Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Slate993tt

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1 1LE
ICHE Bleed?

Anyone on here heard of this procedure or had it done? Long story short but my car is done on power where it is hugely noticeable 3rd and 4th gear. It's acting like it's pulling all the timing as the boost gauge reads full but on the track it's a pooch. To me it seems like the Intercooler pump isn't working. On this past Wednesday at Willow Springs I would apex 9 at 102mph and top out at 128mph down down the front straight. It should have been 150mph. PDR says engine coolant temp high during the run sessions was 217(don't know if that is normal or high) but the car is acting as if it is heat soaking and pulling all the timing to protect the motor(which if true is a good thing for sure). No CEL & No Codes picked up by my ODB2 scanner so the car itself seems fine. Around town driving at legal speeds you'd never know but once out on the track it feels like a 400hp car not a 650hp car.

So on Friday I was told it needs a ICHE procedure and so I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they looked at me a bit confused. So i'm just curious if anyone else has heard of this procedure and/or had it done.

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Slate993tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
These cars go into cat-over-temp protection mode almost immediately with the factory tune. Maybe that’s what you’re feeling??? I assume the procedure you are referring to is to bleed the intercooler system of any air bubbles. If you logged intake temps you could see if your intercooler got way over heated.

If I tracked my car regularly I’d minimally have that OBD2 gauge that goes into the AC vent to monitor iat and other parameters. I thinks it’s called the P3 gauge???
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Slate993tt

Yes I too think logging the IAT's is a good idea. All I know is there was 3 other ZL1's out there with me Wednesday and ALL of them were stock and all of them did not have any of the low power issues I was having. Something isn't right on mine and I can only hope the dealer is able to figure it out easily. And yes I believe the ICHE would be some sort of bleed procedure to remove any air from the system. That doesn't seem to be a known issue from what I can tell from my short time on this Board so that does make me a bit curious on why mine has it if indeed that becomes the issue.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89

Interested in your dealers response/action.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Slate993tt

quick update: The dealer unsuccessful at first attempt due to an update to the fitting needed to perform the procedure. Getting the car back and they will let me know when they have the new fitting from GM(hopefully) in a few days and they will try it again.

Once completed I will update the board with the results.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate993tt View Post
quick update: The dealer unsuccessful at first attempt due to an update to the fitting needed to perform the procedure. Getting the car back and they will let me know when they have the new fitting from GM(hopefully) in a few days and they will try it again.

Once completed I will update the board with the results.
Thanks, keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Slate993tt

UPDATE: Car seems fixed!!!

OK, car seems to be at 100% now. The dealership had a wait what seems like 2 weeks for them to get a new style fitting from GM in order for them to properly do a Bleed of the Cooling system. Apparently there must have been air in mine that wasn't allowing the coolant to circulate through the supercharger intercoolers and thus why my car would fall on it's face 3rd & 4th gear on the track as the ECU as just pulling a bunch of timing to protect the motor.

For those that care prior to getting the car back i took some temps of the Intake plenum and the read out would be 165ish degrees across the plenum(once at full operating temperature).

Now the car reads 126ish degrees. This was using a Laser Temp gun that I use for tire temps at track.

Upper radiator hose read 175 both before and after and the lower also had the same readouts. So it all seems to have been an issue in the charge cooling system that is now resolved.

What's funny or sad is 1st & 2nd gear doesn't feel much different on the street as it doesn't hook anyway but what a difference up-top. I remember being very underwhelmed when I first took ownership but figured I had gotten used to faster cars I've owned. But once I got it out on the track and it was well under the MPH speed it should be hitting on the straights I knew something was up.

Now I can't wait to get it back on the track for some true tests.

Chad
Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
GarnetRedJuan

Drives: 2017 garnet red zl1 2022 AT4 HD
I am currently going through this exact thing. Dealer told me the same diagnosis and solve. Im glad it worked for you and hoping it works for me as well. seems promising.
GarnetRedJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I air is present in the present in the intercooler system for the supercharger the pump cavitates and shuts down for three minutes. There is no warning light just very high manifold temps which pulls timing and you loose power.When the pump restarts and and cavitates again the same problem occurs. The intercooler system must be vacuum filled to purge all the air. The fitting required is not the same as the LT4 in the Corvette. Why GM decided you need two different fittings for basically the same engine is a mystery. The vacuum system tool is the same for both LT4 versions. Corvettes suffer the same problem.
wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaab View Post
I air is present in the present in the intercooler system for the supercharger the pump cavitates and shuts down for three minutes. There is no warning light just very high manifold temps which pulls timing and you loose power.When the pump restarts and and cavitates again the same problem occurs. The intercooler system must be vacuum filled to purge all the air. The fitting required is not the same as the LT4 in the Corvette. Why GM decided you need two different fittings for basically the same engine is a mystery. The vacuum system tool is the same for both LT4 versions. Corvettes suffer the same problem.
Good info. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Is something one can do at home, or are special GM tools needed?
Old 08-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
SilverZl1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Lots of us have had this issue, either heavily modified or stock. All you need is a high point auxiliary reservoir that will allow the IC system to self bleed. Most guys , including me, use the ADM reservoir. It’s a simple 15 minute diy and permanently solves the mysterious air pocket problem. It’s the same small reservoir that comes with the Edelbrock blower kit. Give ADM a call and he will hook you up.
SilverZl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 AM   #13
NewfieZ

Drives: 2019 ZL1 (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZl1 View Post
Lots of us have had this issue, either heavily modified or stock. All you need is a high point auxiliary reservoir that will allow the IC system to self bleed. Most guys , including me, use the ADM reservoir. It’s a simple 15 minute diy and permanently solves the mysterious air pocket problem. It’s the same small reservoir that comes with the Edelbrock blower kit. Give ADM a call and he will hook you up.

Anyone have a link to this ADM reservoir?
2000 Camaro SS - 418ci LS - Brian Tooley H/C/I

NewfieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #14
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieZ View Post
Anyone have a link to this ADM reservoir?
https://lsa-conversion-store.myshopi...sivoir-upgrade

Recommended.