Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #43
Vne182

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro LS
I'm never going to run a k&n ever again! Quick story. My dad, a good friend, and I all bought Fiat Abarths from a dealer with some sick discounts (mine was $17k). We all drove them in the same manner with about the same mileage, but I added a better intake which used a much larger K&N. I kept it fairly clean and ended up getting a new K&N after 50k miles.
By 90k miles my car was consuming 2 quarts of oil between oil changes due to additional blow by. My dad and buddy were not consuming much oil between changes. I took good care of that engine with the best synthetic oils too. The only difference being that damn K&N and the larger particulates that it allowed into my engine!
Vne182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #44
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
timely info, thanks for that. how did you determine blow by?
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #45
Vne182

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
timely info, thanks for that. how did you determine blow by?
I thought it was a bad pcv, amongst other things which I replaced. Scoping the cylinder walls, noticed more wear in regards to less cross hatching, compared to the other two cars. My car ran fine and so I didn't want to do a compression test because if I would have found lower compression, I know I would have rebuilt the entire motor.

Running three of the same cars, in the same area, with the same mileage, and the only difference being an aftermarket K&N. My car showed signs of compression loss (oil consumption, slightly worse fuel mileage).
Vne182 is offline   Reply With Quote