#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #29
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post

It can always be removed if there is a major warranty claim on the engine, which is highly unlikely for '19+ cars. A CATCH CAN IS NOTHING BUT GOOD FOR RELIABILITY AND POWER

Round and round...
why specifically 19+ cars?
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:15 AM   #30
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyZL1 View Post
First of all, I'd like to say thank you to all these great threads and reading material!

Just ordered a completely base 2021 ZL1 6MT in Summit White (Due to budget reasons).

I just had a few questions and want to thank you for any help in advance!

1. Is there an oil separator or is a catch can necessary?
2. I read that we should change diff fluid twice (once at 500 and once at 1,500), would it be ok to do this once at 1,500 miles?
3. What are some things you would recommend once the car is delivered?

Use for the car: Daily driver with 1-2 track days per month.

Thanks again for your advice!

Congratulations on ordering your 2021 ZL1
1. I would get a catch can
2. Change fluids per GM guidelines
3. Enjoy driving your ZL1 as intended
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #31
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
That’s your choice to have a catch can, ZX! It’s not something I want to add at this time and that is my choice. I said I would not criticize anyone if they had one and I won’t so please respect my choice not to install one on my ZL1. Thanks!
Yep, I totally agree.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #32
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
yet ignorant comments like this persist.
Nice.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #33
Chutzpah

Quote:
Someone gets it...

Search Elite Engineering or email them, they proved it can reduce hp, they claim 20-30+ hp and it happens fast

So you want the stuff in the link below blowing back into your intake and coking your valves?

**** people are stubborn

READ IT https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=30

AGAIN....GM doesn't install a catch can because they don't want customer complaints about the waste stream/added maintenance, that is the ONLY reason. It is PROVEN to dramatically reduce coking of the intake valves and associated loss of power over time

That's your fault, then, I have mine mounted right up front and I can literally empty it in 10 seconds

The lid has to be taken off and the supercharger raised slightly, it's not that big of a deal. This is a lazy cop-out.

It can always be removed if there is a major warranty claim on the engine, which is highly unlikely for '19+ cars. A CATCH CAN IS NOTHING BUT GOOD FOR RELIABILITY AND POWER

Round and round...
All I’m looking for here is head to head independent data (I’ve read a ton on this subject). And no, I could care less about little oil in the intake. I don’t knock your choice, please don’t knock mine (or others).
Old 11-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #34
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
All I’m looking for here is head to head independent data (I’ve read a ton on this subject). And no, I could care less about little oil in the intake. I don’t knock your choice, please don’t knock mine (or others).
I'm certainly not judging your decision, I just think a little research would go a long ways to proving a catch can's value on a direct injection engine. A quick search on Google has tons of articles about it.

Here's a good video explaining their value on a direct injection engine.

Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #35
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
There's no need for independent data.. Oil reduces Octane, Oil will cause detonation. Those 2 alone are worth adding a catch can....
I can agree with both items (at extended WOT pulls) but respectfully disagree on not needing data. Everyone loves to post time slips and dyno reports, let’s see some posted up with and without a catch can / same car, same conditions.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #36
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I'm certainly not judging your decision, I just think a little research would go a long ways to proving a catch can's value on a direct injection engine. A quick search on Google has tons of articles about it.

Here's a good video explaining their value on a direct injection engine.

No worries man, I’ve watched a lot of video’s and have read a lot on the subject. I’ve seen really clean valves and and really dirty ones too. I have a friend that owns over 75 GM service trucks, with the average mileage in and around 100K (they get beat on and for the most part, run great) There are millions upon millions of GM DI engines on the road. I don’t see GM getting sued for mileage , performance or pollution issues related to coking.

Someone please provide performance data with and without a can, on a dyno same day. Then do the test again on different cars at 30k, 60k and 90k.

I don’t care if others use a can, more power to you (pun intended).
Old 11-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #37
SquirrelyZL1

Drives: ZL1, C63S Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWJR179 View Post
Congratulations on ordering your 2021 ZL1
1. I would get a catch can
2. Change fluids per GM guidelines
3. Enjoy driving your ZL1 as intended
Thank you! Super excited

Ok... this was supposed to be a thread asking for advise and tips! Not a catch can war! Can’t we just agree to disagree?

Anything else one should know about the ZL1 as a new owner?
SquirrelyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #38
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I will throw this out there now that I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 with a 4.8 liter V8 5 speed that I am the original owner with over 93,000 miles that has never had a catch can installed that still runs good and doesn’t use oil. It’s a LS engine design that I have never had any issues with in the 15 years I have owned it. I do use synthetic oil and decent grade of gasoline usually 89 octane since it has a SLP parts CAI, SLP exhaust system and a SLP Diablosport handheld tuner.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #39
SquirrelyZL1

Drives: ZL1, C63S Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I agree, no catch can needed...
Your username made me laugh. How many people you think see it and never think twice?

I’m not sure it’s not needed, but I won’t be getting one due to the dealers here in miami not being mod friendly at all!
SquirrelyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #40
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Squirrely, take your time getting used to the extra power of the LT4 and break in the engine per GMs recommendations and I think you will be okay! And yes the catch can debate is real touchy for some folks here but it’s a forum and I respect everyone’s ideas/opinions on them.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #41
Chutzpah

https://youtu.be/dBAqxSXFyb4

If nothing else, this guy is pretty funny. That’s it from me on catch cans!
Old 11-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #42
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyZL1 View Post
Thank you! Super excited

Ok... this was supposed to be a thread asking for advise and tips! Not a catch can war! Can’t we just agree to disagree?

Anything else one should know about the ZL1 as a new owner?

There is one thing, there’s a chance that under WOT, your rear end will feel loose and pull the car to one side or maybe back and forth. This isn’t caused by wheel slip (at higher speeds). There are plenty of opinions on the cause(s) here.

One person said the tires needed to be replaced. More often than not, others have resolved the issue with an alignment (bad from the factory, rear toe related). Others have gone to after market parts claiming too much flex under load on the rear suspension components. I think all of the aforementioned are valid points. If you have the “wag” then you’re ahead of the game knowing what to look out for. Start with the alignment first... I have the wag, and will be hitting the alignment shop in the spring.