Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #15
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
any chance tony will be offering a mail in upgrade for us version 1 owners?

Yes...what appleman said.
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #16
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitesnakeSS View Post
You cant go wrong I actually feel like I have a whole new car, theres a huge difference. The fact I have 2in headers and the rotofab definitely adds to it and vice versa.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:20 AM   #17
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Sorry for the lag....

I expected this question and will probably get into more detail in my thread.

Bottom line is yes but it will be alot more than just the cost of the upgrade when considering a new purchase. To be honest the difference in retail price doesnt even cover my internal costs of the V2 machining ops on the CNC but I was trying to keep the price no more than $450 shipped and at this point that is where I have drawn the line in the sand.

Point is you send in a used V1 it requires me to label and keep track of it, clean it, remove the red loctite screws from the TB blade (more challenging on smaller fasteners), touch up the housing bore porting to my latest configuration, get the TB on the CNC machine for the throttle shaft milling, clean up and rebrush the blade finish and get that engraved....then put it all back together with the new hardware and set up the proper blade gap. Its actually real close to the same amount of time and effort a brand new TB requires and I have to keep track of a bunch of used TB's floating though the shop (new doesnt matter).

I haven't got a firm price for that figured out yet but it would be at least $250 plus return freight to make it a worthwhile business decision on this end. I would have to do a few and log a time study on it to see if that cost made sense and go from there.

I mean that's still an attractive number when compared to a new purchase but it also begs the question are you better off trying to sell the V1 and then buy a new V2? I guess its nice to have both options available. Guys in a rush it probably makes the most sense upgrading....guys that are more patient can simply buy new and post the V1 for sale.

Once again guys that price is subject to change but for now that will be the cost of the upgrade till I build a few and see how that goes.

Sorry for the lag responding to this.....its been a very busy week....the warm weather is coming and guys are getting their cars/engines ready for the nicer cruising weather ahead

Cheers,
Tony
661-714-1317
www.mamomotorsports.com
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:11 AM   #18
WhitesnakeSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Sorry for the lag....

I expected this question and will probably get into more detail in my thread.

Bottom line is yes but it will be alot more than just the cost of the upgrade when considering a new purchase. To be honest the difference in retail price doesnt even cover my internal costs of the V2 machining ops on the CNC but I was trying to keep the price no more than $450 shipped and at this point that is where I have drawn the line in the sand.

Point is you send in a used V1 it requires me to label and keep track of it, clean it, remove the red loctite screws from the TB blade (more challenging on smaller fasteners), touch up the housing bore porting to my latest configuration, get the TB on the CNC machine for the throttle shaft milling, clean up and rebrush the blade finish and get that engraved....then put it all back together with the new hardware and set up the proper blade gap. Its actually real close to the same amount of time and effort a brand new TB requires and I have to keep track of a bunch of used TB's floating though the shop (new doesnt matter).

I haven't got a firm price for that figured out yet but it would be at least $250 plus return freight to make it a worthwhile business decision on this end. I would have to do a few and log a time study on it to see if that cost made sense and go from there.

I mean that's still an attractive number when compared to a new purchase but it also begs the question are you better off trying to sell the V1 and then buy a new V2? I guess its nice to have both options available. Guys in a rush it probably makes the most sense upgrading....guys that are more patient can simply buy new and post the V1 for sale.

Once again guys that price is subject to change but for now that will be the cost of the upgrade till I build a few and see how that goes.

Sorry for the lag responding to this.....its been a very busy week....the warm weather is coming and guys are getting their cars/engines ready for the nicer cruising weather ahead

Cheers,
Tony
661-714-1317

www.mamomotorsports.com
Thank you Tony. I'm interested because I know the difference your V1 made from stock.
WhitesnakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #19
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Quote:
Thank you Tony. I'm interested because I know the difference your V1 made from stock.
Hit me up....Im fairly certain you will really like the new one as well.

Email me...just remind me about your screen name on the board when you do

Tony@mamomotorsports.com

Regards,
Tony
Old 02-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #20
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
How does this compare with the Soler TB.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 AM   #21
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
How does this compare with the Soler TB.
My TB's have always had the best housing bore design out there....the most efficient and most aerodynamic shape which while helping peak flow also helps the lower throttle positions a great deal also.

I have spent close to half my life on a flowbench since building one from scratch in 1996. Prior to launching Mamo Motorsports in 2015, I worked for 15 years as the head of R&D for AFR (Airflow Research) directly in charge of their cylinder head and intake manifold product design as well as the dyno testing all the products I designed for them. Designing a TB for me is easy in comparison...its a much more straight forward component for me to improve on relative to heads and manifolds which are far more complicated to optimize. For a true airflow guy, a ported TB is much more straight forward but they have their nuances as well in regards to what you can and cant get away with to keep the ECM happy.

The main upgrade my new TB is offering is the uniquely milled throttle shafts which I narrow significantly.....slight tweaks to my existing housing bore design but the bulk of what your getting coming from the work in the throttle shaft area and that adds a bunch to the peak flow and your torque and horsepower potential. Couple that with my already superior housing bore and its just a killer combination.

You don't even have to be an airflow expert to see what Im talking about.....anyone with general grasp of fluid dynamics can look at one of my ported TBs's and examine how I rework the housing bore and see the logic of my approach to the design. There are some small nuances only a guy with a more advanced understanding of airflow might pick up on but its pretty apparent why the new TB I'm sending you is going to destroy the stock TB in every way in terms of response and performance.

I have seen everything out there and would put my V2 up against any of my competitors products. If your a fanboy of company XYZ of course my stuff will come in 2nd but if your simply an enthusiast looking for the best product possible designed by a guy with a proven track record and decades spent in the field of airflow dynamics I encourage you to reach out to me and lets see about having you try one of my new designs. If your not happy with it I will refund the cost of the part but if you give my TB a fair shake I seriously doubt I will be getting it back.

Deputy....I hope that answers your question....would love to help you and get your feedback on my new product. Guys....If you are unfamiliar with my reputation and accomplishments in this industry I suggest you Google my name to better familiarize yourself.

Cheers,
Tony
661-714-1317
tony@mamomotorsports.com
Old 02-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #22
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
My TB's have always had the best housing bore design out there....the most efficient and most aerodynamic shape which while helping peak flow also helps the lower throttle positions a great deal also.

I have spent close to half my life on a flowbench since building one from scratch in 1996. Prior to launching Mamo Motorsports in 2015, I worked for 15 years as the head of R&D for AFR (Airflow Research) directly in charge of their cylinder head and intake manifold product design as well as the dyno testing all the products I designed for them. Designing a TB for me is easy in comparison...its a much more straight forward component for me to improve on relative to heads and manifolds which are far more complicated to optimize. For a true airflow guy, a ported TB is much more straight forward but they have their nuances as well in regards to what you can and cant get away with to keep the ECM happy.

The main upgrade my new TB is offering is the uniquely milled throttle shafts which I narrow significantly.....slight tweaks to my existing housing bore design but the bulk of what your getting coming from the work in the throttle shaft area and that adds a bunch to the peak flow and your torque and horsepower potential. Couple that with my already superior housing bore and its just a killer combination.

You don't even have to be an airflow expert to see what Im talking about.....anyone with general grasp of fluid dynamics can look at one of my ported TBs's and examine how I rework the housing bore and see the logic of my approach to the design. There are some small nuances only a guy with a more advanced understanding of airflow might pick up on but its pretty apparent why the new TB I'm sending you is going to destroy the stock TB in every way in terms of response and performance.

I have seen everything out there and would put my V2 up against any of my competitors products. If your a fanboy of company XYZ of course my stuff will come in 2nd but if your simply an enthusiast looking for the best product possible designed by a guy with a proven track record and decades spent in the field of airflow dynamics I encourage you to reach out to me and lets see about having you try one of my new designs. If your not happy with it I will refund the cost of the part but if you give my TB a fair shake I seriously doubt I will be getting it back.

Deputy....I hope that answers your question....would love to help you and get your feedback on my new product. Guys....If you are unfamiliar with my reputation and accomplishments in this industry I suggest you Google my name to better familiarize yourself.

Cheers,
Tony
661-714-1317
tony@mamomotorsports.com
I know your reputation in this field is second to none Tony, your products are used and respected by many in the industry.

Couple of quick questions, in your opinion will this v2 TB be a viable option for those of us with a stock tune car? And how does it compare to an unported 95mm TB in your opinion? Lastly, I know you port ls7 msd's, do you port LT1 msd's as well?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I know your reputation in this field is second to none Tony, your products are used and respected by many in the industry.

Couple of quick questions, in your opinion will this v2 TB be a viable option for those of us with a stock tune car? And how does it compare to an unported 95mm TB in your opinion? Lastly, I know you port ls7 msd's, do you port LT1 msd's as well?
I have his V2 trust me. Its scary as hell. The toque,hp and the lag we normally have mid range is basically GONE.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #24
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
I have his V2 trust me. Its scary as hell. The toque,hp and the lag we normally have mid range is basically GONE.
Oh I like that. After my warranty is up in about 6 weeks I will get one.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #25
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post

Stock tune car no problem....but you cant type "stock tune" and "95mm TB" in the same sentence though!! That certainly wont work.

I haven't flowed a stock 95 mm yet but if I had to guess the ported V2 would flow somewhere in the middle (between a stock LT and the ZR1 larger 95 mm).....BUT my ported LT unit would have the lower throttle angle flow close enough to slip under the ECM radar. The larger 95 mm simply would not. That needs an adapter also.....its meant for more aggressive modded combo's where tuning is part of the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Oh I like that. After my warranty is up in about 6 weeks I will get one.
Hell don't wait for that....LOL

In the highly unlikely event you have an issue that might become engine warranty related you simply reinstall the stock TB you will still own. The purchase of my TB is an outright situation....you still retain the OEM TB on the car now. Installing it wont effect warranty nor will anyone ever know. You only get into an issue if you tune the car and flash the ECM

Just an FYI

-Tony
Old 02-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #26
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Stock tune car no problem....but you cant type "stock tune" and "95mm TB" in the same sentence though!! That certainly wont work.

I haven't flowed a stock 95 mm yet but if I had to guess the ported V2 would flow somewhere in the middle (between a stock LT and the ZR1 larger 95 mm).....BUT my ported LT unit would have the lower throttle angle flow close enough to slip under the ECM radar. The larger 95 mm simply would not. That needs an adapter also.....its meant for more aggressive modded combo's where tuning is part of the plan.

Hell don't wait for that....LOL

In the highly unlikely event you have an issue that might become engine warranty related you simply reinstall the stock TB you will still own. The purchase of my TB is an outright situation....you still retain the OEM TB on the car now. Installing it wont effect warranty nor will anyone ever know. You only get into an issue if you tune the car and flash the ECM

Just an FYI

-Tony
Oh yea I know the 95mm isn't a stock tune friendly unit, those were meant as separate questions lol.. thanks for the info!
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #27
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
Question for Tony; Is the lazy throttle response purposely built into the stock tb for a reason? I was having a discussion at work with a buddy who has a built CTSV, he says have it tuned out...not getting a tune under warranty with a new car. Been reading a lot of threads on ported tb units, just trying to get as much info prior to getting one. Thx
"That my friend.. is the sweet succulent sound of the car preparing to ignite the wonderfully tasty nectar your V8 needs to send the screaming bald eagles furiously from the 4 pipes out of the rear of your vehicle"
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #28
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
Question for Tony; Is the lazy throttle response purposely built into the stock tb for a reason? I was having a discussion at work with a buddy who has a built CTSV, he says have it tuned out...not getting a tune under warranty with a new car. Been reading a lot of threads on ported tb units, just trying to get as much info prior to getting one. Thx
Yes to a point.....that said I have ported dozens of different TB designs. The OEM LT1/LT4 TB is the WORST design I have ever seen. Its not even acceptable for the 250 HP trucks it was actually designed and put on GM's shelf for. In stock trim its just horrible with the first 30% of the throttle maybe getting you 10% more air as the blade is buried in aluminum that whole way. Then all of a sudden from 30% to 40% it uncovers alot of air creating a quick lean spot that the ECM has to try and cover for but cant do it quickly enough if you got into the throttle more aggressively and that's the kind of quick bog or flat spot you experience.

Look....I have written an encyclopedia of information on this exact situation (the LT throttle bodies)....if you really want to learn more take the time to Google the posts I have done on this board alone and you will know all you need to regarding why you will want to upgrade to one of my ported units.

And you will have a much clearer understanding why.....I just don't have the time to get into another lengthy post on a topic I have covered is great detail many times before. Im more interested in putting the finishing touches on my new LT flow fixtures so I can compile all the flow data including my own V1 versus V2 as well as competitors products...that should be interesting information.

Thanks for your interest in my new product

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....If you look for my posts and find one of my informative ones related to the design of the OEM TB (and how badly it sucks and why) maybe you can post it in this thread for others to learn from as well