Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
JeffWhiteSS

Drives: Camaro SS
Zl1 exhaust on ss

I just got a really good deal on a stock zL1 exhaust. I am wanting to put it on my 2019 ss. I know I need a new rear diffuser. Has anyone done this? Just wondering if I’ll notice a difference in the way it sounds. Thanks for any input.
JeffWhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Jeff, does your SS have the optional NPP exhaust? The ZL1 exhaust is NPP with the valves and if you have the regular exhaust on your SS then it won’t be functional. The ZL1 exhaust is basically the same with the exception of the exhaust tip size being slightly larger than the SS and should be the same for the sound too. If you have the regular exhaust then a good aftermarket system would be better and you wouldn’t have to buy a new rear valence/diffuser panel unless you want the quad tips as opposed to the dual tips.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
If you have NPP it will work. As far as sound, you won't be able to tell a difference.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
JeffWhiteSS

I don’t have the NPP exhaust. The guy told me if I don’t the valve would just stay open making it louder. I just hate to spend all the money and have the same sound. I can just re sell it because I got the entire exhaust for $90. So I guess it’s not a huge loss.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWhiteSS View Post
I don’t have the NPP exhaust. The guy told me if I don’t the valve would just stay open making it louder. I just hate to spend all the money and have the same sound. I can just re sell it because I got the entire exhaust for $90. So I guess it’s not a huge loss.
Oh I thought you wanted it functional for some reason. Yeah, it will just stay open and in "loud" mode.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
JeffWhiteSS

Okay thanks.. I’m just hoping the ZL1 exhaust in the open position sounds louder then what I have now. Mine just doesn’t even sound like a V8. Maybe I’m just use to my wife’s ScatPack. That thing sounds amazing.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWhiteSS View Post
Okay thanks.. I’m just hoping the ZL1 exhaust in the open position sounds louder then what I have now. Mine just doesn’t even sound like a V8. Maybe I’m just use to my wife’s ScatPack. That thing sounds amazing.
It'll definitely sound better with the open valves, in my opinion. You're like me, I want my V8 to sound exactly like what it is and I want to hear it. Put that Scat Pack to shame! Awesome buy by the way. $90. Hell yeah
Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have the v6 and installed the ZL1 exhaust, I think the SS has slightly smaller pipes but it would still be a nice sound increase
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #9
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
You can get the AWE Touring non NPP for $650. Axel back.
dmcmahan60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
someone correct me if im wrong, but can't he get an aftermarket switch for the exhaust if he wants to control the valves? Should be like $100

should def sound better than stock with valves open, hopefully you can find a new valance for decent price.
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftenimitated View Post
someone correct me if im wrong, but can't he get an aftermarket switch for the exhaust if he wants to control the valves? Should be like $100

should def sound better than stock with valves open, hopefully you can find a new valance for decent price.

Nope.

If you want OEM controlled NPP exhaust on a Camaro that didnt come with the NPP from the factory, it isnt possible. If you want to wire a switch up and manually control the valve it might be possible but would be some work.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
ZL1 and SS NPP sound identical.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Nope.

If you want OEM controlled NPP exhaust on a Camaro that didnt come with the NPP from the factory, it isnt possible. If you want to wire a switch up and manually control the valve it might be possible but would be some work.
Exactly that.

There was a guy on the Corvette forums that had created a way to do so but sadly he went MIA. His work is still up and the thread gets bumped every once in a while but unless someone with enough time and similar skill sets sees it I doubt it would be completed.

My best bet, as I have the NPP and the actuators sitting in a drawer would be to rig up a motor to each and a switch. I don't know much about wiring and electrical stuff but if I can find a powerful enough motor I'd totally do it just to have the ability to.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #14
JeffWhiteSS

I don’t really care about being able to control the sound like the NPP. I just want a louder exhaust and the quad tips do look nice too. I ordered the GM aftermarket exhaust but its on backorder and it was almost $1,000 so I may cancel if the ZL1 muffler sounds good. I’m trying to get the American Authority rear diffuser to fit the quad tips to but they are sold out to. I just really hope I don’t go through all this and it sounds the same as what I have now.