Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Where Dash ABL meets Passenger Door ABL...how do I fix that 1 inch Lighting Gap?

Ok, first here is Sledge's interior from a 'lil over a year ago. I did the door ABL 2 years ago, and the dash ABL last year.

Quick introduction, ZL1 panels, massaged with a lil dremel tool action, red led alb theme.

Not too shabby, but I'm STILL itching to re-do it, like where I dremel'd and redrew the ABL "lines" inside of the door panels. My quality imho is not up to par, although others say to me it's good enough.

One thing I'm really not too happy about is the gap, where the passenger side dash ABL, converges with the passenger door ABL. Well, they don't actually converge at all at that curvature point, and there is the problem. Any ideas how to rectify the dash end of it? I'm all ears. The passenger door side ABL "line" was dremel'd all the way forward, so fault now lies with the ABL tube on the dash side.

The drivers side on the other hand I'm happy with. Due to the nature of the design of the dash trim, I fluked that one out, and both door ABL and dash ABL converge, or damned close to it, unlike the passenger side with the 1 inch dark gap spot you see in the pic. Any ideas on how to fix that 1 inch gap on the passenger side?

The kit I bought is SJM, for both doors and dash. I like everything about the kit. Even the dash ABL tube has, as advertised, exhibits uniform lighting, but don't wipe the white lines off the ABL tube with powerful (enough) window cleaner, or isopropyl alcohol, because uniform lighting will go down the tubes pardon the pun. Just wish the passenger side converged more with this kit, on a '13 model that requires the "drill method" for the dash ABL installation.

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Honestly, I cant help you with this issue but im just popping in to say that I love the dash abl youve done and now im itching to do it to mine. Ive heard you can "sand" where the abl dosnt show to make it show if that makes any sense. I haven't taken my doors apart yet so im just guessing here. Good luck
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Sanding

In order to get the ABL all the way to the end, you need to remove the foam rubber and sand the Plexiglas so it can shine through. look at picture and pay attention to the red circles. Remove the light pipe, remove the foam rubber and sand the paint off.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Camaro Dude

Thanks guys, and ^^^you MGD for the pics, but as I described in my last sentence of paragraph #4 , I already dremel'd the door as far as it will go! The door ABL light stretches all the way to the end.

It is the dash ABL on the passenger side that needs some "stretching" hence my question here.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
The only way would be to get a longer pipe. or shift it towards the door and lose it from the drivers side.I don't think SJM can get a longer pipe though, at least not the tuned pipe.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
The only way would be to get a longer pipe. or shift it towards the door and lose it from the drivers side.I don't think SJM can get a longer pipe though, at least not the tuned pipe.
I might reluctantly go ahead and try this, but I seem to recall the drivers side being obnoxiously lopsided looking, when aligning the passenger side just right.

I'll try it again, and see if it somehow manages to look better this time around
Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

You might be better off adding a piece of the non tuned flexible pipe(like the drivers side) to fill that last little gap. And either connecting them together or sliding it in from behind the dash with a 3rd LED. I never really noticed it was like that, but it still looks good even with that little gap.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
You might be better off adding a piece of the non tuned flexible pipe(like the drivers side) to fill that last little gap. And either connecting them together or sliding it in from behind the dash with a 3rd LED. I never really noticed it was like that, but it still looks good even with that little gap.
That's a great idea!

Sooner or later, I need to re-order a tuned passenger ABL pipe from Tony, to replace the existing passenger side one, because I accidently rubbed off the white lines that are etched on the ABL pipe!! Those white lines are what are responsible for dispersing the light evenly, hence "tuned" lighting.

If you look carefully at the passenger side ABL in my picture above, there are two slightly darker spots, like shadows if you will, approx. 2 inches away from the instrument cluster. Right before I closed it all up for a final installation, I wiped off all fingerprints and smudges off of the passenger ABL pipe, using a very mild window/computer screen cleaner, and to my shock , the purported laser etched white lines, rubbed right off in a couple of spots! Where you see the "shadows" is where this occurred. Quite surprising to see the effect of this actually.

Of course I notified Tony @ SJM about this, and he in turn notified his supplier...

This all happened about a year ago, so I'm sure all is good now ; ).

So yeah, I'll use your idea, and thanks for it, it made this thread worth it!

After I install the new passenger side tuned ABL, I'll cut off a portion off the old tuned ABL as you suggested, and fill in that gap, and cross fingers it will look seemless!

GVA 45th 2SS, do you have a pic of your installation? Or did you mean that you didn't notice that gap based on my pic? I'd like to compare yours to mine, well that gap that is.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Old 12-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

You may have an issue with the short piece being brighter, but you never know till you try.
I have NightOwl RGB so I am also able to adjust the brightness of each LED.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

^^^Thank you GVA 45th 2SS, you have been a great help to me!

That looks really neat btw

The black continuity gap seems to be the same with yours, same space distance in between door ABL and dash.

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I always like to pretend I'm OEM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Came across this great DIY while getting ready to do my ABL Dash mod.

http://imichaelc.blogspot.com/2009/0...or-for_09.html
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Heres mine as well, good luck with the install

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369913
Old 05-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP