Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Problems Driving Your Camaro In High Winds?

Maybe its the weight reduction in these cars OR maybe its me being paranoid BUT do any of you notice when your driving on the highway when its very windy (like winds kicking up anything over 20 mph) that the force of the winds actually pushes the car when your driving, causing you to slow way down so you don't get pushed over to the next lane??

Kinda scary when this happens...................

Has This happened to any of you when your doing highway driving?
What do you do when it happens?

What are your thoughts?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
My work truck is a box and tall and very prone to this, so when i get in my camaro I feel like an arrow lol
Old 01-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Dayle1

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue coupe V6/auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
My work truck is a box and tall and very prone to this, so when i get in my camaro I feel like an arrow lol
Same here, between my 3500HD and 34 ft fifth wheel, driving the Camaro is nothing. Whats more, it collects far fewer bugs than the truck and trailer
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I agree with jdelgado92, this car is great in the wind compared to most of my previous cars.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Yea, me too. My big assed Armada SUV wants to get pushed into the next lane when the east winds kick up out here. The Camaro feels like an arrow in comparisons.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Maybe its the weight reduction in these cars OR maybe its me being paranoid BUT do any of you notice when your driving on the highway when its very windy (like winds kicking up anything over 20 mph) that the force of the winds actually pushes the car when your driving, causing you to slow way down so you don't get pushed over to the next lane??

Kinda scary when this happens...................

Has This happened to any of you when your doing highway driving?
What do you do when it happens?

What are your thoughts?
I don't have a Camaro but that seems odd that the wind pushes the car when it's a fairly heavy car with a low profile. My 2005 GTO was very solid in windy conditions, but it weighed about 3700 pounds which is a couple hundred pounds more than your V6 I think. My 2011 Ford Focus is horrible in the wind and it drives me crazy. If there's a wind over 5 mph it seems to affect it. There's probably something wrong with the suspension though on my car. I doubt you'll have to worry about that in your upcoming ZL1 as it weighs about 3900 pounds. It should be rock solid I would think in windy conditions.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Any vehicle will be subject to shimmy in the wind. It has more to do with broad surface area and tire than weight. Trucks weigh nearly twice as much as our cars - but they are affected more than we are. And 200lbs more in the same model is negligible...that's like having a passenger or two.

I can say that I've had the wind blow the car around a tiny bit....but never to the degree that I felt I needed to slow down, or it would change lanes. Sounds like either you may have overreacted (not accusing!!), or there's something else going on that's not wind related...
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I haven't found this to be a problem at all, and I run some pretty heavy winds going across the state of Florida. Certainly no more than any of the BMWs sedans that I've been driving…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Burly

It was pretty gusty here yesterday as I drove down I95 and thought the Camaro did pretty good compared to other vehicles I saw getting pushed around. Noticed some rattling in the back with window down, I think it may have been rear seat belt but couldn't pinpoint at 80mph.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Zack46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
It was pretty gusty here yesterday as I drove down I95 and thought the Camaro did pretty good compared to other vehicles I saw getting pushed around. Noticed some rattling in the back with window down, I think it may have been rear seat belt but couldn't pinpoint at 80mph.
You say pretty good, did you still feel a little tug here or there?

NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Either the OP is seriously underestimating the speed of the winds he's being buffeted by or he's driving under some kind of influence. 20mph winds aren't going to be felt in the car. You got 70mph wind hitting you from the front if you're driving that fast and there's no wind. Maybe gusts of 50 you can feel in the car but it's hardly going to move your camaro.

Much more likely is that you're driving in truck grooves on crap asphalt roads
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
You say pretty good, did you still feel a little tug here or there?
Not really. This car is so planted at high speed.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
jp9109
Clay Sculptor at GM

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Either the OP is seriously underestimating the speed of the winds he's being buffeted by or he's driving under some kind of influence. 20mph winds aren't going to be felt in the car. You got 70mph wind hitting you from the front if you're driving that fast and there's no wind. Maybe gusts of 50 you can feel in the car but it's hardly going to move your camaro.

Much more likely is that you're driving in truck grooves on crap asphalt roads
There is a big difference between wind hitting the front of a car versus the side. Vehicles are designed to tolerate high wind situations on the front of the vehicle since that is what happens when you drive. Plus there is much higher surface area and less airflow through the vehicle when the wind is hitting the side of the vehicle so there will be a significantly different amount of force put on the vehicle if a 20mph wind is blowing on the side rather than the front. Obviously it won't be very noticeable if the wind speed is low but that comparison you gave was a little exaggerated.

OP, I frequently drive along a stretch of 75 in Michigan and 90 in Ohio to visit family. The open land along the turnpike allows some stronger winds to blow across the highway and I haven't really noticed any bad side effects from the wind. Like others have said, higher profile vehicles such as trucks and SUVs are more prone to crosswinds. When I drove a U-Haul along this route a few times it just happened to be windy and raining/snowing and it was much worse than the Camaro in those same conditions, as expected. So crosswinds really aren't an issue with how low of a profile this car has, just don't drive during a hurricane or tornado and you will be alright!
jp9109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Zack46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9109 View Post
So crosswinds really aren't an issue with how low of a profile this car has, just don't drive during a hurricane or tornado and you will be alright!

NEOCC Camaro Club Member