Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #141
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Agreed. Car is rock solid and really the blame is completely on a dealer for cause and their unwillingness to get involved to fix it.

I have enough miles on it now, that I hardly have a concern over reliability even driving 6 hours and running it full bore in a foreign country.

Of course, some of us are fools and mess with its success...last trip to the US resulted in one of these following me home:

I certainly don't need it/desire it on the track, but on the street it just feels like it needs more go...
Just a sincere question, why not a Maggie or a Whipple? Price?

These have more potential, don't need to be revved to the moon, offer lower temps... even though you install a GM part, it's still "aftermarket" as your car is an SS 1LE and you will need a custom tune, don't think you can just use a factory ZL1 tune, so at this point I see few to no advantages to the LT4, except maybe price.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #142
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
arpad_m: Great question...If I was in the states, I'd go Whipple. But until I make that move again, I felt more comfortable with a Chevy part. I've got a German inspection to go thru (outwardly modified cars can be impounded on the street), ultra reliability concern (OEM parts are best), and a lower HP target which the LT4 part will satisfy at a near $3000 savings.

Just getting the part here was an adventure - using a Kong Performance LT4 box allowed a slightly disassemble blower unit to ship via USPS for $75. The remainder of the ancillaries, also cost $75 to ship. Should mention a few items (adapter plates, blower top, cooling bricks, and TB) made the trip in my Delta checked bag!

A larger/heavier unit might not have been able to come USPS...friend bought an E-Force...added $800 for shipping/customs thru DHL.

Tuning will be done remote from the US.

Pretty incredible times we can add a few parts and make 650+ CHP...

Of course, this could all be for naught after the first pull on the autobahn when the rings butt or a cast piston melts...
Old 10-06-2019, 11:07 PM   #143
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
arpad_m: Great question...If I was in the states, I'd go Whipple. But until I make that move again, I felt more comfortable with a Chevy part. I've got a German inspection to go thru (outwardly modified cars can be impounded on the street), ultra reliability concern (OEM parts are best), and a lower HP target which the LT4 part will satisfy at a near $3000 savings.

Just getting the part here was an adventure - using a Kong Performance LT4 box allowed a slightly disassemble blower unit to ship via USPS for $75. The remainder of the ancillaries, also cost $75 to ship. Should mention a few items (adapter plates, blower top, cooling bricks, and TB) made the trip in my Delta checked bag!

A larger/heavier unit might not have been able to come USPS...friend bought an E-Force...added $800 for shipping/customs thru DHL.

Of course, this could all be for naught after the first pull on the autobahn when the rings butt or a cast piston melts...
Aha, that makes sense, I forgot about that German admiration of rules for a second. Nice contraband subterfuge on the ancillary parts, haha, I totally get the adventure aspect

Good luck with the blower, and don't you forget to post an(other) Autobahn acceleration/max speed video with the LT4 installed

Oh just one more thing, my setup now makes roughly stock ZL1 level horsepower, perhaps a little more, and my tuner strongly recommended the JMS voltage booster with the LT1 fuel system. I'm not an expert and it also made sense, so I listened to him; you may want to strengthen your fuel delivery one way or another before adding 200 crank hp.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #144
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Ahhhh man it's going to be a lot harder to keep up with you around the Ring now haha
Old 10-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #145
Tim M

arpad_m: I agree on the fuel...ADM included an LT4 pump and injectors in the package.

FNxR3DNECK: Doubt it...likely the extra power will slow my pace on such a challenging track. The thought of hitting 170 mph on at least one stretch caused me to hesitate in the decision. I've considered holding off on the install just to get one good lap in that I feel is my limit - had hoped to get couple more visits before the snow flies, but weather and travel are conspiring against me. And the lure of 650 HP is hard to resist...

I like numbers and data so I've got a German dyno test scheduled for Friday at:

https://www.dyno-stuttgart.de/

I'm not familiar with their dyno (or even their tie down procedure - tow eyes?), but it will provide a baseline. I certainly plan to return for tuning and to see the improvement the blower provides - apples to apples.

I also have baseline weight scheduled at another location. Interested to see the LT4 blower weight increase. Stateside this car weighed in at 3660 with no fuel/people.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #146
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

The type of use you'll be putting this car through (laps at the Nurburgring and speed runs on the autobahn) are definitely high-risk for adding a supercharger on top of a stock LT1. Wishing you good luck.

Last edited by wnta1ss; 10-09-2019 at 06:21 AM.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #147
Tim M

wnta1ss: Unfortunate you chose to remove the blower and forego the 'easy' HP increase. We will likely go the otherway if forced to do so...as I've got a 14-year old engine building assistant in the family. So if we fail a piston, a forged piston powerplant will be the next step (undesired, but...).

Today was busy...gave the car a bath at sunrise...then off to the dyno shop.

Used BHP outside if Stuttgart. French made dyno machine (eddy current/load bearing) that uses tow hook attachments vice straps. Camaro lacks a toe hook in the rear so still used straps.

Also used one heck of a cooling blower...likely to replicate the wind at highway speeds - recall reading some European cars don't like standstill runs. No issue with cooling for sure as it was hurricane force winds.

Did 4 runs (2000-6600)...performed as expected for curves/AFR (lambda).

DynoJet returned 405 WHP.

This French Dyno stated 375 WHP or 440 corrected "PS." Note: it appears they system uses a significant wheel to crank conversion factor of 25.72% vice US typical of 17% on manual transmissions. Nonetheless, this visit was to establish a base line for a delta of change on the next visit after updates.

We then topped up the tank to the very top and weighed the car with corner scales (final number was minus 19 gallons * 6.3 pounds per gallon).

Car has no options (except PDR) and nothing inside (no people, no fuel, no floor mats, no owner's manual, etc) weighs in at 3640 pounds.

Will be interesting to see what the supercharger adds to it...I hope less than 90 pounds.

Sunday is trip to the Ring for some birthday laps...expect traffic so more track study only.

Last edited by Tim M; 10-12-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #148
Red Hot ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 Vert. M6.
Slacker.

My SC just started making noise.

Have fun!
Red Hot ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #149
wnta1ss

Quote:
wnta1ss: Unfortunate you chose to remove the blower and forego the 'easy' HP increase. We will likely go the otherway if forced to do so...as I've got a 14-year old engine building assistant in the family. So if we fail a piston, a forged piston powerplant will be the next step (undesired, but...).
Yeah, situation stinks. Logistics of doing the motor was the problem for me, not so much the actual work in the motor itself.

I did get to use the supercharger on a 1/4 mile dragstrip, in hot weather, which superchargers do not like so much. On the heat issue, talked to a guy with a modded Hellcat, and he told me that he was down 8mph, so even with a water/air intercooler, his still was having the same issue with the heat as my air/air setup did.

Edited to add: don't know if you've researched fuel systems, but the LT1 stuff with the addition of a supercharger can run out at different places from car to car. I know you have a 1LE which has the ZL1 low side pump, but the LT1 high side pump and injectors still might not be up to snuff. Mine with the supercharger (base kit advertised 550rwhp), a ZL1 low side pump like yours, and the stock LT1 high side pump and injectors, did indeed see pressure dropping in the high side with E10 US-market gasoline.

Last edited by wnta1ss; 10-13-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #150
Tim M

wnta1ss: What was you quartermile time with the blower? Thanks for the suggestion of teh LT4 fueling...the pump and injectors were part of the package.

Making a solid attempt to keep it alive...

Ring visit was a bit of a bust...1 lap first thing in the morning on a very wet track. No rain, but the temps caused 100% moisture...quite slippery with two cars off as we made our way around. A full capacity Camaro may have experienced the ring...all with smiles on their faces even at 5/10 pace - no jumps, (un)fortunately.

We headed over to the Ring go-carts for some 'track' time and even some virtual GP track/Ring driving. My 14-year old was within 20 seconds of my simulator 7:40 time!

I like the rear aspect...in the garage at the Ring complex:

Then returned after lunch (sun shining)...and the track was closed for repairs...considerably attendance with the temps in the 60's. We called it a day and headed home via a used car viewing...2008 Honda Jazz (Fit), which I bought for a winter car (Honda for $1500 is a steal here in Germany).

Next attempt at some laps will be 3 Nov...noticed the GP track will be open concurrently (but likely not connected) that particular weekend. November is the final open time before season end...
Old 10-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #151
wnta1ss

Quote:
wnta1ss: What was you quartermile time with the blower? Thanks for the suggestion of teh LT4 fueling...the pump and injectors were part of the package
In the hot weather I was running 10.9sec in the 1/4. Unfortunately I did not get to try it in cooler weather.

Good idea getting the LT4 fuel parts.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #152
Tim M

A 10.9 is darn impressive. Considering my current is a 12.8 car (with me at the wheel), dropping a second or two would be well received!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #153
Tim M

Slowly collecting parts...great deal from a fellow forum member - OEM LT4 airbox:

And Black Friday brought a JRE remote tuning package...couple of hundred discount.

More to get (blower belt, blower reservoir, etc).

Weather has turned cold and wet...car is parked for the winter (I recall how I dislike the non-FL weather).

My 1.2 liter 78 HP Honda Jazz is my main mode of transportation. Not a terrible car and at $1500 purchase price and 39 mpg average in traffic...I can still practice my heel/toe coordination with gusto!
Old 12-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #154
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Aww man, I have my Airbox in the loft and I'm a lot closer than the US!
(If you need a 'no tie' upper grill ( completely badgeless) - or stock LT4 throttlebody let me know

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote