Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 10-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #3935
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
MT got a 2.8s 0-60 and an 11.1s quarter with the Z51. They didn't publish a 60ft time, which I'm most interested in.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...t-test-review/

Looks like the C8 has a bit of understeer... at 39%/61% weight distribution it doesn't surprise me.

What did surprise me, however, is the MT figure 8 time for the Z51: 23.3s

Compare to:
SS 1LE: 22.9
ZL1 1LE: 23.0
ZL1: 23.1
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/motortrend-figure-8

MT may have jumped the embargo by a day
11.1?! WOW!! That is serious!!

If it gets the Cars.com treatment then it should hit 10s easily.

I'm on my way to Florida tomorrow to check them out as part of the tour!! Can't wait!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #3936
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
You know the 60’ has to be pretty impressive as the trap is only 121.

Most (rwd) cars are at least mid to high 120s@basement 11s.

Pretty impressive, especially considering we know more power and stickier tires are coming on later models.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #3937
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
You know the 60’ has to be pretty impressive as the trap is only 121.

Most (rwd) cars are at least mid to high 120s@basement 11s.

Pretty impressive, especially considering we know more power and stickier tires are coming on later models.
Trapped 123.2 in MT testing.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #3938
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I have to say I am impressed by the 1/4 mile time.

The handling numbers do concern me as previously posted.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #3939
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post

I'm sure the more track focused Z06 will take care of that.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #3940
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
For one, I'm not "mad" at Ford for not going after track times. Or for claiming that they aren't. I'm calling them out for it. And I think they're flat out lying to cover their ass. Kinda like the guy who races but claims he wasn't really racing when he loses. Or right before the race claims there is some mysterious problem with his car. So if he loses then he has an excuse and if he wins then he looks that much better. I think Ford is FOS and is damn well going after track times. If not directly then indirectly by targeting the ZL1 and ZLE. So I can claim I'm not going after a record, I'm just trying to beat the person who holds the record. What kind of idiot would believe that BS is beyond me.
I have a feeling we are going to keep going around in circles lol. I am not going to call them out on it because it's something they have never done in the past. I guess it doesn't bother me since it's something they have never done. Now if they had done it in the past and now decided not to, then yeah call them out all day long and twice on sunday.

Quote:

See my above reply. In addition, regardless of Ford has done in the past, things are clearly different these days. Sure 10 and 20 years ago you could get away with saying that nonsense. But these days when you are clearly building a car that has the sole purpose of being on a track and is not suitable for DD use and then claim the purpose of the car isn't the track then it deserves ridicule. GM built the ZLE as a track car and made that claim and offered to honor the warranty if it is driven on the track and then told potential buyers that due to it's purpose it will be uncomfortable for DD use. Now what if they built the ZLE the way it is and then flat out lied about it's true purpose? They'd look like morons. And to me that is how Ford looks when they build a car loaded with CF stuff and 760 HP and extended it's production for an extra 1-2 years waiting on a DCT which was completely unnecessary and targeted a car that was strictly built for the track just to say they aren't going for track times. Shit I could give you a gift on December 26th and claim I don't celebrate Christmas...it's the same thing.
I agree the PP2 was a total mess. Answer me this, if GM built the ZLE exactly as they did but didn't give it's ring time out would you want to call them out like you want to call Ford out?

Quote:
And what was done in the past is not good enough today. Not when a Mustang costs $94K.

No I won't be mad. First off is because I doubt they will. Second is because there is no need for a Z28 these days. Where will it fit? How much will it cost? And will the cost justify what it can do? What will it target? Will they be able to get away with a NA version or will it need forced induction? WIll it take away from the C8 sales? See, there is no place for it. And frankly I don't want them to. Not if it in any way infringes upon the next Gen or doesn't prove to be a decent seller.

We do not need a Z28 anyway. Not when the ZLE does what it can do with the options it comes with at the price you can get it for. Same for the ZL1.
I'll disagree there because it's something they have never done in the past, I guess it just doesn't bother me because I know it's something they havent done before. Again though, if they had done it then past then decided to be hush hush and say not going after lap times... i would be right there with you.

Agreed with your points about the car being not needed. I guess that's good enough for me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
MT got a 2.8s 0-60 and an 11.1s quarter with the Z51. They didn't publish a 60ft time, which I'm most interested in.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...t-test-review/

Looks like the C8 has a bit of understeer... at 39%/61% weight distribution it doesn't surprise me.

What did surprise me, however, is the MT figure 8 time for the Z51: 23.3s

Compare to:
SS 1LE: 22.9
ZL1 1LE: 23.0
ZL1: 23.1
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/motortrend-figure-8

MT may have jumped the embargo by a day
Holy hell!!!!!!

I thought reviews and what not couldn't be release till the 16th

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
I'm sure the more track focused Z06 will take care of that.
This ^^^
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #3941
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I know it's mid engine so you don't need alot of tire up front, but it's only on 245s. I think the understeer will easily be corrected by some wider tires. Now the brake by wire,that sucks...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #3942
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Strange, the C&D test article originally showed 0-60 in 2.8 sec. and 1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 122 mph. It's been updated and now says 2.9 sec and 11.3 @ 122 mph.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #3943
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Ford doesn't post lap times because even though Ford cars are capable or impressive lap times they're not impressive enough for anyone to care about enough apparently or beat the competition. Better to leave the fanboys to argue and lay out hypotheticals on their behalf. Not a bad gameplan.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 10-15-2019 at 11:07 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #3944
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Strange, the C&D test article originally showed 0-60 in 2.8 sec. and 1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 122 mph. It's been updated and now says 2.9 sec and 11.3 @ 122 mph.
Motor Trend shows 2.8 sec and 11.1 @ 123.2 mph.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3945
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
That 11.1 @123 is impressive, and it bested the gm estimates/claims of 11.3 @121. I imagine at the strip in the near future we'll be seeing them stock in the high 10s.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #3946
shaffe

Reading the C&D review I almost get the feeling they are a tad disappointed . They loved the acceleration but in their tests the braking and handling was slightly behind the C7 Z51. That shocks me

"GM’s chassis-tuning track record is coloring our impressions here, but the previous Corvette—as well as the Alpha-platform Camaro, ATS, and CTS—seem to defy the laws of physics at their handling limits. Even if they understeer mildly, those cars’ chassis respond to miniscule additional steering inputs or slight changes in throttle position even at the absolute handling limit, making them continually adjustable. The C8 Corvette doesn’t perform this same magic trick"

"Yet. Maybe it’s just a matter of tuning, or tire selection. One GM insider hinted to us that future variants of the Corvette might be less one-dimensional at their handling limits. That will be a welcome upgrade for master-level drivers trained on exotic mid-engine cars. What’s also disappointing is that the 149-foot 70-to-0-mph braking performance stopped short of matching that first C7 Stingray’s 146-foot stop—to say nothing of the several later Stingrays we tested, which stopped as many as 13 feet sooner than that."

But the straight line stuff sure as hell seems like it's a missile

"And yet the C8 laid down a blazing 2.8-second 0-to-60-mph run, absolutely crucifying the C7’s 3.9-second performance. Dropping nearly one-third of the time from an acceleration run with no additional power is possibly the biggest coup ever accomplished by an automaker since the miracle of harnessing combustion itself."
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #3947
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Reading the C&D review I almost get the feeling they are a tad disappointed . They loved the acceleration but in their tests the braking and handling was slightly behind the C7 Z51. That shocks me

"GM’s chassis-tuning track record is coloring our impressions here, but the previous Corvette—as well as the Alpha-platform Camaro, ATS, and CTS—seem to defy the laws of physics at their handling limits. Even if they understeer mildly, those cars’ chassis respond to miniscule additional steering inputs or slight changes in throttle position even at the absolute handling limit, making them continually adjustable. The C8 Corvette doesn’t perform this same magic trick"

"Yet. Maybe it’s just a matter of tuning, or tire selection. One GM insider hinted to us that future variants of the Corvette might be less one-dimensional at their handling limits. That will be a welcome upgrade for master-level drivers trained on exotic mid-engine cars. What’s also disappointing is that the 149-foot 70-to-0-mph braking performance stopped short of matching that first C7 Stingray’s 146-foot stop—to say nothing of the several later Stingrays we tested, which stopped as many as 13 feet sooner than that."
Small correction: That was from the R&T article. I found those comments interesting.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #3948
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Small correction: That was from the R&T article. I found those comments interesting.
Thanks - yes that is from R&T