Quote:

The S550 Mustang platform was extended 1 year. Then there were rumors that it would be extended to 2023. Then there were rumors that Ford would let the S550 go for a total of 10 years. And there was uncertainty about the S650. But nobody questioned whether or not it would remain.

True but we have heard rumors and rumblings. The magazines have pretty much all reported that the Mustang is staying around as Ford's only car and that it will share a platform with the new Explorer

Quote:

The Challenger has been on the same platform for over 10 years. EPA regs are getting stricter and stricter and there are no indications that FCA will be able to comply or not. There is no mention of a next Gen Challenger at all. But not one person is questioning whether or not it will remain.
I don't think anyone knows what the hell FCA is doing, that's why no one is questioning it lol. I wouldn't be shocked if FCA can't merge with anyone that Dodge and Chrylser get shuttered and they just roll with Ram and Jeep.

Quote:
Next up the Camaro. Basically the only thing this article writer knows is that the Camaro MIGHT be getting a 2 year extension on it's 6th Gen platform. And that is all it takes for people to once again start flaming off that the Camaro is doomed. 2023 is 4 years away. Did anyone know there would be a Redeye 4 years ago? Did anyone know what would be going on with the GT500 4 years ago? Ok so since we don't know what is going on with the Camaro in 2023, can anyone definitely me what the Mustang and Challenger will be doing in 2023? So then why the Hell is the Camaro the only one they're questioning? It is bullshit.
While yes earlier I agree this seems like the type made just for clicks there is some evidence that at least makes me go hmmm I could see that happening.

1. Al O getting plucked away from the Camaro. He's the guy that got it where it is and he's in another department.
2. The sales are bad (segment wise all bad)
3. there's really been no rumors about the 7th gen. I think everyone just assumed it would go on Alpha II like the CT4/5

But to me there is way more reasons to keep it around that have already been mentioned. Mostly the plant won't survive on just CT4/5 production. That alone to me makes the car worth carrying into a 7th gen. I would say it's more likely that we see a 7th gen than not.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #64
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
Has everything to do with your logic. Have you seen leaks of the 7th gen Mustang? What you posted quoted below.

"I've been saying this for a while, if there was an Alpha 2 Camaro we would have seen leaks. The only thing I can recall is that patent drawing which looked like a Cadillac coupe. "
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #65
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
*IF* this is true...

I guess all the people who were concerned with the poor sales of the 2015, 2016+ etc Camaros and were repeatedly told they were being stupid, over reacting, etc...were right all along.
Amen....
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #66
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
I read about this last week on another GM based forum.
They were all bashing the 5th and 6th gen Camaros as failures. (from what I gathered, they were much bigger fans of 2nd-4th Gen styles)

They did make a couple good points though.

The Mustang is not a bad car, but is very hard to kill because its name and pop culture icon status sell it regardless of anything else.

Dodge sold personality and brute muscle... without refinement or finesse..... it helps greatly that it is so big and roomy.

Then Chevy tried to produce a car that's all about performance at the expense of both real world usability, and affordability. .... People wanting the top on performance were probably already buying the Corvette. Those that needed more than 2 seats, (except a small few) needed something with better visibility and accessibility for those family members that took seats 3 and 4............ then we agree 2019 was a bad, bad decision.

So Chevy got lost and got too focused on performance, at the expense of mainstream appeal.

We live in an echo chamber here. We love these cars and are biased..... but for somebody that doesn't want the absolute best performance car, Dodge is too hard to ignore. Looks good, holds the whole family, and still puts out comparable horsepower.

On the other hand, it would make sense to me that with the Vette going mid-engine, the price for even the base model should be comparable to the Grandsport today...... thus leaving a gap for people wanting a performance Chevy, under 80k
Old 06-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #67
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Has everything to do with your logic. Have you seen leaks of the 7th gen Mustang? What you posted quoted below.

"I've been saying this for a while, if there was an Alpha 2 Camaro we would have seen leaks. The only thing I can recall is that patent drawing which looked like a Cadillac coupe. "
But I'm not talking about the Mustang? I don't follow Ford or have any idea what their usual vehicle cycle is or their platforms.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #68
@camarochris_

Drives: Camaro ss
I think the 2019 refresh is a big reason for the low sales. it just does not look good. after I saw the 2019 refresh I went out and bought an '18 before they were all gone.
@camarochris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #69
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by @camarochris_ View Post
I think the 2019 refresh is a big reason for the low sales. it just does not look good. after I saw the 2019 refresh I went out and bought an '18 before they were all gone.
It's not. Sales were down before that and we've had zero problem selling 2019s here. Folks that don't care for the front want to use that as an excuse but there are PLENTY of people that do like the 2019s.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #70
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
They were all bashing the 5th and 6th gen Camaros as failures.
Anyone who says the 5th Gen was a failure needs their head examined
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote