Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
you are starting to show signs of “detailing addiction”...lol...we all have had it before....

who cares what we think?...its what YOU think....if you can live with it or not.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #30
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I'd have it polished off and use CarPro Hydro2Foam diluted 10:1 instead of a pro product. I just pay to have polishing done, it's $100 to $150 and well worth it for me. I don't want to put more than about 1 hour into washing my car 1-2x/month.

I used polymer sealers in the past and the H2F is on a whole 'nother level in terms of gloss and the car staying clean. I honestly can't believe how clean the car stays with the H2F, it's night and day. The car literally feels super-slick, nothing sticks to it! And it lasts months... at least as long as how often you'd apply a "refresher" to a commercially applied ceramic coating, so I see no point in the expensive "pro" products.

However water spots are certainly more of an issue, but if you catch them early they come right off using Carpro ECH20 20:1 diluted quick detailer, which is also an excellent product recommended by one of the experts here.

I am a Carpro convert.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #31
jfearh

Drives: 2018 Camaro LS / 2018 Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I'd have it polished off and use CarPro Hydro2Foam diluted 10:1 instead of a pro product. I just pay to have polishing done, it's $100 to $150 and well worth it for me. I don't want to put more than about 1 hour into washing my car 1-2x/month.

I used polymer sealers in the past and the H2F is on a whole 'nother level in terms of gloss and the car staying clean. I honestly can't believe how clean the car stays with the H2F, it's night and day. The car literally feels super-slick, nothing sticks to it! And it lasts months... at least as long as how often you'd apply a "refresher" to a commercially applied ceramic coating, so I see no point in the expensive "pro" products.

However water spots are certainly more of an issue, but if you catch them early they come right off using Carpro ECH20 20:1 diluted quick detailer, which is also an excellent product recommended by one of the experts here.

I am a Carpro convert.
well i paid $700 for polish and a single coating of ceramic pro, not sure if i really want to spend any extra on it. I guess maybe at some point i will have the balls to buy a polisher and learn how to do it myself but for now i guess i am going to have to live with it until it wears off in about a few year time and just really take my time drying it correctly so water spotting doesnt occur as much.
jfearh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #32
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfearh View Post
Hey Guys,

The chemical guys spot remover did not work, not even a little. I am probably not getting ceramic coating again as i think its not worth washing the car every single time it rains. I mean think about it, we all have families and have a life. My neighbors think i am probably crazy with the amount of car washes and things i do. I am really starting to believe in KISS (keep it stupid simple).

As far as the existing spots are concerned, the detailer did say that he will buff it and coat it again but this time he will coat it with a coating that lasts about 6 months to 12 months as opposed to the one that i paid for (2 years or more if maintained). So i dont know if its worth it at this stage to have him re do the hood and the trunk? If I leaves these spots as is, would they disappear in time as the coating wears off? Please advise.
Bummer about the CG... but doesn't surprise me. Water spots on ceramic are a SOB to remove. Mine were not as severe as yours and it took quite some effort with Carpro water spot remover and still wasn't 100% perfect. Mechanical polish is definitely the way to go.

Suggestion: Have your detailer apply Gtechniq EXO v4 on the car after the polish. EXO ~$65 per 30ml bottle on Amazon plus $20 for panel wipe, and will last up to 2 years with proper prep (polish, follow directions). At 27 months my car still looks great and coatings are perfect (garaged weekend car). Sounds like he's willing to work with you somewhat, but even if you drop the entire $90 yourself, it will be worth it, IMO.

https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/au...phobic-coating

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #33
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Water spots are a real PITA with ceramic coatings and Silica sealants. I have had to polish a couple of times outside of the my normal yearly polish due to water spots getting into the Reload...sucks, but I am real OCD about my vehicles and it would drive me nuts to leave them, but that is me. I have tried Carpro Spotless a few times, it is OK, not great, but has saved me a few times if you can get it pretty quickly before the sun bakes them in.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #34
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Water spots are a real PITA with ceramic coatings and Silica sealants. I have had to polish a couple of times outside of the my normal yearly polish due to water spots getting into the Reload...sucks, but I am real OCD about my vehicles and it would drive me nuts to leave them, but that is me. I have tried Carpro Spotless a few times, it is OK, not great, but has saved me a few times if you can get it pretty quickly before the sun bakes them in.
one thing maybe i am not asking correctly or not grasping correctly. My coating is supposed to last me 2 years since it was one coat of ceramic pro. Since coating wears down, should i expect these spots to disappear in time? Thats what my detailer told me. Also he did offer to polish the hood and coat it with a slightly weaker coating this time (6 months) but now i am getting a hard time getting a hold of him.

Again, a good quality coating should repel water spots so i dont know why i have so many.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Again, a good quality coating should repel water spots so i dont know why i have so many.
Who told you that? All ceramic coatings are prone to water spots, it's just the nature of the beast. Maintain the car properly and you won't have so many water spots. You can also use proper water spot treatment products to remove them.

As for why you have so many - I didn't read the thread so maybe you say this somewhere, but chances are the water you're using to wash your car is causing the water spots. I have hard water at my house and make sure to blow dry after a wash followed by a towel dry with some kind of drying aid. Usually rinseless wash.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #36
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harner View Post
Who told you that? All ceramic coatings are prone to water spots, it's just the nature of the beast. Maintain the car properly and you won't have so many water spots. You can also use proper water spot treatment products to remove them.

As for why you have so many - I didn't read the thread so maybe you say this somewhere, but chances are the water you're using to wash your car is causing the water spots. I have hard water at my house and make sure to blow dry after a wash followed by a towel dry with some kind of drying aid. Usually rinseless wash.
I always blow dry after but i think this was probably when my car was out in the driveway for a week or two and it rained, this was when i was getting work done in the garage so i couldnt garage my car
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #37
SSport16

Quote:
one thing maybe i am not asking correctly or not grasping correctly. My coating is supposed to last me 2 years since it was one coat of ceramic pro. Since coating wears down, should i expect these spots to disappear in time? Thats what my detailer told me. Also he did offer to polish the hood and coat it with a slightly weaker coating this time (6 months) but now i am getting a hard time getting a hold of him.

Silica coatings and sealants are known for water spots, unfortunately that is the biggest drawback with them. I won't do ceramic, PITA and not worth it.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #38
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
I always blow dry after but i think this was probably when my car was out in the driveway for a week or two and it rained, this was when i was getting work done in the garage so i couldnt garage my car
My car is outside maybe 50% of the time and I never have water spots from rain that etches the coating. Sure, they will leave dirt spots everywhere. The only time I ever get water spots are if I leave spots from the wash process (or maybe if I'm lazy and hit a car wash with no or crappy dryer) or if a leaf is on the car and water rests under it.

I'm wondering if you have acid rain at your house? I have two coated cars at my house, one with SB3 Alpha (5yr 9H) and a Jetta with SB3 Solo (1yr ceramic spray) and no issues with water spots from rain.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #39
jfearh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harner View Post
My car is outside maybe 50% of the time and I never have water spots from rain that etches the coating. Sure, they will leave dirt spots everywhere. The only time I ever get water spots are if I leave spots from the wash process (or maybe if I'm lazy and hit a car wash with no or crappy dryer) or if a leaf is on the car and water rests under it.

I'm wondering if you have acid rain at your house? I have two coated cars at my house, one with SB3 Alpha (5yr 9H) and a Jetta with SB3 Solo (1yr ceramic spray) and no issues with water spots from rain.
Could be but i have no way of knowing if they are from acid rain or not. Anyways, I went to the detailer yesterday and he spent a good hour and a half polishing my hood and the trunk and then coated it again with a light layer. Atleast over there it seemed like the spots disappeared as he polished it but when i came home, i could still see them kind of reappear but not as strong as last time and this time only if i look hard. In other words, an average person may not notice them at all as they are kind of faint this time but still visible. I am glad that he did something about it and now there are several theories according to him.

1. The spots are on the clear instead of the coating
2. Clear doesnt breath as much as ceramic coating so the spots overtime come to the top and show more

Overall, some of the big spots are still there but i am glad that he did something about it. I am going to maintain the car from here on and when this coating wears down, i will probably learn how to do it myself and really take my time, one panel per day or something so i can get it down the level of perfection i want.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #40
SSport16

If you have hard water it will definitely be a factor into causing those spots. When I had my Cadillac SRX a few years ago we were on vacation in Hilton Head, the house we were staying at had inground sprinklers that came on one morning and soaked the vehicle and left tons of spots in the Reload sealant, I couldn't get them out no matter what I tried, had to strip it and polish, came right out.