Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #15
random155

Drives: None Yet
Having friend who works for Geico look into claims for the car. I definitely don't get a bad vibe from the guy I'm buying from. I agree that the car has not been loved. But it still have a really good chunk of powertrain warranty left so thats a great peace of mind. Im in a situation where my budget is very limited and I like fixing cosmetic problems. This car is right up my alley as long as everything is legit. I dont mind the fact if it was stolen and recovered or it was in a crash. It drives great and looks pretty good too. Any used car is an unknown, but warranties are a great thing.
random155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Sounds like you are doing your homework, including coming here and asking for advice. The one thing you have to look out for wrt the A8 is the torque converter shudder issue. If you are on this site long enough you may get the impression that every single A8 gets the shudder problem. Just like if you go on the Mustang forum, every 5.0 has the BBQ tick problem. Not necessarily so.

I have a 2017 2SS A8 with 17k miles on it. Never had the shudder. I imagine it is something that could still surface. If it does, there is a tech bulletin out on it and so the dealer will be able to refer to the tech bulletin to fix it. Sometimes the fix requires up to three fluid flushes. Sometimes the torque converter is replaced. I am not the least bit worried about transmission shudder.

If you take your car to a Chevy dealer, they should be able to look up the service and repair history, including if any work has been on the transmission or converter or anything else for that matter. If it has, keep the printout in the event the issue comes up again. It might be redundant with the CarFax, but it will, if necessary, provide documentation that the Chevrolet dealer network was aware of an issue and attempted to address it, should that issue come up again.

I’m assuming that you are aware that nothing in this thread is “official” until you post pictures of your new car.

Enjoy!!
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #17
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
From my point of view your buying a used car..... as always, buyer beware.
Also, I too wanted a manual m6, but have very little regret. The shudder only affects some, and has a good warranty.
But take a step back. You want a toy to play with. I was actually in the market for a 69 camaro, and after driving my 17, i frickin loved it. Still do...
My point is that for 20k you can get an awesome toy, and there are mods out the ying yang to make it fun for years to come.... not very many cars, this fun for that price...
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
random155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Sounds like you are doing your homework, including coming here and asking for advice. The one thing you have to look out for wrt the A8 is the torque converter shudder issue. If you are on this site long enough you may get the impression that every single A8 gets the shudder problem. Just like if you go on the Mustang forum, every 5.0 has the BBQ tick problem. Not necessarily so.

I have a 2017 2SS A8 with 17k miles on it. Never had the shudder. I imagine it is something that could still surface. If it does, there is a tech bulletin out on it and so the dealer will be able to refer to the tech bulletin to fix it. Sometimes the fix requires up to three fluid flushes. Sometimes the torque converter is replaced. I am not the least bit worried about transmission shudder.

If you take your car to a Chevy dealer, they should be able to look up the service and repair history, including if any work has been on the transmission or converter or anything else for that matter. If it has, keep the printout in the event the issue comes up again. It might be redundant with the CarFax, but it will, if necessary, provide documentation that the Chevrolet dealer network was aware of an issue and attempted to address it, should that issue come up again.

I’m assuming that you are aware that nothing in this thread is “official” until you post pictures of your new car.

Enjoy!!
Thank You. As soon as I close the deal I'll put some pics up!!! Dont want to jinx it.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #19
random155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
From my point of view your buying a used car..... as always, buyer beware.
Also, I too wanted a manual m6, but have very little regret. The shudder only affects some, and has a good warranty.
But take a step back. You want a toy to play with. I was actually in the market for a 69 camaro, and after driving my 17, i frickin loved it. Still do...
My point is that for 20k you can get an awesome toy, and there are mods out the ying yang to make it fun for years to come.... not very many cars, this fun for that price...
We think a like. Too good of a deal to pass up just based on transmission type. I dont really prefer one over the other. Sometimes when I have a manual I want an auto and sometimes when I have an auto I want a manual. That's life... at least with the auto I can get a semi manual feeling with paddles. Cannot even resemble anything auto with a manual.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #20
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
M A8, with 2,000 miles has no shudder. I wonder how many have been modded that shudders. Good luck, making the best deal. I haven't drove a manual in decades, don't miss it a bit. Traffic is a big factor tho as others have said. Also cold knuckes in A/C weather on 6th gens.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If it was me I wouldn’t buy the car but you seem to have done your research so if you are comfortable buying it then I say go for it! Good luck!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #22
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

It could very well surface as it did for a huge majority who have a A8 on these forums. Just like i thought it wouldn't happen to mine it did. Maybe not worry now but later or if it arises you will...

A8 = Shudder shit problems with no permanent fix till who the hell knows, they say 1st quarter 19' . I have a 2016 15,800 miles, Can't wait till the lease is over and i am not driving over speed shuddering bumps anymore (near 50mph or so its pretty bad)... 3 flushes plus converter replacement with shudder still coming back in full force. GM made a big mistake and will pay in the end for it.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #23
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by random155 View Post
Hi, new member here. Long time mustang owner and admirer, but recently started noticing the awesomeness of the 6.2L camaro ss. I have a 2016 2SS lined up to buy. I have two issues I need your feedback on. The first, it's automatic. I dont have anything against auto's but I was really looking for manual. With that being said, I was also thinking I might get tired of rowing gears after a while, and not want to take the car out if I'm feeling lazy. Anyone with auto wish they went manual or vice versa? Second, the carfax has a theft report on it. Basically, a previous owner had the car repo'd. Someone stole the tags off of the car and started blasting through a thoursand dollars of tolls. The owner didnt want to get anymore bills so he reported the whole damn car stolen. Obvious it wasnt stolen, it was repo'd, but its still on the carfax. This is not a daily driver for me, it is a weekend fun toy around car. Here's the kicker, I can have this car for 20k, clear title (34k miles). I think that the price is great and will still have a great time with it, even though its not manual. But, down the line if I decide I want the manual, I might have an issue selling because of the theft reported on carfax. Input?????
Unless you have aches or pains in the knees or elbows, I doubt if you get tired of rowing gears, its part of the fun of these types of cars.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #24
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff37 View Post
I was always told, "If you think you'll ever want to drive a manual, then get a manual. You'll wish you got one more than you'll be disappointed you did." and I think that holds true. There have been a few times in traffic that I wished I had an Auto, but way more times that I was glad I got one.

Mine is a DD, and I've never regretted it, so as a weekend car I can't see why you wouldn't get one if you ever even had a thought that you might want it.

Good luck finding one!
Mine is also a DD, I too live in a high traffic area. I just hate traffic in general. If I had an Auto I would hate it just as bad as driving a stick. So if I go somewhere I will sometimes go out of my way to avoid traffic even if it adds to my travel time.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #25
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with you Mack Steel about shifting gears in these cars!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #26
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
The first, it's automatic. I dont have anything against auto's but I was really looking for manual. With that being said, I was also thinking I might get tired of rowing gears after a while, and not want to take the car out if I'm feeling lazy. Anyone with auto wish they went manual or vice versa
I think you are under a spell because its a good price, and you're letting that cloud your judgement around what transmission you want. I think you'll regret not getting the manual, since literally the first thing you said in this thread is "I want a manual."
I got an A8 when I should have got a manual, and was forced to eat a year of depreciation cost because of it. Like I said before, I feel strongly that you should save your money and scan for a certified pre-owned 1SS M6. As you said, what are you going to do in 1-2 years when you figure out you should've got a manual, and you want to sell? It'll be a huge hassle and you won't get all of your 20k back.

Last edited by protovack; 12-10-2018 at 11:07 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 PM   #27
2 Sweet
Oozing Machismo

Drives: '89 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I think you are under a spell because its a good price, and you're letting that cloud your judgement around what transmission you want. I think you'll regret not getting the manual, since literally the first thing you said in this thread is "I want a manual."

I got an A8 when I should have got a manual, and was forced to eat a year of depreciation cost because of it. Like I said before, I feel strongly that you should save your money and scan for a certified pre-owned 1SS M6. As you said, what are you going to do in 1-2 years when you figure out you should've got a manual, and you want to sell? It'll be a huge hassle and you won't get all of your 20k back.
Exactly. Well said.
2 Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #28
random155

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Thank you for your feedback. To some extent you are correct about the price situation. I dont think I explained myself very well in my original post. What I meant about "I was really looking for a manual" was that I had not even considered the automatic, but wasn't opposed to it. To put numbers to it, I was 75% interested in manual and 25% in auto, if that makes sense. I drove a manual and an auto. I like both. I am nervous that I will actually drive the manual less because at times I just wont feel like going through gears in the high traffic area I live in. And after driving both, the power and sound that comes from these cars is exciting no matter what transmission you ride. So long story short, I wasnt opposed to the manual, I just didn't really consider it. Then I drove it and was very impressed. There will be points that I wish I had a manual, but I definitely know that if I buy a manual, there will be more times I wished it was an automatic.

About buying the 1SS. I really like the features of the 2SS, and that is something I'm not interested in negotiating with. I really want leather (heated and cooled), HUD and Bose system. And to be quite frank, we are talking about the area of $10k in price difference between this 2SS and almost ALL others currently on the market because of Carfax issues. Money is a big issue for me, and at the price I'm buying I'm very happy to drive the A8. Ive confirmed with all police departments that this vehicle was never stolen, just the license plates after it was repossessed. So all reports will be going to Carfax to have the theft removed from the report. I still think that if I decide in a year or two that I made a mistake about the transmission, I should have no problem selling for what I owe on the car.