Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Now THAT was the exact answer I was hoping for! Constructive criticism and all haha thanks so much bro!!!

I know there wouldn’t be ONE best or then none others would exist, I agree with you.

Real good info about the TB!! Much smoother sounding than I initially thought, can’t wait!

Yea as far as exhaust goes I guesstimated exact same as you without a tune. Plus my K&N maybe lookin around 350 crank HP who knows I’ll dyno in a couple years once I’m done modding, fun to just guess sometimes. But the CAI wouldn’t improve exhaust tone? I would almost think it would because air flow being increased.

I read the CA emission thing on this forum hah. “Can’t believe everything you find on the internet”.

Thanks for the detailed response again, really helping draw the overall picture.
notta prob, uce

and its true, sometimes you cant believe everything. many times, you'll have to just go out and test it. that's where I've been personally with mods lately.

on the intake improving exhaust tone....yes. more air in = more air out. more air in usually means more fuel as well, and a slightly larger "bang" in the "suck, squish, bang, blow" segment of how an engine works. so in short, it'll make the sound.....fuller... is a way i'd describe it...

also on the intake, in the tests I have done before and after with both of them, the one thing I've noted since the reflash with the gm intake. both at different tracks, from 39-60 degrees... even running my fastest last year, i'm getting wheel spin off the line now. this year coming, I plan to see if addressing traction and suspension I can turn some of the lost power into time. that was honestly a factor in the switch to the gm setup.

the emissions thing is the tune originally was more so 49 state legal. they may have added Cali as another recipient to get it tuned recently, but initially, it wasn't "Cali-legal" to have the intake/or no Cali dealers were supposed to install it/reflash it. but plenty of people in Cali have added the intake, and done their own tunes. always ways around things. I believe ghosteye07 (on the lethal garage series) added the intake, and then added e85, and got a tune by Cunningham motorsports. but you being the next state over from me, no worries with any of that.

one thing I def have to say, it was suggested to port your own TB.... i'm gonna err on the side of logic and say, if just have you go this route...get a spare one. if not, the price of a new TB is basically the cost to have yours CNC ported by Vmax. I personally prefer a well known hand porter or a CNC porting. my main reasons is those that will do so...will probably do some sort of flow bench testing. or have already done so if on a CNC lathe/mill.

Porting of any engine parts, be it heads, manifolds, throttle bodies...its not just removing material just to remove material. there's an art form/way to do it right and easy ways to screw it up, in the worst, or to ZERO gains in the least.

reason I say this, is some will port stuff... no testing before or after. I dunno about anyone else, but the WTF flag comes out for me when I see that. with no legit way of seeing if you increased, or even DECREASED the CFM on the TB... I would err staying away from doing so especially just starting out. all anyone needs is to accidentally stuff up their stock TB in some area, that either throws a code, or hampers the drivability of it.

There's an honest reason many of us are still waiting for a ported intake manifold 2 years later since the v6 6th gen has come out. if it was as easy as some make it out to be, and to actually get gains from it...EVERYONE would do it (Logic). theres been one ported manifold, which a member here on this forum has. it flows 21% better than stock and they felt the gains upon install. it was flow tested before and after. so we know these work, and even with spare manifolds being cheap at 130$ its not widespread because it takes time, to fill and port it correctly. when you look at the v8 offerings, heads, tbs, manifolds.... people charge 600-800$ for cylinder heads if not more. TB's are about the same as ours 150-200$. and intake manifolds can be around 150-300+ depending on which manifold. its not just the fast guys are taking dremels/rotary tools to their stock heads and "making gainz". many have the proper tools to do it, but if you aren't checking for before and after CFMs... or some sort of data via testing... yea....

point being, its not something you just go in there with a dremel and remove material. you aren't looking to enlarge a hole to fit a slightly larger bolt. enlarging anything for the sake of it, is easy to do that, and add turbulence, or decrease velocity, both of which I've seen done.... among killing overall CFM gains or even affecting idle. it happens.

So if you DO decide to DIY....try to get a shop to do flow bench testing BEFORE and AFTER (Locally, I've been going to AHM Performance...engine building shop, that I ported my first set of heads on a 2.2 OHV Build back in the early 2000's, for years. Chris usually can squeeze me in within a week. I even got around to making my own TB blade and ported a LN2 2.2OHV tb to go from 52 to 58 or 59mm), to see if what you did actually gained anything. if you go dremel up a TB and only gain 3-5 cfm... its like, meh whats the point?

further, the 6th gen TB compared to the 5th gen, the wall is thinner, and two major companies, and I think JACFAB also had issues with the TB lip cracking from removing a bit too much, which was ok on the prev gen TB. there was more meat. that was the major wait in the beginning why we didn't have them available soon enough. you have to remove enough material in the right location at the right radius to increase velocity via the venturi effect, since you wouldn't be enlarging the TB blade or opening area. not making it bottle neck.

overall, as said above, a spare TB is something I would invest in if you plan to DIY. and for the price of most used TB's you could just get a ported one and know its done right. your call I'm not against using a dremel, especially on something small like a TB. I just wouldn't tell someone who's starting out to pop it off and have at it. mod smart, mod once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Polynesian Is right about vmax the guys is fantastic he will give you a realistic turn around time as well..

If you do go with the GM CAI I am sure they have fixed this issue as well but make sure the dealer does not charge you for the reflash when they first came out dealers were charging and there was nothing to say otherwise I believe the paperwork says differently now in the package.
Pete is great with getting back to ya! also as mentioned Bo white on here does great work on the V8's. another point of contact too I've talked to about it.

Yup, the issue is fixed on the labor rate for the tune. on the paper, there is a code to which the time taken to do the reflash is to be charged to. 20-30 min tops once they get your car in. just make sure its between 8 and 5, cause they have to call into this line, to get the code to do the reflash and whatever the place is, its only open during those times.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 01-24-2018 at 06:33 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #16
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Yea Pete is pretty cool talked to him today, gonna decide in a couple days what I'm gonna do.

I remember seeing that flash issue for a while, sure it's fixed, but if not then it's obvious why it's not..

Ehh, not sure I wanna do all that grinding on there knowing that the metal chips are near the engine haha, Pete seems to have a good thing goin I trust him. I know people with CNC machines, but still rather have someone do it who has been doing it there whole life.

I agree I love my V6! All I've owned is V6, never had a V8 yet.

Yea, seems like mixed reviews about TB's across the board, but I also have AFM delete and throttle controller, so it makes me wonder if I'll either really notice something or not notice anything at all...

And there is a V6 intake manifold ATOMIC AIRFORCE. Over a grand though..I'll be waiting couple years before I get that, doesn't really seem like anyone on here has got that yet.

I'm not going to DIY port, I'd probably get a used one from Pete. Nowhere around here who I'd trust to do it, plus Pete told me he has a bunch he was moving around and does them on a set day every week or two so he's definitely got this art mastered for sure.

I just HATE how the CAMARO feels like it has less acceleration/responsiveness than dozens of other vehicles I've driven throughout my life and recently. That's why I feel like TB would help.
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
And there is a V6 intake manifold ATOMIC AIRFORCE. Over a grand though..I'll be waiting couple years before I get that, doesn't really seem like anyone on here has got that yet. .
Got a link? Didn't see anything on MSD's website.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:25 AM   #18
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Yea Pete is pretty cool talked to him today, gonna decide in a couple days what I'm gonna do.

I remember seeing that flash issue for a while, sure it's fixed, but if not then it's obvious why it's not..

Ehh, not sure I wanna do all that grinding on there knowing that the metal chips are near the engine haha, Pete seems to have a good thing goin I trust him. I know people with CNC machines, but still rather have someone do it who has been doing it there whole life.

I agree I love my V6! All I've owned is V6, never had a V8 yet.

Yea, seems like mixed reviews about TB's across the board, but I also have AFM delete and throttle controller, so it makes me wonder if I'll either really notice something or not notice anything at all...

And there is a V6 intake manifold ATOMIC AIRFORCE. Over a grand though..I'll be waiting couple years before I get that, doesn't really seem like anyone on here has got that yet.

I'm not going to DIY port, I'd probably get a used one from Pete. Nowhere around here who I'd trust to do it, plus Pete told me he has a bunch he was moving around and does them on a set day every week or two so he's definitely got this art mastered for sure.

I just HATE how the CAMARO feels like it has less acceleration/responsiveness than dozens of other vehicles I've driven throughout my life and recently. That's why I feel like TB would help.
Youre on the right track. I daily drive 60 miles round trip, road trips and take my car to the track down at fed ex and summit point. Both when stock and now with mods, its been welcome. As long as you realize this isnt gonna feel like a 50 or 100 shot of nitrous. Just know the throttle response improves a bit, and midrange power improves slightly. I have no mixed views on it.

I cant think of one time with bolt on mods or stock that a ported tb couldnt be felt and noticed on the 6th gen or 5th gen for that matter. Hell even back to the 2007 charger. Its simply one of those mods where if you need that midrange pull, you add it.

Old school this was always a part of the basic trifecta of bolt ons. Intake headers, exhaust. Then you did a catch can to lessen the short term and long term know and a tb. It didnt get anymore basic than that

The msd atamoic intake is for v8s.... havent seen any intake manifold outside of the one jacfab ported one, for the v6.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #19
NY Andrew

That’s good to know it should be felt then. I’ll probably try and call him today then and place the order.

I agree I hate how difficult new cars are getting to work on. 2017’s seem to be a mess with CEL’s etc. I mean I guess you can’t fully blame GM because it’s obv s financial deal but definetly does take the fun out of these cars and make it so much more difficult overall. Prob gonna lee this baby for a decade or so hopefully longer because the future cars will be even worse to work on.

Yea they have one for the LT1 $1100
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #20
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
That’s good to know it should be felt then. I’ll probably try and call him today then and place the order.

I agree I hate how difficult new cars are getting to work on. 2017’s seem to be a mess with CEL’s etc. I mean I guess you can’t fully blame GM because it’s obv s financial deal but definetly does take the fun out of these cars and make it so much more difficult overall. Prob gonna lee this baby for a decade or so hopefully longer because the future cars will be even worse to work on.

Yea they have one for the LT1 $1100
Physically its easier, just technically more diffucult being more computers.

Tuning isnt bad unless you have the 2017 or any LT model of any year. Some of the handhelds they have for the v8 with a canned tune you can tweak is easy as heck.

Overkill has an autocal setup for the v6s that pretty easy

Old 01-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
NY Andrew

Actually I think I’m gonna pass on the TB..upon further research might be best to save the money for the intake manifold. This is pretty on point.. https://youtu.be/XMcfe359To8

As far as the CAI goes, was gonna get the GM one, then realized THEY DONT EVEN SELL THE FILTERS!! Can’t find no replacement filter anywhere. Call TCPG who was real helpful but came to same conclusion. In 6 months when I go for my next oil change I will get the GM one and have them tune it though because all the CAI without a tune making it run extremely lean doesn’t seem good. Can’t believe on top of the $400 CAI gotta pay like another $150 for tune just to stay in warranty... Don’t even like the open CAI for many reasons but to not get a CEL and maintain warranty without tune not really any other option..

Thanks guys for all the input! Good info here for sure.

Side note, is there ANYTHING else that can make the throttle more responsive? Or is this pretty much it? Guess it’s all a safety issue now unless maybe a tune could solve that. Ugh can’t wait to tune when warranty is out. Tune blows all warranty’s right, not just the limited one?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #22
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Actually I think I’m gonna pass on the TB..upon further research might be best to save the money for the intake manifold. This is pretty on point.. https://youtu.be/XMcfe359To8

As far as the CAI goes, was gonna get the GM one, then realized THEY DONT EVEN SELL THE FILTERS!! Can’t find no replacement filter anywhere. Call TCPG who was real helpful but came to same conclusion. In 6 months when I go for my next oil change I will get the GM one and have them tune it though because all the CAI without a tune making it run extremely lean doesn’t seem good. Can’t believe on top of the $400 CAI gotta pay like another $150 for tune just to stay in warranty... Don’t even like the open CAI for many reasons but to not get a CEL and maintain warranty without tune not really any other option..

Side note, is there ANYTHING else that can make the throttle more responsive? Or is this pretty much it? Guess it’s all a safety issue now unless maybe a tune could solve that. Ugh can’t wait to tune when warranty is out. Tune blows all warranty’s right, not just the limited one?
Yeah I've been looking for filters as well. Might have to find a universal fit.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #23
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:

seems you are getting some REALLY bad info....

1) on the TB. this guy is talking about TB's and WOT in reference to a mustang oval TB. .... ported TB's aren't really for top end. its for low to mid range power. that's where the biggest gains are to be had.... you'll see near the 7,000 rpm mark the lines narrow. but from 3k to about 6k rpms, its widest. that's the power gains in the mid range. on a Camaro with an LFX engine... not some mustang, that's possibly boosted with 1000hp as in the vid you posted.

Personally NEVER had any drivability issues with any of Vmax's tb's. Modern muscle on the charger. Howell automotive on the cavalier... NEVER. haven't seen anyone else on here with one have any issues either. I do way more reading than I post. all of the forums. v8, v6, turbo 4 and many others. your call though.

as for vmax and the TB on the 5th gen LFX... which was less power than the LGX what we have....

Quote:
VMAX recently sent a V6 VMAX throttle body to JDP for testing on our DynoJet 224xLC as well as our driving impressions. We were told not to expect large power gains but the "seat of the pants" feel was supposed to be great. Well......... I was very impressed by the low to mid range power gained from 2000 RPM all the way up to 6000 RPM. We saw up to 12 RWTQ and 8 RWHP at 3000 RPM which is awesome! Most of the time you're driving around town, you're not at redline and it is important to understand power below the curve is huge. How often are you at 7000 RPM?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171454

also this guy is mentioning gains of WOT with 1000 HP turbo cars with bone stock TB.... kinda apples and hotdogs. mainly if you have 1000hp, you have a turbo pushing 6-10 psi into the engine. so of course a stock TB can flow air when its being force fed into an engine via turbos or a supercharger. n/a, you have to rely on atmospheric pressure and the engine sucking the air in. N/A to Forced induction comparisons aren't on the same level. overall though, when you flow more cfm, you make more power. period.

videos showing otherwise:

in the end, its up to you... i view it as some of the fastest guys that are local and have proven it at Camarofest over the years, run em, on what they bring to race and are also their daily drivers. no drivability issues. only way for that to occur is if someone damages the blade, or ports the area where the blade closes down to. also note...anything ported with a bad port job can cause driving issues...ported heads, ported TB, which leads into ported intake manifolds, which the youtube poster you posted seems to be against as well, if you read though the comments section.

2) intake manifold. not available yet. still in the works... some are waiting. its more of a keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. I'd rather see it sooner than later, but most of us know theres a lot of work that goes into it.

3) 400$ for an intake and another 150 for a tune???

gm intake cost me 370-ish$ and the tune is already in the price of the intake cost. they can be found for about 375$ or so... and you don't pay extra for the tune.

4) filter...there's hundreds of universal filters in a pinch. the GM filters should be reusable...so just wash and dry as you would any other intake filter. I did the same when I had the AFE intake. remove filter, take inside, wash....shake out, reinstall on car less than 30 min later. go drive. as it stands, it looks to be a dry filter made of the normal dry filter material. I doubt gm made a filter out a paper, so when you wash it, its just disintegrates like a receipt at the bottom of a swimming pool, leaving you with a rubber grommet and a flat plastic piece. else when its foggy out, water droplets would have ruined it by now.

all the info is there. but in the end, you gotta do what's best for your car.

just to note.... on YouTube you can find videos of someone saying you'll have issues with anything.

if you plan to get the gm cold air intake kit:

don't do it, cause this guy says cold air intakes are bad...

I've seen the

-don't use nitrous cause you'll blow up your engine.
-don't use turbos cause you'll blow up your engine
-don't use super chargers cause if you don't blow up the engine, you'll have belt slip
etc etc etc...

there will always be someone saying don't do this or that. and short of anything performance....basically just keep your car stock. but then you have to worry about recalls and all the other issues we've had. and then you'll see the posts of, don't buy a Camaro cause of X, Y, and Z reasons...

either way... I'd say g'luck with it. find what works for you.

also you asked about the throttle responsive thing.... some people get a tune... others rely on the vitesse throttle gimmicks. doesn't add power, doesn't make your times any quicker, but it changes the feel. not my type of mod, but some like it. if its not improving your cars times, or speeds, then I don't see the point.

theres many people selling them cheap, due to after installing it, on quite a few cars, it puts the throttle into limp mode. you've posted in one of the posts about it. https://www.google.com/search?q=vite...p+mode&ie=&oe=

and as the age old adage goes..."speed costs, how fast do you wanna go?"

in all honesty though, you prob need to sit down, be honest with yourself, and figure out what your goals are with the car. many who get LT models want miracle gains, but either aren't prepared to pay for them or add parts here and there that don't really support their ultimate goals. then after X amount of time, they get frustrated and either trade up to a v8 or another car, then feel like their previous venture was a waste of time and money.

a tune only voids the powertrain warranty. logically a dealer cant say "well your paint is chipping, it must be that killer sick tune you put on the car".... so obviously they cant negate the bumper to bumper warranty.

if you have some sort of warranty for the powertrain...5year, 60k.... then yes... it can void that.

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 01-25-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #24
NY Andrew

You’re responses are always crazy good and require days to get around to respond back too haha thanks man.

So that’s telling me I can expect around 10 RWHP gain from the simple TB port? If that’s the case it’s pretty much a no brainer then.

The intake manifold is already available, pricey, but it’s there.

And we’ll yes the tune is included in the price, but doesn’t that still require an additional fee for man hours at the GM dealership? If that’s the case and everything’s free and included in the total price then again that’s a no-brainer. But I thought I’d still have to pay for the tune hours which if that’s the case it’d prob be the same price to just have them install the CAI as well.

As for the filter, I’d rather just buy replaceable ones (especially since I hate the open design) but obviously that isn’t an option so would prob have to reuse it then. Not a big fan of oil ones I have K&N filter already however.

I bought the V6 because I could every option imaginable for a reasonable price vs same options on V8 woulda been almost corvette pricing. I have no intentions on getting rid of this car pretty much ever I wanna really put a lot of work in to it with everything talked about plus more exhaust work and possibly decade down the road supercharge it. Not like I’m racing it or tracking it so no real reason for V8 just for my own fun and enjoyment enjoy working on it and making it as badass as possible. Plus I now only drive it every couple weeks so don’t wanna be paying arm and a leg for a sitter!

As for the tune, I agree and get what you’re saying, I need to find a breakdown again of the full warranty breakdown sheet but in the end seems like I got another 3 years probably until all warranties expire and then I can tune. Plus the fact I’ve had soooo much work done to this car without a charge besides oil change so I don’t want them to stop taking care of these issues.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
You’re responses are always crazy good and require days to get around to respond back too haha thanks man.
I try to explain things most accurate as possible. Not always successful, but theres always a way to relate
Quote:
So that’s telling me I can expect around 10 RWHP gain from the simple TB port? If that’s the case it’s pretty much a no brainer then.
Around that... bit its in the mid range of the power band. Yoyll see once you start modding cars, when dealing with airflow, you can tune a car to perform better in different rpm ranges to suit your needs. Some people tune for too end, some tune for low end, some for mid range. So a guy doing the standing mile will prob do for mid range to top end. He'll generally roll off the line and then get into it. A guy who does road racing, will do a lot of mid end, but a good balance all around. Where as an 1/8th mile guy will focus on mods and tuning right off the line.

Quote:
The intake manifold is already available, pricey, but it’s there

Which intake manifold are you referring to??? If its the msd atomic one... that's for v8's. If you have a v6 (im assuming since this is the v6 forum) then you cant fit a v8 manifold on a v6... see below for picture
Quote:
And we’ll yes the tune is included in the price, but doesn’t that still require an additional fee for man hours at the GM dealership? If that’s the case and everything’s free and included in the total price then again that’s a no-brainer. But I thought I’d still have to pay for the tune hours which if that’s the case it’d prob be the same price to just have them install the CAI as well.
Just buy the intake, install it...easy... make an appointment with the dealer and have it reflashed.

Quote:
As for the filter, I’d rather just buy replaceable ones (especially since I hate the open design) but obviously that isn’t an option so would prob have to reuse it then. Not a big fan of oil ones I have K&N filter already however

Up to you really. Filters these days are designed to be reusable. Saves money so you dont just buy em and throw em away. Paper you have to throw away cause washing it would destroy it. But cotton gauze is reusable. Thay way youre not paying 50+ dollars every filter cleaning time.

If you do plan to buy a new one everytime you change the filter though, keep me in mind. Ill buy an old one from ya!

Quote:
I bought the V6 because I could every option imaginable for a reasonable price vs same options on V8 woulda been almost corvette pricing. I have no intentions on getting rid of this car pretty much ever I wanna really put a lot of work in to it with everything talked about plus more exhaust work and possibly decade down the road supercharge it. Not like I’m racing it or tracking it so no real reason for V8 just for my own fun and enjoyment enjoy working on it and making it as badass as possible. Plus I now only drive it every couple weeks so don’t wanna be paying arm and a leg for a sitter!
Nothing wrong with that. Im morr in less in the same boat. Run it till it doesn't go anymore. Just take the time and make sure anything ya add is conducive to your own personal goals. Track or street or even just a weekend car. This is the biggest thing most disappoint themselves with

Quote:
As for the tune, I agree and get what you’re saying, I need to find a breakdown again of the full warranty breakdown sheet but in the end seems like I got another 3 years probably until all warranties expire and then I can tune. Plus the fact I’ve had soooo much work done to this car without a charge besides oil change so I don’t want them to stop taking care of these issues.
An aftermarket tune, might be something to wait for. The one with the intake is under warranty. But if you wanna start doing custom tuning, might be worth the wait.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #26
NY Andrew

Ok now I’m confused. So I have the V6 3.6L RS 2LT. That was the intake manifold I was referring too, it says LT1... is the V6 not LT1!?? Because if not then how come when we get the VMAX TB it’s LT1.....

Yea I will definetly go that route since I rather install it and now know that the flash/tune is free! Can’t wait.

How efficient is washing the filters though?.. I feel like that has so many potential downsides. Also is open CAI any more efficient over a closed CAI?? It’s gonna get so much more dirty and with engine heat all around it being sucked in, I just don’t see how that’s effective, wish it had a cover.

Yea even if the engine does die then that means just replace it with a V8 and keep it goin
Old 01-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #27
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
LT1 is the engine designation for the 6.2L V8 found in the Camaro SS and Corvette. The V6 engine designation is LGX.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #28
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Ok now I’m confused. So I have the V6 3.6L RS 2LT. That was the intake manifold I was referring too, it says LT1... is the V6 not LT1!?? Because if not then how come when we get the VMAX TB it’s LT1.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
LT1 is the engine designation for the 6.2L V8 found in the Camaro SS and Corvette. The V6 engine designation is LGX.
This ^^^^

Thw vmax tb, they also have one for the lgx. The LT1 is a v8 engine code. LT is a Trim level just like SS(i believe thats how its read). RS is a package, same as the 1LE is a package.
Year =2016
Make = Chevy
Model = Camaro

Quote:
Yea I will definetly go that route since I rather install it and now know that the flash/tune is free! Can’t wait.

Quote:
How efficient is washing the filters though?.. I feel like that has so many potential downsides. Also is open CAI any more efficient over a closed CAI?? It’s gonna get so much more dirty and with engine heat all around it being sucked in, I just don’t see how that’s effective, wish it had a cover.
As efficient as any k&n or aftermarket filter. Washing and reusing filters has been around for decades.nothing new. Most all cotton gauze filters & dry synthetic material filters are washed and reused. You wash and rewear your clothes, right? The dont block less heat or cold just cause you wash em. Same concept.

"Open" intakes arent really open. To start theres is the huge plastic heatsheild/box that the filter sits within. Notice i said HEAT SHIELD. The top seals to the hood, so really when in use its mostly closed. Have you looked at the intake yet? This is really clear that it comes with a box that is virtually the same as what was stock on the 2015 z28.

Even with the afe, which is closed on 90% of it except for a duct and side opening, i still got leaves and a few bugs inside the box. If an intake was fully closed, it wouldnt take in air....think about it. Every intake has an opening. Even stock intakes when opened have leaves, acorns, dead bugs etc.

The only way you can hace a potential downside to washing a filter is if you screw something up. If you have the motor functions to drive a car, id assume youd be ok washing your hands. And if you can wash your hands i would hazzard a guess that youd be ok washing a filter.

Quote:
Yea even if the engine does die then that means just replace it with a V8 and keep it goin
Gluck with that. Thats gonna take some know how and effort. Alot of wiring to deal with. Def light years harder than washing a filter

Tags
cold air intake, throttle body