Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Anyone Painted Their MyLink HU? Need Advice For Interior Trim Colour Slection As Well

Ok, I'm REALLY on the fence here, I don't know how to proceed.

Finaalllly, I have all the silver trim removed from my interior(speedo/tach, steering, manual shifter surround with 4 bezels), including the large centre vent bezel, all sitting neatly here on the floor. The ZL1 door panels that are Carbon Flash metallic will be re-installed as soon as I receive the red ABL lighting. Just thought I'd mention it so that one can see what I'm trying to execute here.

I received a quote to have the centre dash vent bezel black chromed at $125, the two trim pieces on the steering wheel(don't forget mine is a 2013) for $80 each side, the 3rd piece on the bottom of the wheel with the SS for $40(it has to be completely redone and black chromed they say), etc.....as one can see, it all adds up, and the turn around time is 3 weeks at least possible even up to 7 they say...I am almost tempted to spray paint the whole lot myself with either gloss black or Carbon Flash Metallic to match the door panels and wraparound trim that goes along the dash. I checked pricing as well at camarocustoms.com where Lupe resides, of course he does great work, but man, $180 for just my steering wheel is even more expensive than if I black chrome it!

Sooooooo, of course, I'm still left with the MyLink silver surround plastic on it....

My question here is, has anyone ever painted over the MyLink HU's silver plastic?
I tried searching for a pic, but all I could find was the older style HU's from before 2012.

I'm tempted to Plasti Dip ALL of these pieces, but that would be the easy way out, I don't think that would look good or would it.. Maybe I should find some good quality gloss black paint and do it myself? Has anyone done that?

I'm suffering from some sort of writers block here, I don't know how to proceed here . All the other solutions I've examined amount to over half a G note if lucky, I'd rather spend that on headers from Texas Speed or Stianless Power headers.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Camaro Dude

Oh yes, one last thing, yes I emailed 6liter. If he actually has the 2013 wheel trim in black chrome, and not the older style steering wheel trim, and still has in stock the speedo/tach, then I'm golden! I can just send out the large centre vent piece bezel to have it black chromed for $125, even if the downtime is long, I'm good with that deal.

But I have a feeling 6liter won't have the newer style wheel design trim.....pending on his reply back.

If 6liter doesn't have the newer design in black chrome, then my opening post applies.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I talked to Lupe (overhaulengines) about painting my MyLink HU and he told me that he couldn't do it because the paint would cover the indicators. I have never seen it done either, but it make sense why it can't be.

For all the other parts, keep in mind that the prices Lupe shows on his website include replacement pieces, not just painting your existing ones. The prices change substantially if you are just looking for paint and not a whole new pieces. That $180 for the steering wheel bezel gets you a whole new one in the color of your choice.

Not sure what trim pieces on the steering wheel you are talking about. There is only one trim piece on a 2013 wheel. Unless you are talking about the pieces around the radio and cruise control buttons. Here is a pic of mine painted for reference.

Lupe's turnaround time is also much faster. I don't think I have ever waited much more than a week for anything from him, and he has painted a lot of parts for me. If you send him your parts to be painted, I would bet you're price would be a lot cheaper than you are expecting and you'll have them pretty quick.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Camaro Dude

Thank you for that, I'll give them a call.
On their website they seem to only offer the option to send in your pieces on some items only, particularly on the wheel, I don't see that option strangely enough.

I wrote 3 pieces for the steering wheel, because that piece you show in your pic painted in red, snaps into 3 different pieces! You can easily unclip them apart, and I imagine that would be the best way to paint them.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Thank you for that, I'll give them a call.
On their website they seem to only offer the option to send in your pieces on some items only, particularly on the wheel, I don't see that option strangely enough.

I wrote 3 pieces for the steering wheel, because that piece you show in your pic painted in red, snaps into 3 different pieces! You can easily unclip them apart, and I imagine that would be the best way to paint them.
Gotcha. I know that piece is actually 3 pieces, just didn't know if you meant the radio controls since I have seen those painted by some.

I find it best to just shoot Lupe a PM instead of using his website. I have sent him a ton of random parts to be painted for my car (like my sub grill, radiator cover, strut tower caps, reservoir covers, etc), so I guess I am just used to telling him what parts I have and what parts I need from him and what I want on them. His paintwork is great, so he is my go-to guy for just about anything painted on my car!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Left him a message....

Hey dude, quick question for you.
Since the door panels and wrap around dash trim are ZL1 parts in Carbon Flash, should I match ALL of the rest of the silver trim in the same colour, or should I have it all done in an even glossier/shinier black for contrast ?

FYI, the exterior of my car is gloss black.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Left him a message....

Hey dude, quick question for you.
Since the door panels and wrap around dash trim are ZL1 parts in Carbon Flash, should I match ALL of the rest of the silver trim in the same colour, or should I have it all done in an even glossier/shinier black for contrast ?

FYI, the exterior of my car is gloss black.

I am going Carbon Flash on my interior pieces to match the doors and dash trim. I have the shifter bezel and 4 gauge pack already painted Carbon Flash, I'm just waiting to install it with my MyLink when I get the rest of the parts from Gen5. Obviously I did my speedo and steering wheel bezels in Victory Red and have a VR accent on my pistol grip shifter, but the rest will be CFM. I felt it was a good way to tie everything together. I don't know if there would be enough contrast in the CFM and black to really tell a difference on the interior. In the sun the metallic in CFM really pops though.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Camaro Dude

Ok I just communicated with Lupe.
Very pleasant chap to consult with, nice pricing too. You were right, better to communicate directly.

I just struck a deal with him, sending parts out ASAP.

Can't wait to drive in my new interior!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
Ok I just communicated with Lupe.
Very pleasant chap to consult with, nice pricing too. You were right, better to communicate directly.

I just struck a deal with him, sending parts out ASAP.

Can't wait to drive in my new interior!

Awesome! Glad I could help!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
daspes

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS Camaro 1LE
I painted mine a few weeks ago, and cut some new decals to replace the ones that were covered. No pics here on the pork PC, but I think I have one or two on the phone I'll upload in a bit.

2014 Red Hot 2SS 1LE, SP LT headers and HF Cats, CAI intake, lots little crap here and there.

2005 Laguna Blue Matte GTO, RMR CF body Kit, Banshee hood, OBX LT headers, HF Cats, Vararam OTR intake, little crap on this ride too.
daspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
daspes

Only pic I have that shows the radio at all. Not a very good one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red Hot 2SS 1LE, SP LT headers and HF Cats, CAI intake, lots little crap here and there.

2005 Laguna Blue Matte GTO, RMR CF body Kit, Banshee hood, OBX LT headers, HF Cats, Vararam OTR intake, little crap on this ride too.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
I painted mine a few weeks ago, and cut some new decals to replace the ones that were covered. No pics here on the pork PC, but I think I have one or two on the phone I'll upload in a bit.
Hard to judge the fine detail, but all in all, that looks very good!

How did you cut new decals?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
crit719

Drives: 2013 2ss
im interested I knowing the same thing
crit719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
daspes

Quote:
Hard to judge the fine detail, but all in all, that looks very good!

How did you cut new decals?
Vinyl plotter.