Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Fuse pull, will it make your car explode?

The fuse pull. Let's discuss just that. Sorry the other stuff was irrelevant here I think.

Last edited by FoundNemo; 01-08-2020 at 07:33 AM.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
for the below, just take the fuse out and no CEL at all

Exhaust - Unplug the NPP valves in the rear, cover the connectors (male and female) with electrical tape and zip tie them up. There will be no CEL (soft code only for NPP valve not functioning, but no light). Results are a nice tone with little to no drone at all at all times and more pops and gurgles throughout the rev range. Very good sounding. Also noticed a very nice throttle response gain at part throttle in all modes, no change at WOT for power/etc though. If you look at the inside of the NPP mufflers (pics online) for 17+ you can see that when the valves are closed, there is an extremely convoluted and poorly flowing pathway for the exhaust which likely is what causes the throttle response drop, as compared to an open valve. You can always plug them back in from time to time to avoid "sticking" for the valves. Do not unplug the fuse 51 or you are likely to have erratic issues and CEL codes fyi (unlike previous gen ZL1's where this worked fine I think).

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
FoundNemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
for the below, just take the fuse out and no CEL at all

Exhaust - Unplug the NPP valves in the rear, cover the connectors (male and female) with electrical tape and zip tie them up. There will be no CEL (soft code only for NPP valve not functioning, but no light). Results are a nice tone with little to no drone at all at all times and more pops and gurgles throughout the rev range. Very good sounding. Also noticed a very nice throttle response gain at part throttle in all modes, no change at WOT for power/etc though. If you look at the inside of the NPP mufflers (pics online) for 17+ you can see that when the valves are closed, there is an extremely convoluted and poorly flowing pathway for the exhaust which likely is what causes the throttle response drop, as compared to an open valve. You can always plug them back in from time to time to avoid "sticking" for the valves. Do not unplug the fuse 51 or you are likely to have erratic issues and CEL codes fyi (unlike previous gen ZL1's where this worked fine I think).
Removing the fuse can cause issues and CEL's in many instances for 17+ ZL1's, my buddy's car did after a period of time and he had some erratic throttle issues as well (A10 car). Google around. Unplugging the actuators does not (as referenced by the many aftermarket non-NPP compatible exhausts that require unplugging them).
Old 01-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
Removing the fuse can cause issues and CEL's in many instances for 17+ ZL1's, my buddy's car did after a period of time and he had some erratic throttle issues as well (A10 car). Google around. Unplugging the actuators does not (as referenced by the many aftermarket non-NPP compatible exhausts that require unplugging them).
My fuse has been pulled on my 18 for 2 years with no issue
Old 01-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
FoundNemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
My fuse has been pulled on my 18 for 2 years with no issue
Doesnt change the nature of the post. If folks comfortable trying it out, go for it. Either way, the post is about a set of free mods. Moving on..
Old 01-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
gotswap

Mine was pulled with stock exhaust for months, no issues. It is free and quick and easily reversible, those connectors are kind of a pain to get at.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Mine was pulled with stock exhaust for months, no issues. It is free and quick and easily reversible, those connectors are kind of a pain to get at.

I concur. fuse pulled on 2017 for years with no issues, automatic trans.

almost 5 months on current 2018 zl1 with fuse pulled, also automatic, no issues.

This is actually the first I've heard of someone having cel's with a npp fuse pull, ever.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
JasonSB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
No need to pull the fuse. Just go to infotainment and set the exhaust to track. It will keep them open all the time.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSB View Post
No need to pull the fuse. Just go to infotainment and set the exhaust to track. It will keep them open all the time.
No it won't. It will still partially close while cruising.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
JasonSB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
No it won't. It will still partially close while cruising.
I havent noticed that. Same sound for me with the fuse pulled. Although I have headers and its loud any way
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #11
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSB View Post
I havent noticed that. Same sound for me with the fuse pulled. Although I have headers and its loud any way

There is a difference. If you rig up a switch to remotely "pull the fuse", you'll notice the difference. Especially if it's once the muffler gets some heat into it.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
gotswap

It closes at part throttle and cruising. Very noticeable once you get an aftermarket exhaust. Fuse pull keeps it open all the time.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I pulled out the fuse for about a month and noticed my blind spot thing in the mirror didn't work. I put three fuse back in and it still doesn't work.

Honestly im glad it's not there anymore.....
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
Flytetymex

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Sorry for the rookie question. Based on OP's post, keeping the valves open will produce more crackles and gurgles. Is this true? I love this car but the one thing I miss is the constant gurgling I used to get from my Chevy SS even with regular neighborhood driving.
Flytetymex is offline   Reply With Quote