Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #29
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Ok now I’m confused. So I have the V6 3.6L RS 2LT. That was the intake manifold I was referring too, it says LT1... is the V6 not LT1!?? Because if not then how come when we get the VMAX TB it’s LT1.....

Yea I will definetly go that route since I rather install it and now know that the flash/tune is free! Can’t wait.

How efficient is washing the filters though?.. I feel like that has so many potential downsides. Also is open CAI any more efficient over a closed CAI?? It’s gonna get so much more dirty and with engine heat all around it being sucked in, I just don’t see how that’s effective, wish it had a cover.

Yea even if the engine does die then that means just replace it with a V8 and keep it goin
Funny thing, so many guys that are new to Camaros (on the forum it's especially obvious) end up claiming they have an "LS1" or "LT1" Camaro, instead of a 1LS or 1LT. The number placement matters. You have an LGX V6. My engine is the LFX V6. We both have 2LT Camaros. An LT2 engine doesn't exist currently.

I've had the K&N Typhoon intake on my car for over 95k miles, washed the filter maybe every 30k. Don't over oil it, clean your MAF anyway, and you're good to go. Also, a cold air intake is more of a misnomer since it's so general - it's just about volume. Any aftermarket cold air intake will increase the volume of air you can get into the engine. Closed vs open is debatable, I don't know if you guys have any air scoop options like we did with the Apex air scoop, but it let the intake breathe from the front of the grille, around the radiator, at which point closed vs open intake is almost 100% moot.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #30
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Funny thing, so many guys that are new to Camaros (on the forum it's especially obvious) end up claiming they have an "LS1" or "LT1" Camaro, instead of a 1LS or 1LT. The number placement matters. You have an LGX V6. My engine is the LFX V6. We both have 2LT Camaros. An LT2 engine doesn't exist currently.

I've had the K&N Typhoon intake on my car for over 95k miles, washed the filter maybe every 30k. Don't over oil it, clean your MAF anyway, and you're good to go. Also, a cold air intake is more of a misnomer since it's so general - it's just about volume. Any aftermarket cold air intake will increase the volume of air you can get into the engine. Closed vs open is debatable, I don't know if you guys have any air scoop options like we did with the Apex air scoop, but it let the intake breathe from the front of the grille, around the radiator, at which point closed vs open intake is almost 100% moot.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #31
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Ok thanks for the clarification.

But if that’s the case, then VMAX doesn’t have TB for LGX?..
http://vmaxmotorsports.com/?page_id=39

The washing clothes analogy also means that the filter will break down per wash and deteriorate..that can’t be safe or good over time.

Wish they sold an optional cover for the GM CAI. Seeing what all makes it inside a closed one can’t imagine how much stuff will be in an open one.

Haha hey one day they’ll probably have V6 to V8 swap tutorials. The right shop could prob do it fairly simple as well as long as it’s tuned. But at the rate I drive it should be able to get 1-2 decades out of it if inagine before the engine goes which I can’t see happening before half a million..
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #32
NY Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post

I had a misunderstanding. I got half the number of posts you do; clearly not new. So you’re saying you have LFX (old gen I’m assuming) and mine is LGX, yet VMAX doesn’t have LGX...hmm. Was wondering why it said LFX I assumed it mighta been a typo in their part.

Yea it may be about volume, but tuneless does neither any good.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #33
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Ok thanks for the clarification.

But if that’s the case, then VMAX doesn’t have TB for LGX?..
http://vmaxmotorsports.com/?page_id=39
Quote:
Yea Pete is pretty cool talked to him today, gonna decide in a couple days what I'm gonna do.

Umm didnt you already say you called him and talked to pete? Obviously they do have one. I had the first one.

You good? You smokin them funny cigarettes?

If you talked to him then you know they have em for the lgx.

Quote:
The washing clothes analogy also means that the filter will break down per wash and deteriorate..that can’t be safe or good over time.
If you clean a filter every 30,000 miles... how often is that? For me thats about 1 time per year. For some thats once every 2 years.

When you wash clothes its prob once a week or every other week. Right?

So this would mean the frequency isnt the same, but in common sense, you dont wash ypur clothes one time and throw them out. They last a few years of being washed weekly or every other week.

You dont wash a filter that frequent.

Theres a reason k&n filters which come with a MILLION MILE WARRANTY (which means how long they are garunteed to last)

How long is it gonna take you to get to 1 million miles if you only drive 30,000 per year? If you even drive that much in a year. I just know thats 1 year of driving for me minimal.

Sometimes you just gotta put a lil common sense to things. Think about it, itll come to you.

Quote:
Wish they sold an optional cover for the GM CAI. Seeing what all makes it inside a closed one can’t imagine how much stuff will be in an open one.
You can buy an aftermarket one. Though, not really needed. Ive had the intake on my car since last year. Easily a few months now. I daily drive 60 miles round trip and hours of driving most every weekend. Thru snow, salt dust, backroads, etc. Theres not really anything more or less that would ve in any other intake stock or aftermarket.

Sounds like you are in a panic over nothing really.

Quote:
Haha hey one day they’ll probably have V6 to V8 swap tutorials. The right shop could prob do it fairly simple as well as long as it’s tuned. But at the rate I drive it should be able to get 1-2 decades out of it if inagine before the engine goes which I can’t see happening before half a million..
Good luck on that. Most will tell you to trade in one and get what you want/need.

Unless you have the smarts and ability to do so, most shops will charge an arm and a leg to do that tyoe of work. Swapping in the same engine (just the engine) most places are charging 5,000-7,000$.

To do a swap with rewiring most of the entire car, new dash, new instrument cluster, new transmission as the ss uses the 8l90, not the 8l45....new diff and axles.

Wishful thinking, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #34
NY Andrew

When I called and talked to him I said LT1 under the assumption that was the V6 version...I’ll have to call back and see if he has LGX version..But according to the link it doesn’t say LGX is available..

There’s an aftermarket cover for GM CAI?

Unfortunately when that trade in comes the car will be worth pennies. “Retains it’s value” my ass, consumer reports rated way back. I know everything depreciates not worried about that, it’s already 20k less than when I bought it; so trading in would never be an option at that point down the road hah. And we’ll if that’s how much it costs decade down the road I’d go that route before spending 5 times that on a new vehicle. Depends if I go the supercharger route before then or not because they’re about the same cost.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #35
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Haha hey one day they’ll probably have V6 to V8 swap tutorials. The right shop could prob do it fairly simple as well as long as it’s tuned.
With the right knowledge, and skill, anything is possible. However, there is also a cost to each of those possibilities. If you look at the cost of purchasing the V8 engine, the new transmission, and all of the other necessary accesories, to make it work, you'd be into the swap significantly more than the difference in cost between a V6 and a V8. If you start looking at the amount of other systems that are integrated into the ECU, such as the stereo head unit, and the amount of re-wiring to actually make a V8 function in your car, it should be painfully obvious that the V6 to V6 swap would be a foolish idea.

Even going forced induction on my V6, appears to be almost a losing battle. I could have gotten a 1SS V8 for about 5k over what I paid for my 1LS/1LE. The Overkill supercharger kit would run me at least another 2k over that, and that doesn't include getting a custom tune.

Ultimately, it's your car and your money, so whatever you decide to throw your money at, is entirely up to you. Just realize the limitations, that there are limits to what you can accomplish with this car, and there are various costs to each of those options. It is up to you to do the research and decide which of those options are worth the cost. The amount of knowledge on this forum is priceless, but there are also others who sure talk a good game, but don't know their head from their rectum. Again, do your research, and don't just take everyone's word, without checking that they actually know what they are talking about.

Good luck with your journey and I hope you take advantage of the incredible resources here on this forum.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #36
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
When I called and talked to him I said LT1 under the assumption that was the V6 version...I’ll have to call back and see if he has LGX version..But according to the link it doesn’t say LGX is available..

There’s an aftermarket cover for GM CAI?

Unfortunately when that trade in comes the car will be worth pennies. “Retains it’s value” my ass, consumer reports rated way back. I know everything depreciates not worried about that, it’s already 20k less than when I bought it; so trading in would never be an option at that point down the road hah. And we’ll if that’s how much it costs decade down the road I’d go that route before spending 5 times that on a new vehicle. Depends if I go the supercharger route before then or not because they’re about the same cost.
Well out of logic on this one... ive stated like 5 times, they port them. I actually have the product. Chez, who posted earlier does as well.

According to my members journal on here i installed it june 29th of 2016. So just about 5 months shy of 2 YEARS now
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...79&postcount=2

The prices on the engine are subect to change, but those were the prices ive gathered on replacing a blown engine with a v6.

Most v8 and transmission combos are currently on ebay for 10,000-14,000$ in good condition. The engine alone is right about 7 grand https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=...ngine&_sacat=0

As said labor for reprogramming and wiring is gonna be your biggest unicorn. Physically we know it mechanically fits. Finding a place that will do it for a decent price is the deal.

Air filter covers are universal. You measure your filter and buy the cover you need http://www.outerwearsracing.com/products.asp

Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #37
NY Andrew

I know they port them just don’t get why he doesn’t advertise LGX on his website. I’m sure when I talk to him he’d do it, as many of you already have, just weird why it isn’t stated on his website.

Found SS 16 engine for 15K as of now but of course it’d be way cheaper down the road. But yea I’m not worried about this any time soon just was throwing it out there it’s either that route or supercharger not sure yet as there isn’t any place to work on a supercharger around here I’d have to travel a good 5 states to get it even installed.

And hah oh wow didn’t even know about air filter covers like that, I was alluding to a cover for the CAI to fully enclose it, not air filter sleeve like that, although that is nifty.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #38
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of the open top intake boxes make a seal with the hood when it is down, essentially making them closed boxes?
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of the open top intake boxes make a seal with the hood when it is down, essentially making them closed boxes?
Yup...absolutely 100%

Old 01-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #40
NY Andrew

I’ve never owned one but if that’s the case that’s sweet. Didn’t think it would get that close to each other in order to create a seal.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #41
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
I’ve never owned one but if that’s the case that’s sweet. Didn’t think it would get that close to each other in order to create a seal.
It does...indeed. thats why theres rubber at the top. To seal to the underside of the hood. Already mentioned its the same on the z28 from 2015. Also the same as rotofab. Nothing new.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #42
NY Andrew

Wow. Gotcha. Thanks man.

Side note since I just thought of this because the CAI location; where exactly is the V6 sound tube location. Tried to find it in the forums but no location. I think it’s the puck looking thing but not sure.

Tags
cold air intake, throttle body