Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #1
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Convertible issue!!

Was putting the top up and all of a sudden there was cracking plastic and the right back passenger area where it is connected suddenly started to lift off its connection!

I am so upset right now and clueless why this happened.

See the pictures below:
Attached Images

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I remember that happening to someone last year. Dealer replaced it and I don't recall hearing anything more about it. Good luck.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Joegovette

Drives: 2018 Camaro Vert Redline Edition
I bought my new car with that piece already being broken off on the passenger side as well. The dealership is replacing it on Tuesday so it is not just your car. I am sure the dealer will fix and replace it without any issues. I am not sure what else caused the issue on my car, but there are small dents on the drivers side of the metal cover. Make sure to check you car out well.
Joegovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
CamaroSS50

They special ordered the needed parts.

Surmising that it somehow got warped.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Yea, one side of mine isn’t closing flush unless I push on it ... just started happenin, binding in track because the top hinge mechanism is pushing up on the flapper roller guide. Unbelievable.... I think I’ve operated the top maybe 50 times.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
CamaroSS50

My overall issue with this, is the plastic.

I get it, plastic is part of interiors of all my vehicles, but this is some flimsy plastic that is used for much of the Camaro.

The plastic on my Hummer is far more resilient and surprised that a piece that moves as much as it does when engaging the top is as thick as one of those plastic eggs you would get for 50¢ at the local supermarket.

Now my concern is the other side will do the same at some point.

No way this is good for the car nor the top mechanism.

Love the car, not happy with the materials used this far.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
d00mz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Just setup my service appointment for mine. Both of mine broke last night. REALLY not happy.

2020 ZL1 Convertible in Shock

-Bone stock (for now)

2017 ZL1 Convertible in Hyper Metallic Blue (sold)
-stock

2014 ZL1 Convertible in Red Hot (sold)
-Roto Fab Cold Air Intake with larger HX Rez
-2.5inch upper pulley, solid isolator
-Ported Blower Snout
-ARH 2 inch headers and longflow off-road pipes
-1000cc fuel injectors
-NGK TR71X plugs
-Catch Can
-Dyno tuned to 600RWHP
-All work done by Advanced Modern Performance
d00mz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Piss poor design. Had both of mine replaced 2 weeks ago. Took all of 10 minutes. Those panels aren't made out of shit and the whole design is a hell of a lot more complicated than it needed to be. Dealership here does not fool with the tops. They source it out to a local shop that has been doing it for 30+ years. The tech that did mine said they have done quite a few late model Camaros and Vettes with the same issues and the back glass coming unglued. Last thing he told me was "Ifyou keep this car any length of time I will see you again."
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
You have to be a little careful with the rectangular piece that slides into the body of the car when the top is moving (OP's top picture shows it missing), they aren't meant to be weight bearing AT ALL. Those will get off the tracks inside there and break (better) or pop other things off it they don't kind of like a wedge. I had mine replaced on one side because it got stuck in the track and wouldn't move. My kids (6' tall) like to push on those while they hop in the car dukes of hazard style which is not a good thing, they are not designed for that kind of abuse or to hold that much weight so I've had to get on them a few times about being more careful where they put their hands when they get in.

I am guessing the tonneau cover isn't designed to hold people sitting on it either given the structure under it so no parades for mine...
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I remember that happening to someone last year. Dealer replaced it and I don't recall hearing anything more about it. Good luck.
That was me. Had this happen back in Jan. of 2017 after I had my 16 for about 3 months. This is my original thread, https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483973 Took dealership and GM another 2 months to finally fix it.

Happy to report that the replacement part failed today after 18 months. Going to be getting back on the merry-go-round which should be fun since the dealership has changed hands since the initial repair. I doubt anyone one there knows what to do. Figure I might as well get it serviced for A8 shudder while they have it.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
You have to be a little careful with the rectangular piece that slides into the body of the car when the top is moving (OP's top picture shows it missing), they aren't meant to be weight bearing AT ALL. Those will get off the tracks inside there and break (better) or pop other things off it they don't kind of like a wedge. I had mine replaced on one side because it got stuck in the track and wouldn't move. My kids (6' tall) like to push on those while they hop in the car dukes of hazard style which is not a good thing, they are not designed for that kind of abuse or to hold that much weight so I've had to get on them a few times about being more careful where they put their hands when they get in.

I am guessing the tonneau cover isn't designed to hold people sitting on it either given the structure under it so no parades for mine...
Interesting that I just paraded mine on the 22nd, and the replacement part failed again today.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #12
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Mine popped the first week I had the car. Luckily, the dealer had the parts and I've had no trouble since, given that the top on my SS is usually up because I like the way it looks.
Attached Images

ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Joegovette

Drives: 2018 Camaro Vert Redline Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-427 View Post
Mine popped the first week I had the car. Luckily, the dealer had the parts and I've had no trouble since, given that the top on my SS is usually up because I like the way it looks.
We have similar cars . I bought mine new with the passenger side one broken and now the drivers side is broken as well. Mine is going into the same dealer that my 15 vette goes for work so hopefully they fix it correctly. I have issues with the doors closing right, the rear end on cold starts, and the top has made dents on my top cover as well. I am hoping for a solution to all of the issues, or I will trade it in on something else.
Joegovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
urirx98

Drives: 2016 Bumble Bee Yellow 2SS
I bought my 16 SS in January and a few weeks later the same passenger side plastic piece completely stopped closing when the roof went down. I called my dealer and they said no problem, its warranty but when i went to get my oil changed, i told them on phone i needed that fixed and unfortunately
they didnt have the time that day, so now i still have to go back again for it! MY car has also been shaking so ill be making a apt for that aswell!