Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #29
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I have a internal source that says the current generation of V8 powered cars will be the last V8 powerplants for GM. They have a larger V8 underdevelopment for the trucks, but there is no current development on any other V8 powerplants. Focus for the Camaro is V6TT & Hybrid
Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #30
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
It’s the end of Camaro.
Ditto!
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #31
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Best of luck to Al in his new position. He will certainly be missed.

On a brighter note; It sounds like Mark has worked closely with the Camaro team in the past. He is a former racer and I see (in my humble opinion) his work in the past with performance variance and motorsports engineering as a plus. His work with the ZR2 and ZR2 Bison is impressive.

I hate to see Al go, but I am encouraged by GM's appointment of Mark Dickens.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #32
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
It’s the end of Camaro.
It could be, but I sure hope not.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #33
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Well, I guess that’s the final nail in the coffin for a 6th gen Z/28.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #34

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
According to AutoGuide, a four cylinder engine option will not find its way under the hood of the next Camaro, at least not if Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser has anything to do with it.
“We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/11/...#ixzz5Z1fQBYm9

Ah, the good old days...lol...I guess they had to show him who was the boss then and now....Al should start looking for a residence in China or Mexico...Odds are they sure as hell won't build any of his new cars in the US....Maybe Al can get the old discontinued Volt team to help him out...Years and years of Volts that went bust....Yeah, they need to start thinking electric....Good timing, better late than never....lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #35
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I have a internal source that says the current generation of V8 powered cars will be the last V8 powerplants for GM. They have a larger V8 underdevelopment for the trucks, but there is no current development on any other V8 powerplants. Focus for the Camaro is V6TT & Hybrid
All that means is that after the 4.2TT for Cadillac, there are likely to be no more new “clean sheet of paper” V8 engines. It does not mean that there will not be improvements to the engines already in the portfolio. To misquote Monty Python, “the V8 is not quite dead yet”....
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #36
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Some pretty salty people in this thread that seem to think the words "electric" & "sports car" don't go together lol I understand the love of V8 rumble (as I too love that shit!!!) but spoiler alert electric is the future (at least the near future), and YES you can have an electric sports car that performs well and is a blast to drive!

I view this move as a GOOD ONE, if what Al is quoted saying about "the final variant of the 6th gen" is true, then quite simply his work here is done. Al was all about performance for the 5th and 6th gen so I have no doubt that it will be the #1 focus of the new electric project with him at the helm so that is good news to me and should be for everyone that likes Chevy & performance cars. Some will make the argument that "oh you can't have a muscle car that's electric!!!" Well guess what... the Camaro isn't a muscle car anymore!!! And believe me when I say that the 7th gen will DEFINITELY have some sort of electrification in the lineup.

We need to stop proclaiming that all is lost with every reveal/announcement! Things change, trends come and go, the industry must evolve it's the cycle of things and it's quite apparent to me that where we are right now is the transition to a new cycle with GM (not just Chevy, and really the entire industry), it's apparent in styling, tech, strategies, etc... and just because things are changing doesn't mean they are BAD!!!

If you don't like what they are doing this year or next year just enjoy your current ride/rides and give it some time, either they will come around to recognize their mistakes or (the more likely version) you will realize they weren't really "mistakes" after all.

I'm probably gonna get some heat for this lol this should be fun
Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #37
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I am looking at the picture of the Camaro behind Al and if you look on the hood zoom in, you'll see 427. They did say something in the article about this is the last car of this generation. The car also has Hoosiers tires on the front. Could this be a new 6th generation Z28?
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #38

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'll bet Al just can't contain his excitement about getting behind the wheel...er,uh, getting inside this thing! ....lol

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Some pretty salty people in this thread that seem to think the words "electric" & "sports car" don't go together lol I understand the love of V8 rumble (as I too love that shit!!!) but spoiler alert electric is the future (at least the near future), and YES you can have an electric sports car that performs well and is a blast to drive!

I view this move as a GOOD ONE, if what Al is quoted saying about "the final variant of the 6th gen" is true, then quite simply his work here is done. Al was all about performance for the 5th and 6th gen so I have no doubt that it will be the #1 focus of the new electric project with him at the helm so that is good news to me and should be for everyone that likes Chevy & performance cars. Some will make the argument that "oh you can't have a muscle car that's electric!!!" Well guess what... the Camaro isn't a muscle car anymore!!! And believe me when I say that the 7th gen will DEFINITELY have some sort of electrification in the lineup.

We need to stop proclaiming that all is lost with every reveal/announcement! Things change, trends come and go, the industry must evolve it's the cycle of things and it's quite apparent to me that where we are right now is the transition to a new cycle with GM (not just Chevy, and really the entire industry), it's apparent in styling, tech, strategies, etc... and just because things are changing doesn't mean they are BAD!!!

If you don't like what they are doing this year or next year just enjoy your current ride/rides and give it some time, either they will come around to recognize their mistakes or (the more likely version) you will realize they weren't really "mistakes" after all.

I'm probably gonna get some heat for this lol this should be fun
(<--sincere, not sarcastic)
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #40
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
I am looking at the picture of the Camaro behind Al and if you look on the hood zoom in, you'll see 427. They did say something in the article about this is the last car of this generation. The car also has Hoosiers tires on the front. Could this be a new 6th generation Z28?
Nope. Probably a stock photo of a SEMA build or something like that.

***EDIT*** BukeyeROC for the win!

Old 12-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #41
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
According to AutoGuide, a four cylinder engine option will not find its way under the hood of the next Camaro, at least not if Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser has anything to do with it.
“We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/11/...#ixzz5Z1fQBYm9

Ah, the good old days...lol...I guess they had to show him who was the boss then and now....Al should start looking for a residence in China or Mexico...Odds are they sure as hell won't build any of his new cars in the US....Maybe Al can get the old discontinued Volt team to help him out...Years and years of Volts that went bust....Yeah, they need to start thinking electric....Good timing, better late than never....lol...
Corporate Product Planning trumps Vehicle Line Executive almost every time.....almost. In 2013 when Al said that, GM was in denial about the downsized-boosting phenomenon. The idea of a high volume 120 hp/liter 4-cylinder was a foreign concept (actually, it literally was a foreign concept). Things change.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #42
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
They better not go after Becky or s**t's going to hit the fan.