Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I also wouldn't mix different tires but it may not be a big problem on autocross as opposed to road course track I think

If you want to be able to rotate the car more easily (assuming you're referring to that when you say understeer), I think having a square setup and a bit more front camber might be a better way to do it. Have you ever considered running 305/30/19 RE71Rs all around? Most people prefer RE71Rs for autocross as far as I can tell. Probably because they warm up pretty quickly and autocross is not long enough to suffer from overheating them. You may also try adjusting your driving style to induce a bit more trailbraking to increase front grip and steer with throttle.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #16
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
OP, are you new to autocross?

Where does the car push? On entry, mid corner, or on exit?
Great question. If you, OP, have been doing autoX a lot, it is probably alignment, etc...

However, if this is all new to you, it is extremely easy to get even a neutral car to push if you get the entry speed wrong or foul up the brake and gas inputs... Before you spend a ton on the car, you might have someone else to drive it for a second opinion, just to make sure it is not technique.

OP, no disrespect intended and this above comment probably does not apply to you. I can just say from my earlier autoX experiences many years ago, I experienced push, but it turned out that I needed to do more slow in, fast out. I was driving too aggressively for the situations. This was especially true for slow speed corners that you sometimes find in AutoX.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
1LE76G

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
OP, are you new to autocross?

Where does the car push? On entry, mid corner, or on exit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
Great question. If you, OP, have been doing autoX a lot, it is probably alignment, etc...

However, if this is all new to you, it is extremely easy to get even a neutral car to push if you get the entry speed wrong or foul up the brake and gas inputs... Before you spend a ton on the car, you might have someone else to drive it for a second opinion, just to make sure it is not technique.

OP, no disrespect intended and this above comment probably does not apply to you. I can just say from my earlier autoX experiences many years ago, I experienced push, but it turned out that I needed to do more slow in, fast out. I was driving too aggressively for the situations. This was especially true for slow speed corners that you sometimes find in AutoX.
Not new to autocross, just a year out of practice. As long as i didnt drive it deep into the corner i didnt have much corner entry push, but mid to exit had a good amount of push. Im not sure what people are running in these goodyears, but we start around 35psi front and rear.
I did have my dad co drive with me who's been auto crossing constantly for the last 6 years or so, and he was having the same issue.

I went and took it in for an alignment today, forgot to ask where it was at, but the tech came back and told me they could only get -1.0° of camber due to not having the proper camber bolt tool, anyone know how to get that?
1LE76G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
1LE76G

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I also wouldn't mix different tires but it may not be a big problem on autocross as opposed to road course track I think

If you want to be able to rotate the car more easily (assuming you're referring to that when you say understeer), I think having a square setup and a bit more front camber might be a better way to do it. Have you ever considered running 305/30/19 RE71Rs all around? Most people prefer RE71Rs for autocross as far as I can tell. Probably because they warm up pretty quickly and autocross is not long enough to suffer from overheating them. You may also try adjusting your driving style to induce a bit more trailbraking to increase front grip and steer with throttle.
I actually have some forgestars on order to run the 305s all the way around. At the most recent autocross, there was another 1le there with the 295 RE71s all the way around and he was about 1.3 seconds faster than me. So i think they're definitely a faster tire. How much of that is me and the alignment? Im not sure.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I love the RE71R's for autox. They feel better than my prior 80 treadwear tires. They feel like cheaters. I am no expert on tire pressures, but I was running about 5 psi lower on the stock tires before I switched to RE71R's. Your pressures might have been too high. I never let them get over 30 PSI. That seemed to be about right for shoulder wear.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE76G View Post
Not new to autocross, just a year out of practice. As long as i didnt drive it deep into the corner i didnt have much corner entry push, but mid to exit had a good amount of push. Im not sure what people are running in these goodyears, but we start around 35psi front and rear.
I did have my dad co drive with me who's been auto crossing constantly for the last 6 years or so, and he was having the same issue.
Your tire pressure is way to high.

Quote:
I went and took it in for an alignment today, forgot to ask where it was at, but the tech came back and told me they could only get -1.0° of camber due to not having the proper camber bolt tool, anyone know how to get that?
There is no special tool required to perform an alignment. They could only get -1.0 on the front or rear? The front should be able to get to -2.4 to -2.7 (car dependent). Rear should be able to get -1.5 to -1.7
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #21
1LE76G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I love the RE71R's for autox. They feel better than my prior 80 treadwear tires. They feel like cheaters. I am no expert on tire pressures, but I was running about 5 psi lower on the stock tires before I switched to RE71R's. Your pressures might have been too high. I never let them get over 30 PSI. That seemed to be about right for shoulder wear.
Oh wow 30? I think we tried 32 on the first autocross and it seemed to be rolling on to the sidewall a bit too much. Perhaps this was due to not having the correct amount of camber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Your tire pressure is way to high.

There is no special tool required to perform an alignment. They could only get -1.0 on the front or rear? The front should be able to get to -2.4 to -2.7 (car dependent). Rear should be able to get -1.5 to -1.7
What do you suggest for tire pressure? Yeah i was under the impression from reading on here that there was nothing special that needed to be done to get those numbers, so I'm a little confused on what their deal was. They could only get -1 on the front and rear.

Last edited by 1LE76G; 11-15-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: forgot to answer question
Old 11-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #22
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Oh wow 30? I think we tried 32 on the first autocross and it seemed to be rolling on to the sidewall a bit too much. Perhaps this was due to not having the correct amount of camber?

What do you suggest for tire pressure? Yeah i was under the impression from reading on here that there was nothing special that needed to be done to get those numbers, so I'm a little confused on what their deal was. They could only get -1 on the front and rear.
Your alignment shop is incompetent. Find a new one or go to a Chevy dealership where they have the correct equipment, training, and Camaro "track" alignment specs.

The Supercar 3's work best with operating pressures of 33 to 36 PSI "hot". Once they get to 37 PSI or higher they start to get a bit greasy, but it's fairly subtle. What your cold pressures need to be depends on whether you're tracking or auto-x'ing. The latter obviously doesn't put much heat into the tire, so the starting pressure will be closer to the hot pressure.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
TSW 27 offset all around 19 x 11 19 X 12 305 30 19s Felt great for this event... Used my car and friends tires.. ran a 3mm spacer in front or could of just ground a tad on strut support.
They the RE71'sR felt pretty dam good I was no where near to there limit.. Only being 4th time to do this I did good I think. going by times.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 11-16-2017 at 01:05 PM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #24
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
I can't say I've fully dialed it in yet, but I typically use 29-30 starting pressures.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
TSW 27 offset all around 19 x 11 19 X 12 305 30 19s Felt great for this event... Used my car and friends tires.. ran a 3mm spacer in front or could of just ground a tad on strut support.
They the RE71'sR felt pretty dam good I was no where near to there limit.. Only being 4th time to do this I did good I think. going by times.

So you ran 305 square on your ZL1 1LE? I'm seriously thinking of going this way since I cannot find a good auto-x tire (200TW) in 325. How did the rear end feel when you put on throttle? Did the RE71's slide/spin or were pretty glued to the surface?
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #26
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
So you ran 305 square on your ZL1 1LE? I'm seriously thinking of going this way since I cannot find a good auto-x tire (200TW) in 325. How did the rear end feel when you put on throttle? Did the RE71's slide/spin or were pretty glued to the surface?

EDFHOBBIES car is not a ZL1 1LE. He added the aero.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #27
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Are you sure about those offsets? Do you have the links of the wheels?

They don't really look like the 19x12 and 27 offset in the rear. My 19x11" with only 25mm offset pokes way more than those in the photos
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #28
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:

Your alignment guys are idiots. When you loosen top bolts on strut and sit car down it will go to full neg. camber. The bolt makes it to the other way. And if I remember correctly it's a 11mm bolt. The fine threads. Which ever they are. Lol
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote