Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #71
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I was hooked on Shell until recently they put up labels on the pumps that they are now using up to 10% ethanol....

I have sent several emails to Chevron asking if they are using ethanol (NONE of their stations have the mandatory labels) and got NO response...
A Federal Mandate is rolling out. All gasoline is supposed to use 10% ethanol so help reduce "foreign" oil-dependency. There is a "cushion" allowing various manufacturers time to start including it, but it is coming to your local station if it isn't there already.

My advice?
Try to keep getting pure gasoline if it's available. However; use the highest octane available regardless if it has ethanol or not. Ethanol has a higher octane vs. gasoline, so it helps get that 93+ octane rating. Ethanol has less energy, so you'll lose gas mileage. All modern cars can run on up to 15% ethanol easily, so 10% isn't any real issue, except if you let the gas sit for a long time (where it can absorb water). The water issue is another reason I recommend company stores. They have to test their fuel storage tanks for water contamination monthly, while independents don't. Basically, ethanol can increase power, but lower mileage. But it won't hurt your engine if it's from a quality source.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #72
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28mass View Post
all my camaros get the 93 octane

I have found a few Petro Canada's that sell Ultra 94 in my area,everything else seems to be 91. So ill be only going there for my ZL1!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote