Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #15
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Things like this is why I don’t trust dealers with my cars unless it’s unavoidable.

I passed on the free oil change on my 2016 SS.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #16
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Mobile1 and LT1 owners has always complained in the past of having to run 5W40 Dexos2 for track days and then drain. Now over a year and half Mobile1 has created the 0W40 ESP that suites both track days and daily use without draining and refill with 5W30 Dexos2.

If you goggle Corvette Mobile1 ESP their is plenty of info to read.

The European version does not have the right additives that GM approves and Mobile1 agreed. I would highly suggest going back and correct the dealership and call GM customer care number.

The dealership is probably filling all their LT1 engines with the european blend to be cheap. If they resist then have them prove it in writing by a certified GM engineer says its fine to run the european blend. They need to fill as required by the recommended listings not the interpretation of thier techs of whats good...same stuff mentality.

I personally run Valvoline 5W40 Dexos 2 version because it is listed in my manual to run. Plus the ESP is more expensive and harder to find stocked.

Last edited by Ventura 1LE; 10-02-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #17
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Wait, does the OP own a Corvette?
No, but he owns a Corvette engine.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #18
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Wait, does the OP own a Corvette?
Did you even bother to read the whole thing?
Attached Images

GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The Mobil 1 0w oils tend to be more volatile than their 5w oils. I'm quoting this from the oil gurus over at Bobistheoilguy, who always seem to know more about oil than I thought there was to know!
Given that the LT1 already exhibits increased oil consumption for some members here, I would keep an eye on the oil level after switching to 0w40.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The Mobil 1 0w oils tend to be more volatile than their 5w oils. I'm quoting this from the oil gurus over at Bobistheoilguy, who always seem to know more about oil than I thought there was to know!
Given that the LT1 already exhibits increased oil consumption for some members here, I would keep an eye on the oil level after switching to 0w40.
Mine has shown very little usage, if any, with the 0W-40 ESP after several thousands miles and 2 track days.

Last edited by trohde78; 10-02-2019 at 11:10 AM.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
It's just beyond stupid that a Chevy dealer would be using non Dexos certified oil in a LT1.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that much. But cmon now.

You really have to use the specified oil if you want to keep the car under mfg warranty.
Even on the 2018 Jeep my daughter drives I have to search high and low for the ML Chrysler certified oil that it needs. Are there better oils out there that are not certified? Maybe yes maybe no - doesn't matter. The car is under warranty run the specified oil period. Why on earth wouldn't you do that?
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I constantly read how you should be using exactly that proper spec oil from an owners manual And I agree, but I really take issue that it has to be dexos2 or dexos etc, or type of brand. I realize dexos is a group of specifications, But how does the dealer tell , if you take a car in? Because I know he won’t do a Blackstone/other oil test. I know GM warranty will not pay for the dealer to do it, and is not open to their reps as a solution. If it’s all the same color after use, (black or shades of brown once used), how does he tell?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #23
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I constantly read how you should be using exactly that proper spec oil from an owners manual And I agree, but I really take issue that it has to be dexos2 or dexos etc, or type of brand. I realize dexos is a group of specifications, But how does the dealer tell , if you take a car in? Because I know he won’t do a Blackstone/other oil test. I know GM warranty will not pay for the dealer to do it, and is not open to their reps as a solution. If it’s all the same color after use, (black or shades of brown once used), how does he tell?
My guess is that in the event you have a massive failure (blown engine) GM will run through a battery of tests to determine what happened. Surely if the wrong oil was found to be the culprit, GM can/will deny warrant work to replace and the customer will have to fit the bill. The easy answer to all of this is to follow the owners manual to cya
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
Glen e

Maybe some gm techs can chime in here I really doubt they do an oil test on an engine failure. Just my Opin from managing bmw warranty for several years on the Corp side. We always looked for the proper amount of oil, whether the oil was clear of debris, but never a Blackstone oil test to figure out whether it was something as obtuse as a “dexos ” classification.

Further, has anybody ever seen a post on a Car forum where a manufacturer turned down a warranty because they did an oil test? I never have, that includes the Corvette/ Bmw /Honda and Camaro sites for me…

Last edited by Glen e; 10-02-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #25
Ventura 1LE

OK think about this. if you do your own oil changes and don't document and save receipts ... and the motor lets go under warranty period.. you may be footing the bill due lack of proof.. this includes running a non-recommend type of oil..

Thus it puzzles me a dealership is filling against what is recommended.

Every time I change my own oil. I take a picture of the mileage reset the oil percentage, take a picture of the oil drain, filter replacement and oil going in with the Dexos2 label seen.. in pic... and receipt kept... That way if the engine decides to implode I have that going for me by proof if ever questioned.. CYA thing for sure...

But then again I have seen others get full engine replacement and being their fault// by hitting 1st gear rather 3rd gear over-rev money shot.. on social media...
Just don't want any nuisance of if I were to ever money shot over rev my engine that could be the deal breaker...

Yes it should be addressed with the dealership at least it was documented again within the customer concern block .. when it's taken back to add the proper oil if the engine related issues comes up... under the warranty period.. the issue of concern is well documented..

Last edited by Ventura 1LE; 10-02-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #26
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
I called GM customer service and explained the situation. Customer rep said she documented it and if I experience any problem I should take the car back to dealer. Then I asked about warranty and she said there would be no problem about warranty.

I drove the car with a non dexos 2 oil last 6000 miles so I guess I will still keep going like that until the next oil change, then I will specifically ask for esp dexos 2.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #27
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Then I asked about warranty and she said there would be no problem about warranty.
And there you have it straight from the horses mouth: Run non dexos oil and you have no problems with warranty.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #28
Ventura 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
I called GM customer service and explained the situation. Customer rep said she documented it and if I experience any problem I should take the car back to dealer. Then I asked about warranty and she said there would be no problem about warranty.

I drove the car with a non dexos 2 oil last 6000 miles so I guess I will still keep going like that until the next oil change, then I will specifically ask for esp dexos 2.
I guess your good to go... If they documented it then .. how.. they asked for VIN and Name? (just curious..)
As you said make sure the dealership knows what they did and have the ESP stuff on hand... They need to know it's not ok to be doing this to the LT1s and LT4s they service... better yet go to another dealership..