Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #127
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
From Al..

I would like to share this post with everyone from Camaro Nation, as well as all of my friends and family. It has truly been very humbling to see the outpouring of well wishes and thanks from everyone on my announcement. I have always considered myself a lucky and blessed man to have been able to do what I have done for General Motors. Many of you know I have always been a Camaro guy, way back to my first car, my '70 1/2. Many of you have heard my story of being in the very room in March 2005, when our leadership decided it was time to bring the Camaro back as a concept car at the 2006 NAIAS. I was in charge of concept vehicles at that time, and we built the legendary running concept car. Since that moment, I have always tried to guide our amazing team to remember what Pete Estes said when they announced the new Camaro back in 1966 "The real mission of the Camaro is to be a close companion to its owner, tailored to reflect his or her individual tastes, and at the same time provide exciting personal transportation". I believe our Camaro team has done that successfully with both the 5th Gen and 6th Gen Camaro. I have traveled literally around the world for this car, and have met so many wonderful Camaro owners, whom I refer to as my Camaro family, or Camaro Nation. You have all taken me and my team in for a closer look at what you have done with our car to personalize it, to make it your own. That is my favorite moment, when we have bonded as a Camaro family. This last week has definitely been an emotional one for me, with a lot of ups and downs. I will spend some time with you over a few laughs, a few tears, rest up over the holidays, but then I am going to come back in January in my new role, swinging harder than ever. As far as the Camaro? We aren't done yet. The best performance team in the business has more to show you, as you will see in the near future. The best thing you can do is continue to spread the word on what a great car it is, continue to grow Camaro Nation, and continue to support the Camaro team. With regard to my new role, I am honored and proud that I am part of GM's vision for the future, and my contributions are recognized as necessary to help get there, and forever grateful to our visionary leaders Mary Barra and Mark Reuss for my opportunities past and future. I'm proud to say #IworkforGM.
So Al, if you and your team put some much effort into building a great car, why did Chevy then drop the ball by not advertising with effective in your face badazz Camaro commercial ads that no one could miss? You built a great car and hid them on dealers back lots. GM has failed advertising 101 with a grade of F-.

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 12-11-2018 at 02:52 PM.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #128
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I may never buy a new car again. This whole electric thing sucks. Seriously.

I knew eventually I’d be buying a couple cars at Barrett-Jackson or Mecum but I never dreamed it would also be for my every day driver.

Actually they do both have nice every day drivers go up, you just have go low mileage because I’ll never trust a car owned by someone before me.
If for some reason I was forced to buy electric because of lack of gas I would buy used not new, because it would truly be just a utility appliance.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #129
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
So Al, if you and your team put some much effort into building a great car, why did you then drop the ball by not advertising with effective in your face badazz Camaro commercial ads that no one could miss? You built a great car and hid them on dealers back lots. GM has failed advertising 101 with a grade of F-.
Al and his Warren, Michigan based team are not responsible for deciding if, what, when, where, or how to advertise. That would be the responsibility of the Detroit-based Chevrolet Marketing team, with some oversight from the broader GM Marketing team. Blaming Al for not advertising would be like blaming the Detroit Red Wings coach for the Detroit Tigers missing the playoffs, since they are owned by the same people.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #130
flaps100

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 RS
I may be nuts, but I don't understand why everyone is pushing EV down our throats, I read that the way they make the batteries is bad for the Earth, the old dead batteries are bad for the earth, they can and have blown up in peoples garages, the cost to charge said EV vehicle will raise your Electric Bill like there is no tomorrow, the car when they get in an accident burn like nothing else and are hard to stop the burning, the material they use to make the batteries that comes out of the earth is not in good supply, other than Emissions, and they can easily keep improving that on a Gas engine as they continually do, what is the benefit, I don't get it. Where does anyone gain from EV ?? over Gas ??
flaps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #131

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'd say for now, you can't blame any lack of advertising for anything. The Camaro has not been discontinued. I wouldn't see the point now of advertising it anyways. Perhaps for a 7thGen and after they dump the Real People not Actors campaign, we might see some new ads.

They want to spend their advertisement dollars and promote electric in the near future, I would think.

The Camaro's current survival is so far a miracle and gives some hope for a 7th Gen. They've sold a lot more soon to be discontinued Impalas and Cruzes than they have Camaros.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #132
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps100 View Post
I may be nuts, but I don't understand why everyone is pushing EV down our throats, I read that the way they make the batteries is bad for the Earth, the old dead batteries are bad for the earth, they can and have blown up in peoples garages, the cost to charge said EV vehicle will raise your Electric Bill like there is no tomorrow, the car when they get in an accident burn like nothing else and are hard to stop the burning, the material they use to make the batteries that comes out of the earth is not in good supply, other than Emissions, and they can easily keep improving that on a Gas engine as they continually do, what is the benefit, I don't get it. Where does anyone gain from EV ?? over Gas ??
Virtue signalling and the cult of anthropomorphic climate change.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #133
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
And I have zero interest in it because it doesn’t make noise and there’s no gears to shift.

From my perspective it might as well be a ‘89 Buick LeSabre
You can have the 89 Buick, I'll take the 72' Buick Riviera.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #134
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
A lot of EV talk in this thread so I'll add something on that. When I was younger nitro R/C cars were well sought after because they were fast, sounded cool and you could drive them for 3 times longer then the battery equivalent car/truck. Now with lithium batteries and amazing brushless motors the electric cars are NUTS! They have insane torque, rpm and can be driven wide open for a super long time. The troubles of tuning and adjusting the carb (constantly) are long gone, plug a charged battery in and pull the trigger.

I know that has nothing to do with automobiles but I think it will scale similar to high performance ev vehicles. I agree theres no replacing the sound of a badass V8 but there is nothing like the instant torque of an electric motor.

Im not going to trade in my car just yet but Im also not afraid of a electric sports car
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #135
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps100 View Post
I can find reams of detailed information that says there is no way possible that there is enough lithium to make batteries for all the EVs that want to be produced. I can find reams of detailed information that says lithium supply is more than suitable for making enough batteries for all the EVs that want to be produced. It all comes down to who you want to believe.

As for electric bills skyrocketing? We've had a Level 2 charger in my garage on a separate meter since my wife got her first Chevrolet Volt in late 2011. Costs us about $40 a month. Gasoline for a similar sized car would be much more than $40 a month.

"Dead" batteries are repurposed by energy companies for off-cycle storage. The batteries are designed to use only a portion of their actual capacity, so when they reach a point where they are no longer sufficient for in-vehicle use, they are more than suitable for energy capture and storage. There are also businesses popping up that are specializing in battery pack re-manufacturing, where they take used battery packs, identify the "worn" cells and replace them with fresh cells to create a remanufactured battery pack. Sounds easier than it is, but it's similar principle to engine remanufacturing or transmission remanufacturing.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #136
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

'72 Riv. I'm sooo jealous. Missed out on one last year by a day or two.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #137
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Maybe I wasn’t clear. My point to that comparison is I don’t want a car that doesn’t make noise and you can’t shift or at least feel the shifts.

Of course I’d take a ‘72 - really my favorite is the ‘67 - Riv over an ‘89 LeSabre...... that actually IS my point!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #138
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I think Gen 7 is coming in 2021!
LGR is running one shift at 33% capacity utilization. This is a death knell in the current environment. Big Al won’t say it but he’s abandoned a sinking ship for the future because, as much as he loves Camaro, he likes having a job even better.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #139
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
LGR is running one shift at 33% capacity utilization. This is a death knell in the current environment. Big Al won’t say it but he’s abandoned a sinking ship for the future because, as much as he loves Camaro, he likes having a job even better.
I saw this article recently that states they are running two shifts.

IMO, it comes down to whether GM wants to keep the CTx to compete in the sport coupe/sedan segment. Camaro provides volume to support that goal.
Quote:
General Motors Assembly Plants In Lansing Are Underutilized

BY ANTHONY ALANIZ— NOV 30, 2018

Then there’s the Lansing Grand River Assembly that builds the Chevrolet Camaro, the Cadillac CTS, and the Cadillac ATS. Despite nonstop praise for their ride and handling characteristics, all three Alpha Platform vehicles have seen troubling sales. The Lansing Grand River plant is operating with two shifts on the assembly line and three shifts in stamping, employing over 1,800 people. Like the Lansing Delta plant, the LGR plant needs to run with another shift for optimum efficiency, but that doesn’t appear to be on the horizon.

At the end of the day, General Motors is looking at its bottom line, and poor sedan sales are not sustainable. While Lansing Delta Township Assembly’s future feels secure, it’s hard not to feel nervous for Lansing Grand River Assembly employees. GM said Lansing area workers wouldn’t be affected by the cuts; however, analysts are forecasting additional layoffs and cutbacks in 2019.

We’re just speculating, but the Lansing Grand River plant could receive next-generation Cadillac sedans and a seventh-generation Camaro as product allocations, but if the market demand continues to shift towards crossovers and SUVs, and if total new car sales for the industry continue to contract, that could signal a doom for the facility. Something else, something with minimal added complexity and a high demand market forecast, needs to be built there.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...#ixzz5ZQPvzGhK

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #140
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I saw this article recently that states they are running two shifts.

IMO, it comes down to whether GM wants to keep the CTx to compete in the sport coupe/sedan segment. Camaro provides volume to support that goal.
Going to one shift if they haven’t already. That’s been announced. Running two sifts at 33% is a big money losing opportunity.