Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #435
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
https://mashable.com/article/tesla-f...xtra-features/

Yep.... just as I begrudgingly predicted ... one step closer towards a subscription being needed to even use your car
Old 03-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #436
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
That’s how electric car manufacturers keep sucking money from you. They advertise electric as being less maintenance which it is so they have to make the money up with this kind of stuff.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #437
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post

Yep.... just as I begrudgingly predicted ... one step closer towards a subscription being needed to even use your car
Makes me want to go back to a carbureted engine with points and plugs. And a throttle cable. And hydraulic power steering.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #438
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

At least it's only an optional feature that requires active choice on your part to have available.

I could live with that business model for more than a few other features I wouldn't ever use anyway.

Norm
Old 03-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #439

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Paying for the ability to drive hands free...Pretty much a double-stupid arrangement...

Part of the 10K one time fee or the monthly payment option should go to a fund to buy caskets for the people that will get killed by these lazy-ass idiots.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #440
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
At least it's only an optional feature that requires active choice on your part to have available.

I could live with that business model for more than a few other features I wouldn't ever use anyway.

Norm
That's the thing, I feel like it could work depending on the features and cars we are talking about here.

BMW also says they want to do a subscription model for features in their cars, which I don't find surprising because most of their cars fall apart after the warranty expires anyway and I am not sure how accurate this is, but Scotty Kilmer mentioned in one of his videos that 80% of the new BMW cars in the US are leased, which is already like a subscription if you think about it.

Not that I support it in most other cars, however.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #441
Road_Warrior85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
yeah but this is just the first version. Let them have success with it and then it will start being tested in other ways.

Think about how Apple forced adoption of their air pods by getting rid of the earphone jack. Sure, you had a choice, but did you really?

As good as capitalism is, they are always looking for the next way to take our money. That's why I made the Microsoft Office reference a few pages back. It just seems too logical for them to offer a "support" package that includes them collecting data on how we use our vehicles and eventually becomes a subscription model where you pay to use the GM operating system (i.e. the programming in the ECM) and if you don't pay, then the car wont start.

and if GM doesn't do that, ransomware hackers will find a way to do it too
Old 03-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #442
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM has setup Super Cruise on a subscription model after the first 3 years. And if I’m not mistaken you also need OnStar to enable the subscription.

You likely won’t see a subscription to get the car to start but almost certain ADAS will.

Volvo and others have tried a subscription for the cars (not to make them work lol) but as an all in payment for the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, etc. no one has succeed yet.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #443
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
yeah but this is just the first version. Let them have success with it and then it will start being tested in other ways.

Think about how Apple forced adoption of their air pods by getting rid of the earphone jack. Sure, you had a choice, but did you really?

As good as capitalism is, they are always looking for the next way to take our money. That's why I made the Microsoft Office reference a few pages back. It just seems too logical for them to offer a "support" package that includes them collecting data on how we use our vehicles and eventually becomes a subscription model where you pay to use the GM operating system (i.e. the programming in the ECM) and if you don't pay, then the car wont start.

Devil's advocate here, but have you tried using a pair of true wireless headphones? They are very convenient. Gonna be honest, I moved to a wireless unit even before the whole death of 3.5mm jacks thing happened. It's just way too clunky to use wired headphones on a treadmill. If your movement is slightly off, the headphone cord drags the phone off the treadmill, disconnects due to the weight of the phone, and your phone proceeds to fly off the treadmill. Thankfully I didn't break my phone that way, but that got old quick after it happened a few times.

And it's not like there aren't adapters being sold for wired headphones. The USB-C headphone port's problem actually more has to do with the whole digital/analog output mess. The headphones I have at home have both wireless and wired functionalities, and I still use the wireless mode more often because then that means I can walk around and do stuff without having to unplug it every time.

In a way, people already subscribe to a car, sort of. It's called a lease. You don't pay your monthly due, and someone will show up to the door and tow it away. Again, it really depends on how you use the car. For a car people lease then I could see this working, but I doubt anyone will want to put up with this kind of stuff for a car they want to buy and own for a long time.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #444
Road_Warrior85

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Devil's advocate here, but have you tried using a pair of true wireless headphones? They are very convenient. Gonna be honest, I moved to a wireless unit even before the whole death of 3.5mm jacks thing happened. It's just way too clunky to use wired headphones on a treadmill. If your movement is slightly off, the headphone cord drags the phone off the treadmill, disconnects due to the weight of the phone, and your phone proceeds to fly off the treadmill. Thankfully I didn't break my phone that way, but that got old quick after it happened a few times.

And it's not like there aren't adapters being sold for wired headphones. The USB-C headphone port's problem actually more has to do with the whole digital/analog output mess. The headphones I have at home have both wireless and wired functionalities, and I still use the wireless mode more often because then that means I can walk around and do stuff without having to unplug it every time.

In a way, people already subscribe to a car, sort of. It's called a lease. You don't pay your monthly due, and someone will show up to the door and tow it away. Again, it really depends on how you use the car. For a car people lease then I could see this working, but I doubt anyone will want to put up with this kind of stuff for a car they want to buy and own for a long time.
oh for sure, wireless is the only way to go for any kind of fitness use and certainly more convenient. But Apple didn't do it to help the end user. It was to push them towards an end state. Just like laptops ditching the CD drive. Im sure that helped encourage some people to move into cloud storage.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #445
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Just a few years away and we will be able to download exhaust notes from Apple for $1.99 that play out the EV’s exterior speakers. Crazy times for sure.

On a side note, my bro just told me he put a Tesla model 3 on order for lease. He got the performance model which is 0-60 in 3.1. I tell him I don’t need to be the quickest in a straight line. Hell I don’t need the be the quickest anywhere but looking forward to checking an EV up close performance wise.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:04 AM   #446
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Paying for the ability to drive hands free...Pretty much a double-stupid arrangement...

Part of the 10K one time fee or the monthly payment option should go to a fund to buy caskets for the people that will get killed by these lazy-ass idiots.
the lawyers will love it though...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 AM   #447
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
with any luck i have bought my last new car.the future of the camaro is looking pretty dim if GM is depending on me.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #448
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

For me I just bought the $10 dongle for my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. Works like it always did, so we weren't forced. You had a choice and I took that one without changing anything really.