Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-21-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Taking Off in 2nd Gear (M6), Pros and Cons?

How many of you consistently take off in 2nd gear?

As I have now become one with the machine in-terms of learning how to drive a manual smoothly , for the past week or so, I have been experimenting with taking off in 2nd gear compared to always doing it in 1st. So far, I have to say this has made my driving experience much more enjoyable. I now always do it unless it’s from a moderate to steep hill.

I never got the throw-you-in-the-back of your seat feeling in 1st gear ever since I started driving this car. Maybe I am doing it wrong but most times I find myself having to rev it quite a bit (>4000 rpm) in 1st to cover decent ground. I don’t have pro race driver shifting speed so by the time I shift into 2nd, I feel like everyone has passed me. The TR6060’s non-smoothness shifting from 1st to 2nd doesn’t help matters. I particularly don’t enjoy having to shift from 1st to 2nd when making a right or left through an intersection which I tend to do when taking off in 1st.

Taking off in 2nd so far has been a really fun experience. After smoothly engaging the clutch and releasing it, I get the throw-you-in-the-back of your seat feeling and in the blink of an eye, the car is already past 60mph.

Anyone else have similar experiences good or bad?

Also, any cons in taking off in 2nd gear besides slightly more clutch wear? Any engine lugging concerns?
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:13 PM   #2
eldersCAMARO
CamaroLove

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Shark Skin
what does the manual say about always using 2nd instead of 1st. Sounds like your going to destroy your trans on a new car.
eldersCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:39 PM   #3
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersCAMARO View Post
what does the manual say about always using 2nd instead of 1st. Sounds like your going to destroy your trans on a new car.
Not seeing anywhere in the manual where it says you should always start in first or never start in 2nd. If there is, please point me to it because maybe I missed it.

I am also not sure how you go from starting in 2nd gear to destroying your transmission. I understand there will be a little more clutch wear but how does this destroy the transmission?
Old 06-21-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
You’re driving it wrong (and missing some fun), if you’re not getting a kick in the pants in a 1LE. And, as you noted, you’ll be adding a little wear and tear to the clutch. Second gear starts are for ice and snow, because you get a little tire slip that helps save the clutch. So, from a stop, try easing off the clutch in first gear at idle, roll for a few feet, and then hit the gas. You’ll soon figure out how to get both feet working together for big fun.

Wait until you discover high-rpm, rev-matching downshifts: There’s nothing quite so orgasmic as the perfect 3-2 downshift!
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:44 PM   #5
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
Second gear starts puts more wear and tear on you clutch pressure plate because of slippage. Not worth it, learn to drive the manual transmission properly. Manual transmission V-8 Camaros have launch control and no lift shifting for the best acceleration.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:12 PM   #6
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
Second gear starts puts more wear and tear on you clutch pressure plate because of slippage. Not worth it, learn to drive the manual transmission properly. Manual transmission V-8 Camaros have launch control and no lift shifting for the best acceleration.

Agreed, The only time i might do something like that is a CA "rolling" stop.

However, I'd like to point out that I always come to a complete stop and proceed through the intersection in a "legal" fashion. - your honor....
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:03 AM   #7
Jc9767

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I feel the same way. First gear feels too short, second pulls like a freight train. But I would not start in second all the time, too much clutch wear. I think it has more to do with my driving and not wanting to rev too high in first while taking off. I will experiment with launch control to get the feeling of how high I should rev at takeoff.
Jc9767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:53 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
SOme of you refuse to carry RPM in first gear for some reason and then you get the 1>4 lockout, and a new set of complaints and expense to putting that skip shift eliminator which is completely unecessary. That or your just deserve the pain because you do in fact drive it that way.
Too, if you can't handle a 1-2 shift on a turn through an intersection I don't know what to tell you besides you need to get some seat time with someone that knows how to run a manual.
There's much to be learned about driving stick the clutch and moving the shifter is only one small part of it. I say that from driving manuals for 30 years, you just have a lot of learning to be done. Im being a bit harsh because how you're working it is not right let alone is there a damage factor in there somewhere.

2d gear starts are not advisable. As one person stated, it's useful on snow and that's it.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #9
eldersCAMARO
CamaroLove

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Shark Skin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
You’re driving it wrong (and missing some fun), if you’re not getting a kick in the pants in a 1LE. And, as you noted, you’ll be adding a little wear and tear to the clutch. Second gear starts are for ice and snow, because you get a little tire slip that helps save the clutch. So, from a stop, try easing off the clutch in first gear at idle, roll for a few feet, and then hit the gas. You’ll soon figure out how to get both feet working together for big fun.

Wait until you discover high-rpm, rev-matching downshifts: There’s nothing quite so orgasmic as the perfect 3-2 downshift!

This is the way. You don't need to provide this car any gas upon pulling out. Slowly and lightly just let out the clutch and it will start to roll without any gas. Eventually, you'll get the timing just right and be able to floor it in Mexico Safely.

Go to some large giant parking lot and practice. Watch some YouTube videos as well. If Chevy gets the idea you wore your Trans out of being a greenhorn they will refuse to honor the warranty.
eldersCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
weekend_cruiser

Interesting to hear the different takes. I know a couple of people from work with manuals who regularly do this. One with a Golf R and the other with a C7. The C7 guy rarely uses 1st gear. I thought this will be more common among V8 users but guess I was wrong.

But like I said, I am experimenting. No need to crucify a guy for asking some probing questions .
Old 06-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #11
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
There is plenty of torque in 2nd to take off, but the slipping of the clutch required to do take off from a stop will prematurely wear your clutch. It won't kill it immediately, but over time it will wear out faster than if you took off in 1st every time.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:14 AM   #12
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
There is plenty of torque in 2nd to take off, but the slipping of the clutch required to do take off from a stop will prematurely wear your clutch. It won't kill it immediately, but over time it will wear out faster than if you took off in 1st every time.

-Geoff
I completely get the extra clutch wear. I am however not clear on how this damages or wears out the transmission. Maybe someone can clarify that for me.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #13
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
If I don't come to a complete stop I will take off in second with my v6.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
I completely get the extra clutch wear. I am however not clear on how this damages or wears out the transmission. Maybe someone can clarify that for me.
Your transmission is basically like a lever and your car is a big rock you want to move. lower gears = longer lever
There's basically more stress on the gears if you start from 2nd.
I agree it is probably best to learn and master starting from 1st and going through the gears stepwise before you throw in any shortcuts.

"rolling" stops, yeah, not the same as dead stop. I use 2nd for that all the time.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote