Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #15
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Why do you think you need new rotors? Post a pic.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmalaquin View Post
They have 30k miles and around 10 track days. I might be able to do a few more road miles but I want a spare set for my next track day
If you're using stock pads, the stock rotors should be able to do way more than 10 track days before needing replacement as long as there are no cracks reaching to the edges. A spare set is a good idea but don't expect to be needing them anytime soon. Measure the rotor thickness with some calipers (available cheap from Harbor Freight) to confirm they're not below minimum thickness. New OEM SS 1LE front rotors are 34mm and 32mm is minimum/discard thickness.

At over 30k miles and 15 track days (plus apparent track/mountain driving from the first owner during the first 15k miles), I still have over 1/3 of my usable front rotor thickness remaining. The very outer edge of the rotor where the pad doesn't touch has had a raised lip for over 2 years which the stealership may claim as a reason for replacing the rotors but they still stop the car perfectly.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
+1

If you're using stock pads, the stock rotors should be able to do way more than 10 track days before needing replacement as long as there are no cracks reaching to the edges. A spare set is a good idea but don't expect to be needing them anytime soon. Measure the rotor thickness with some calipers (available cheap from Harbor Freight) to confirm they're not below minimum thickness. New OEM SS 1LE front rotors are 34mm and 32mm is minimum/discard thickness.

At over 30k miles and 15 track days (plus apparent track/mountain driving from the first owner during the first 15k miles), I still have over 1/3 of my usable front rotor thickness remaining. The very outer edge of the rotor where the pad doesn't touch has had a raised lip for over 2 years which the stealership may claim as a reason for replacing the rotors but they still stop the car perfectly.
+1
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmalaquin View Post
I m pretty happy about the OEM performance, no need to upgrade rotors...
I have more confidence in GM and Brembo validation testing than aftermarket.
GM went though a very thorough validation plan for the OEM stuff (maybe even including some tracking at Milford PG) not sure about aftermarket...But that's my personal opinion...cheers
Yep not only at Milford, but also the Ring. Stocker's value (longevity vs price) is impressive to say the least. Best kit i have ever run. Aftermarket discs are ok too, for those wishing to save a few bucks, but the should be bought with new hat bolts. Also, eventually (personal call re duration) hats need to be changed as well. Given the price difference (especially accounting for Rockauto discounts), I'd much rather buy a whole assembly and brand new parts, each time. Cheers!
Old 11-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I've had good luck with DBA, no experience with Girodisc.

35,500 street miles on original rotors, no issues yet.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #19
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Yep not only at Milford, but also the Ring. Stocker's value (longevity vs price) is impressive to say the least. Best kit i have ever run. Aftermarket discs are ok too, for those wishing to save a few bucks, but the should be bought with new hat bolts. Also, eventually (personal call re duration) hats need to be changed as well. Given the price difference (especially accounting for Rockauto discounts), I'd much rather buy a whole assembly and brand new parts, each time. Cheers!
I've actually never seen rockauto discounts, but whole heartedly agree on the OEM kit being the tits
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #20
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
it's seems kind of expensive, i'm used to <$100 a piece for my old bimmer. But that car had HALF the power
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #21
V4Magna

Drives: 21 SS 1LE, V4Magna, Yukon
Send a message via MSN to V4Magna
These Rotors are expensive! hopefully they last long enough too.
V4Magna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4Magna View Post
These Rotors are expensive! hopefully they last long enough too.
They last 15-20 hard track days. Most of any rotors i have ever used. Unlike some lighter aftermarket alternatives, they are made in USA and come as a complete assembly, incl hats.
Also, i am yet to hear of a single stock rotor crack, even when used with high torque pads.

So, while they are not "cheap", they represent a good overall value and excellent quality. IMO.