Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
SilverHokie

Drives: 86 Camaro IROC LG4, 16 Subaru WRX
Convertible visibility

Hi,

Newb here again. Have had my 2016 2CC vert for a few days now and hadn't driven with the top up, because why would I :-). So last night my boys were over and with one of my 17 year old twins in the car he asked to finish the "show off" drive with the top up.

I had commented that a lot of people complain about the poor visibility and the convertible guys joke about "well that's an easy fix". I slowed down to about 10 MPH and put the top up (he has shocked you can do that while moving), and when I tried to joke about the blind spots there weren't any!

I then laughed and told him well I guess GM forgot to install B-pillars in the convertible but it got me thinking that even with the top up and windows up, visibility is NOT a problem other than sometimes seeing the traffic light through the top of the windshield which I also have issues with in my IROC.

Anyway, just wanted to see if any of you have problems with visibility, because with the top of I don't.

(Yes, I know my IROC is not a 5th nor a 6th gen. I'm here as I am thinking about a newer convertible and I know from experience most of the Camaro forum members are helpful and understanding.... right?!?)
SilverHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
IMO the visibility issues on this car (convertible or not) are blown way out of proportion by wimpy ass people who want everything near perfect. To me this car has enough visibility where it counts. You just have to use your head a little, adjust your mirrors, and use some basic common sense.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
IMO the Camaro visibility issue in general has been a bit overblown. People just look at the thin-ish side windows, read some reviews and think we drive tanks.

I honestly was expecting a lot worse before I sat in my Camaro at the dealer thanks to those reviews. When I actually got in, it wasn't bad at all. It's not the best in the world but it works for me. It's one of those things you gotta sit down in the car and be the judge.

And I have 2SS so I get the blindspot alerts, but I also learned to adjust my mirrors properly according to that SAE paper. The only thing would be shoulder checking, but Coupe's in general aren't particularly good with that.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
IMO the visibility issues on this car (convertible or not) are blown way out of proportion by wimpy ass people who want everything near perfect. To me this car has enough visibility where it counts. You just have to use your head a little, adjust your mirrors, and use some basic common sense.
Perfect internet response.

Call intelligent people a name.

Make sure you are clear that it can't be a problem for anyone else because it isn't for you.

Then telling people do something that makes it ok for everyone.

It's a problem for many. And although you will likely deny it, EVERY MAGAZINE REVIEW mentions poor visibilty.

And the other issue? It's noticeably worse than the Number 1 seller in the segment, the Mustang.

And GM quickly added their new Rear View Camera Mirror to the Camaro to address this issue. If it wasn't a problem they wouldn't have done that.

For me? It's great that you don't mind. Cool for you. For me? It is unacceptable and at least partially why the best performing car in the segment is the worst selling car in the segment.

But again, glad it's not a problem for you. But it is a problem technically speaking (wrote a thesis on occupant packaging many years ago) and a lot of people find it a concern. Just not sure why you can't at least see some people would find it objectionable.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Make sure you are clear that it can't be a problem for anyone else because it isn't for you.

It's a problem for many. And although you will likely deny it, EVERY MAGAZINE REVIEW mentions poor visibilty.

And the other issue? It's noticeably worse than the Number 1 seller in the segment, the Mustang.

And GM quickly added their new Rear View Camera Mirror to the Camaro to address this issue. If it wasn't a problem they wouldn't have done that.

For me? It's great that you don't mind. Cool for you. For me? It is unacceptable and at least partially why the best performing car in the segment is the worst selling car in the segment.

But again, glad it's not a problem for you. But it is a problem technically speaking (wrote a thesis on occupant packaging many years ago) and a lot of people find it a concern. Just not sure why you can't at least see some people would find it objectionable.
I think you're completely misunderstanding what I mean. Why buy a Camaro if want great visibility. Same could be said for many sporty type cars. So when someone buys a Camaro then complains about the visibility is not very smart on their part. Of course it's not as good as most others in this regard, but that's not it's intended purpose. People should be educated enough to know what they are buying beforehand. That's just common sense
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
The visibility problem was over blown. Stoplights are really the only problem.

Having been in a C7 it was worse.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #7
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

The problem is that the reviews are stopping people from sitting in one in the first place. That's why I say that don't let the poor visibility reputation stop you from trying it out. Of course, I am not gonna blame the reviews too much because they aren't lying(they are worse than other cars), but sometimes their wordings can imply that yes, we drive a tank.

If someone sat in one and determined it doesn't work for them, well that's fine. There is nothing mass-produced that is one-size-fits-all. Would I be happier if the visibility is better? Of course, but no car is perfect and as long as you are okay with the shortcomings, it's cool.

BTW I don't have the rearview camera because 1LE(the spoiler covers where the camera would normally go) and I am cool with it. I know Gen5DIY makes a conversion kit but I don't find the added convenience to be worth the rather high price. Maybe it has to do with me owning a C7 shortly before the Camaro and the rear visibility in the C7 is about as good as the Camaro, LOL.

But heh, who cares, right? Cars behind you are losing, that's all you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
The visibility problem was over blown. Stoplights are really the only problem.

Having been in a C7 it was worse.
C7 is slightly better in the front and sides in my experience, but it's not really much, much better.

As for the stoplight thing, am I the only one who doesn't have this issue? Is it because Canada or is it just because I am 5'10" and my seating position just works out for me?

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
When I first sat in a 6th gen Camaro I remember thinking “dang, this is a very narrow windshield.” It did feel cramped and difficult to see out of. But, after driving it I felt completely comfortable. As long as the seats and mirrors are adjusted properly it’s not a big deal to me. Most every car has blind spots, and for that reason I think all new vehicles should come standard with blind spot monitoring. If you think it’s difficult to see out if the Camaro, try a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I had the opportunity to sit in a Lambo once. I couldn’t see shit out the back of that thing! Of course not many people buy cars like that for their daily driver so...

The only way Chevy could improve visibility would be to change the design, which would change the appearance of the car that so many of us love. It’s a trade off, simple as that.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
The view in the rear view mirror is slightly obstructed with the top up. The view in the side views is the same top up or down. With the side views adjusted properly (tilted slightly away so my rear fenders aren't visible unless I lean to the side) there is no blind spot as far as I'm concerned, top up or down. Cars about to leave my rear view are visible in a side view at the same time.

But I can see how someone coming from another vehicle with larger windows could feel intimidated behind the wheel the first few times. Maybe some never get over it.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHokie View Post
Hi,

Newb here again. Have had my 2016 2CC vert for a few days now and hadn't driven with the top up, because why would I :-). So last night my boys were over and with one of my 17 year old twins in the car he asked to finish the "show off" drive with the top up.

I had commented that a lot of people complain about the poor visibility and the convertible guys joke about "well that's an easy fix". I slowed down to about 10 MPH and put the top up (he has shocked you can do that while moving), and when I tried to joke about the blind spots there weren't any!

I then laughed and told him well I guess GM forgot to install B-pillars in the convertible but it got me thinking that even with the top up and windows up, visibility is NOT a problem other than sometimes seeing the traffic light through the top of the windshield which I also have issues with in my IROC.

Anyway, just wanted to see if any of you have problems with visibility, because with the top of I don't.
Visibility issues way over rated even in the coupes. The only problem are the A pillars that require you to move your head more to look around them, But I drove a Chevy Tahoe a few years ago and they were worse but I never heard anyone complaining about an driving an SUV.....err they are calling tahoes SUVs....right?

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 05-22-2020 at 11:30 AM. Reason: wx
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:

You also sound like a broken record
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
You also sound like a broken record
I agree, every time this subject comes up about blind spots or the trunk opening it is the same old story.

I stored a 2018 GT350R for a buddy for a month that was sitting next to my SS. The side blind spots and view out the back is so close between the two cars it’s not worth mentioning. All the reviews are broken records, once one review comes out they all rehash the last review and repeat. I guess they have to complain about something.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree, every time this subject comes up about blind spots or the trunk opening it is the same old story.

I stored a 2018 GT350R for a buddy for a month that was sitting next to my SS. The side blind spots and view out the back is so close between the two cars it’s not worth mentioning. All the reviews are broken records, once one review comes out they all rehash the last review and repeat. I guess they have to complain about something.
Yeh..its like a Narrative from Fake news...all the same exact circular talking points.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:

But again, glad it's not a problem for you.
Wow, you should change your name to "Camaro hater".
First the trunk and now the visibility...

Again, the second gens were called out for the same visibility problems. But back in those days, there weren't any cameras available. So, for the '75 MY they added the "wrap around" rear window.

They are sports cars, not SUVs. SUVs do not go fast nor handle well. Sports cars have small trunks and "poor visibility". That's how the world works.

Which, for the record, I agree the visibility thing is way overblown. It is hard to see stoplight though.